Sabayon Linux 3.0 RC 2 is Out

havnblast

Well I was Bored so decided to install the 32 bit version of Sabayon on my computers hard drive. I had an extra 11 GB partition so I partitioned it with boot-it-ng and booted up with the Live DVD. I used the advanced mode for the install so I could put the bootloader (grub) in the root partition and not in the MBR. The install was slow slow slow took over an hour. :thumbsup: a couple of time I thought it had quit running. The install itself was a no brainer. I have been playing around with it for the past couple of hours with no problems. I am using the KDE Desktop and will try a session with Gnome after awhile. one thing that seems to be nice is the fact that when I went to use the package manager it backed up all of the present files. I guess this was so if an update or a package broke I could go back to the original. I guess I will have to learn more about this and the package manager. I understand that it is one of the better package managers around.Well enough for now. I will be back in arizona next week and can install the 64 bit version then. Of course my machine here in Nevada is only a athlon 24 with 512 MB Ram and an ata 100 IBM HD. So I don't expect it to perform like my main machine in arizona.Mel :whistling:

I don't think it took that long to install the 64 bit on my machine - 1/2 hour am thinkin?? I just don't remember.I see they have a gui package manager kurro or something like that - I couldn't get that to install enemy territory, seems like it needs a lot of work. It did update itself tho with the repository.I am use to the emerge commands so that is what I always use.Weird part - this morning I had to reboot back to windows so my daughters could play their Sims2. My bootloader was gone completely. All I had was a flashing cursor, so I dropped in the xp disk and did the FIXMBR thing and got windows back, so now I have to figure out how to get the grub back.Never had anything like that happen. Just like it went corrupt or something. Hope that isn't a sign of a hd dieing off. It's definately one of my older drives.So anyway the 3.0 final is due out in like 2 weeks so I just may wait for that, but I am definately gonna do the 32 bit install so I don't have to fight the multimedia web stuff. Seems like it works only 1/2 the time for the 64 bit systems. Seems like I see this with most 64 bit systems, which is too bad cause it flies otherwise.One thing I noticed too was that in enemy-territory the 64 bit, the sound was choppy, but it ran just fine. Something to do with emulating sound I guess.

I think I have figured out why it took so long to install. It installed a Gillion files. Apts and Utils. so far no problems with it and I switched to the gnome desktop and it loaded a lot faster than KDE. Not so much eye candy I guess. I also instakked a util called (Klik) that was on the desktop after I installed to the hard drive. It seems to be a kind of virtual machine so you can run programs that you download in a protected shell without worry about dependencies. It does not change anything on your system when you install one of the programs available. I will have to try it out and do some experamenting with it. see my post of last week about the grub bootloader a real easy way to get it back. Hope this helps..Mel :) Here is how to recover your boot loader if using grub:1. Boot from a Live CD, like Ubuntu Live, Knoppix, Mepis, or similar.2. Open a Terminal. Open a root terminal (that is, type "su" in a non-Ubuntu distro, or "sudo -i" in Ubuntu). Enter root passwords as necessary.3. Type "grub" which makes a GRUB prompt appear.4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.5. Type "root (hd0,3)".6. Type "setup (hd0,3)". This is key. Other instructions say to use "(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".7. Type "quit".8. Restart the system. Remove the bootable CD.

weird I did all that and it says success when all done, but no grub upon reboot. tried with kubuntu and sabayon livecds
Where were you trying to put grub and if multi booting what are you using as a boot manager?If you wanted to put grub in the MBR then you have to use the first hard drive (hd0) if you want to put it in the root partition then you have to use the comma and the number of the partition. (hd0,12) for example would be The first HD and partition 12 remembering that grub starts the first partition as zero so it would really be (hda13) the find command finds all off the grubs stage1's that are on your drive and you have to choose the one for the distro that you are using. Hope I have not confused matters here. I can tell you this. it works for me and has worked several times when I overwrote my MBR and needed to put grub in its own root partition. (I use a third party boot manager) and Multi boot 6 or 7 distros as well as a few windows os's and hidden partitions. I can help you better if I know what you are trying to do..Mel :whistling:

