Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• sunrat
      Nice work on the infer/imply dichotomy. (Haha now we have to look up "dichotomy").   I was most dismayed to install the new Harrison Mixbus 32C v6 on both Win 10 and AVLinux and find the GUI works much better on Win.   Freezes up with more than 2 plugins showing in AVL but I tested with 8 plugins open in Win with no problem. It's a known frustration with Mixbus/Linux/Nvidia judging from posts on the forums. Something to do with the Nvidia graphics card and OpenGL used for the plugin GUIs. And no, Nouveau is just as bad. I'd really like to stay with Linux for audio work though, the backend is better. So I'm the same arbitrary level number as Eric, I guess, #1 in my scale. 😏  Linux for most stuff, dual-boot Win when needed. Can't be bothered with Wine or Steam though, I only have about 2 games on Win, which I hardly play lately anyway, Ace Combat 7 and NFS: Most Wanted (2012 version).
    • sunrat
      Very strange. Nvidia stuff listed here: root@buster-brain:~# vrms Non-free packages installed on buster-brain firmware-misc-nonfree Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne firmware-realtek Binary firmware for Realtek wired/wifi/BT adapters intel-microcode Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs libegl-nvidia0 NVIDIA binary EGL library libgl1-nvidia-glvnd-glx NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX library (GLVND variant) libgles-nvidia1 NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 1.x library libgles-nvidia2 NVIDIA binary OpenGL|ES 2.x library libglx-nvidia0 NVIDIA binary GLX library libnvidia-cbl NVIDIA binary Vulkan ray tracing (cbl) library libnvidia-cfg1 NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library libnvidia-eglcore NVIDIA binary EGL core libraries libnvidia-fatbinaryloader NVIDIA FAT binary loader libnvidia-glcore NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX core libraries libnvidia-glvkspirv NVIDIA binary Vulkan Spir-V compiler library libnvidia-ml1 NVIDIA Management Library (NVML) runtime library libnvidia-ptxjitcompiler1 NVIDIA PTX JIT Compiler libnvidia-rtcore NVIDIA binary Vulkan ray tracing (rtcore) library nvidia-alternative allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider nvidia-driver NVIDIA metapackage nvidia-driver-bin NVIDIA driver support binaries nvidia-driver-libs NVIDIA metapackage (OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES libraries) nvidia-egl-common NVIDIA binary EGL driver - common files nvidia-egl-icd NVIDIA EGL installable client driver (ICD) nvidia-kernel-dkms NVIDIA binary kernel module DKMS source nvidia-kernel-support NVIDIA binary kernel module support files nvidia-legacy-check check for NVIDIA GPUs requiring a legacy driver nvidia-vdpau-driver Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix - NVIDIA dr nvidia-vulkan-common NVIDIA Vulkan driver - common files nvidia-vulkan-icd NVIDIA Vulkan installable client driver (ICD) xserver-xorg-video-nvidia NVIDIA binary Xorg driver Contrib packages installed on buster-brain glx-alternative-mesa allows the selection of MESA as GLX provider glx-alternative-nvidia allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX provider glx-diversions prepare for using accelerated GLX implementations from iucode-tool Intel processor microcode tool nvidia-installer-cleanup cleanup after driver installation with the nvidia-inst nvidia-kernel-common NVIDIA binary kernel module support files nvidia-modprobe utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and create devic nvidia-persistenced daemon to maintain persistent software state in the NV nvidia-settings tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver nvidia-support NVIDIA binary graphics driver support files update-glx utility for switching the GLX implementation 30 non-free packages, 1.7% of 1729 installed packages. 11 contrib packages, 0.6% of 1729 installed packages. Interesting the netinstall only installed the non-free firmware packages actually needed by the hardware. Not unexpected though as that is a configuration option with the advanced install. It's also possible to install every firmware package in case you want a portable installation.
    • securitybreach
      Cerberus :: ~ » vrms steam-native-runtime: ['None'] pcloud-drive: []   Non-free packages: 2   Odd that nvidia wasn't listed.
    • V.T. Eric Layton
      You're the #1 Sunrat, though.     Nah... because level 6 states:   Level 6 You run Windows but run Linux on a separate machine.   This implies that Windows is the PRIMARY OS used. That's definitely NOT the case for me. The ONLY time Windows gets booted on my machine is to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Chernobyl (a mod of the original three games in the series). And lately, this hasn't been happening much. I haven't booted Windows in about three months, if I remember correctly.   So, there... JMO.   ===   Edited: to correct my incorrect usage of the word "infer" in place of the corrected "imply", as per Fowler's Dictionary of Usage (1965):     Now you've learned something. It wasn't a wasted day.
    • sunrat
      I refuse to be categorised by mere numbers.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• securitybreach
    • Hedon James
    • frapper
    • Pete!
    • sunrat
  • Today's Birthdays

1. hkspike
      hkspike
      (61 years old)
    2. Marsden11
      Marsden11