the find command finds it on a (hd2,6) so I have tried both ways using (hd2) and (hd2,6) I only have one ata drive, rest are satas and the ata drive is the one that holds the MBR which is hda1 - I tried a (hd1,6) but it complains that it can't find it. I was strictly only using Grub - no other boot managersDual boot with windows, which I am not worried aboutI printed out my grub.conf from when I had Sabayon RC 1

default 0timeout 10splashimage=(hd1,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gztitle=RR4 GNU/Linuxroot (hd1,6)kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-reiser4-r3-nosmp root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc doslowusb dobladecenter ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda7  splash=silent,theme:default CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 vga=791 quiet  initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-reiser4-r3-nosmptitle=RR4 GNU/Linux - Restore X.Org Configurationroot (hd1,6)kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-reiser4-r3-nosmp root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc doslowusb dobladecenter ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda7  splash=silent,theme:default CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 vga=791 quiet  initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-reiser4-r3-nosmptitle=RR4 GNU/Linux Failsaferoot (hd1,6)kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-reiser4-r3-nosmp root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc doslowusb dobladecenter ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda7  video=vesafb:off nox nodma acpi=off nohdparm nohotplug nocoldplug  initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.16-reiser4-r3-nosmptitle=Windows XProotnoverify (hd0,0)makeactivechainloader +1

so you would think hd1,6 would be it no?

the find command finds it on a (hd2,6) so I have tried both ways using (hd2) and (hd2,6) I only have one ata drive, rest are satas and the ata drive is the one that holds the MBR which is hda1 - I tried a (hd1,6) but it complains that it can't find it. I was strictly only using Grub - no other boot managersDual boot with windows, which I am not worried abouttitle=Windows XProotnoverify (hd0,0)makeactivechainloader +1[/code]so you would think hd1,6 would be it no?
according to the find command the stage1 that it found is on Hard Drive 3 partition 7 (hd2,6) and according to your config file above your windows is on hard drive 1 partition 1 which is (hd0,0) you have to remember that grub starts the numbering of drives and partitions at 0 Zero, so drive one to Grub is 0 Zero (hd0) drive 2 is is (hd1) and drive three is (hd2) and the partitions are numbered the same way. see your windows partition abovewhich is (hd0,0) which is hard drive 1 partition 1 to put grub in the mbr if the mbr is on the first hard drive then you would do this.after you have found stage1 do this Type "root (hd2,6)", or whatever your harddisk + boot partition numbers are. (my /boot is at /dev/sda7, which translates to hd0,6 for grub).5. Type "setup (hd0)", or whatever your harddisk nr is that the mbr is in that you want to use..6. Quit grub by typing "quit". I hope that this clarifys things for you.Good LuckMel :whistling: Edited by mhbell

ok, that worked but now I am faced with nothing but a blinking cursor again, like it can't load the mbr or something.the grub menu list should come up allowing me to choose. The POST screen comes up fine but it's like it can't find anything to boot, no system error of can't find an operating system either, so I dunno what is going on.

ok, that worked but now I am faced with nothing but a blinking cursor again, like it can't load the mbr or something.the grub menu list should come up allowing me to choose. The POST screen comes up fine but it's like it can't find anything to boot, no system error of can't find an operating system either, so I dunno what is going on.
You might try looking at a post on grub that I did earlier. also here is a link to a excellent trouble shooter and tutorial for grub.grub trouble shooter and tutorialMel :whistling:

Now I'm sure that both of you guys know about the following but in case someone is new to Grub we should remind them that after we make a change we do have to "grub-install /dev/hda" wherever the grub bootloader is for the change to take place. Right?

Edited by réjean

I have no idea, I like lilo - never had problems with liloI just reinstalled, but went with the 32 bit mini version. Every thing is working great

I have no idea, I like lilo - never had problems with liloI just reinstalled, but went with the 32 bit mini version. Every thing is working great
I tried I don't know how many times to install RC2 but it would freeze in different places. So I downloaded and burnt the 32 bit mini version ( on a CD ) and it installed flawlessly. Edited by réjean

• 2 weeks later...

Final has been released with many bug fixes.NEW FEATURES: Upgrade your Gentoo-based distro to SabayonLinux or upgrade your current RR4/RR64/SabayonLinux installation? Now it's possible! (Read more below) Out of the box Intel Macs support and Intel video cards Direct Rendering support Along ColdWar Demo, now there's the Quake4 Demo Added the possibility to configure Boot Settings using SabayonLinux Installer X.Org 7.1.1 KDE-meta ebuilds using Kopete 0.12.1 (KDE 3.5.4) SabayonLinux 3 now uses gentoo-sources, currently version 2.6.17-r7 Early Compiz initialization for KDE and XFCE GPT Partitions support and A20 Gate fixes for GRUB legacy GPT Partitions support for SabayonLinux Installer New GTK Cairo enabled theme (MurrinaGilouche) and SLAB Menu for our Gnome users Completed the SabayonLinux KDE theming (Colours and ksplash) KDM SabayonLinux theme now sports fancy users selection XGL and Compiz updates (switched to cgwd and csm) Bug fixes, important updates and new applications (for a complete list of the packages, see below): Updated Wine to 0.9.20 (x86/x86-64) Updated ALSA to 1.0.12 (x86/x86-64) Updated Amarok to 1.4.3 (x86/x86-64) Updated Mozilla Firefox to 1.5.0.6 (x86/x86-64) Updated Portage snapshot to 2006-08-26 Updated NVIDIA Drivers to 8774 Updated ATi Drivers to 8.28.8 Updated WengoPhone to 2.0RC2 on x86 Updated Qt with qt-copy patches Fix OpenGL configuration for multiple video cards (only a better behaviour) Fixed (workaround) Radeon 9600 OpenGL acceleration (forced to use X.Org video drivers) Changed sabayonlinux UID to 1000 on SabayonLinux x86 Added acl and oav USE flags to Samba Added VIDEO_DEVICES variable to make.conf Fixed DRI support for non-ATI/NVIDIA video cards Switched to the new domain management inside /etc/conf.d/net The Installer Updater has been fixed and it now uses kioexec to show the download progress under KDE Fix 20-storage-methods.fdi (aka: phisical drives visualization under KDE/GNOME) Fixed IPv6 support inside /etc/hosts after Install Fixed KDE media devices handler popups under Installation (mediamanager gets disabled) Added jimmac-xcursors via Portage Added MSI and MSI-X PCI support to kernel Switched "Memory Model" to "Sparse" on x86-64 Small fixes on /etc/conf.d/rc (network services are managed by NetworkManager stack) Added "tk" USE flag to Python 2.4.3 /usr/bin/compiz-wrapper kindly rewritten Fixed odd behaviours of the Installer Updater. Added XkbRules to /etc/X11/xorg.conf on x86 Solved a critical problem about "localized --> òàù <-- characters" on x86 Added a workaround for NX binaries on x86-64 (to use 32bit libraries) Removed eth1394 module Removed ESSID and WIFI password settings from Anaconda since we use NetworkManager stack Removed Mozilla and added Seamonkey instead Removed critical /etc/env.d/50nxcomp environment file on x86-64 Added Twinkle 0.8.1 Added alsa-firmware 1.0.12 Added some XFCE4 plugins and applets Added Gwenview 1.3.92 Added resolvconf-gentoo and switched to that Added zh_TW/CN Language support Added scim/skim support Added SolarWolf 1.5 (Game) Added xrdp RDP Server Added unix2dos dos2unix utilities Added multipath-tools Added bcm43xx-fwcutter on x86-64 Added x11vnc Added mplayerplug-in Added slocate Added dmidecode Added recode Added udftools Added rt2570 drivers (from CVS)Get more Information and Download Sites:http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1278Servers are gonna get hit hard and torrents are out. At the moment the x86 version has more seeders than the 64 bit.