Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• For now... 😬   I've never used or thought much about VPNs but this made me read a bit more and learn that VPNs can be less secure than what one would hope for. The VPN operators apparently rent servers from hundreds of providers around the world so are not in direct control of these. The Nord hack was possible because of a security breach in a third-party provider. More interesting reading: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/nordvpn-torguard-admit-being-hacked-but-thats-just-the-beginning
    • Dev channel update to 79.0.308.1 is live Added features: Added initial annotation features to PDFs. Added support for using a pen/stylus to move and resize windows. Improved the browser sign-in experience and added new profile icons. Added an error dialog for when the browser is in a state where it can’t be signed into (for example, when running as an Administrator). Added a link to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard from within Settings. Added text indicating if a window is InPrivate or Guest to the tooltip that appears when hovering over the Taskbar icon. Added the ability to edit the names of items in Collections. Added more links to documentation from within the F12 Dev Tools. Added more icons to certain places in the browser such as context menus.
    • This is from a trip in May 2019.   Had a 4 day holiday in May in Snowdonia. It was one of those save up the coupons for a caravan holiday that the Sun does every year. We managed to book a three bedroom unit, with site passes and towels and bedding with the beds made up for a super expensive £50 each. The site was fifty yards from Black Rock Sands although we did not spend much time on the beach. We did paddle up to our knees one evening though. http://beachguide.wales/midwales/blackrock.php This is the valley leading up to the Llanberis Pass. The A408 looking west down the valley at Llyn Gwynant.     Down the pass we find Llyn Padarn     This is the Menai Bridge photo stop on our trip to     the station with that name     Being only a couple of miles away from here we just had to visit to try and find 6. Probably the most expensive part of the trip as we had a ice cream, and a coffee and a slice of cake.   For those of you too young to remember 6,   I am not a number. I am a free man.   They have certainly made the place look tons better than the last time I visited.     An even though it had not rained for some time we had to stop at Swallow Falls   Was a great trip and not one single rain drop. Pics were all from me mates phones as I did not have space to take me camera. I'll post a couple of pics of the bikes when me mate gets around to sending me them. Mileage was 750 for the whole trip and me Royal did 82 to the gallon.    
    • Seems like I have neglected this thread. So here are some updates on my two wheeled life.   This one is from back in Aug 2018.   Rode out on the Royal yesterday. Was supposed to be a short ride but I ended up on a 200 mile marathon as the sky was blue and it was luverly and warm. First stop should have been Llandelio where I fancied a cup of coffee at a bikers cafe. However the cafe had around fifty Hells Angels sitting outside on the tables and low walls. At least I recon there was around fifty of them, I did ride by very slowly and had a good old gawk at all the bikes lining the roadside. I decided that it was too crowded and carried on y journey. http://www.enchantedtowy.co.uk/llandeilo.htm   Next up was Llandovery which should have been the end of the journey. There is a bikers cafe opposite the castle car park. Once again there were tons of bikes and slightly cleaner leather clad folk thronging the tables and street. As I need a drink and facilities I decide to stop. Cafe prices were partly a decider in this decision, £3.50 for a large mug of milky coffee and a slice of home made Victoria sponge. I recon my good ol Royal was the smallest bike parked up amongst all the large modern high powered speedsters. It did attract a fair amount of attention and comment but thankfully no one twigged I was the owner so I did not have to do the "yes its new, yes its made in India etc etc etc" speech. http://www.enchantedtowy.co.uk/llandovery.htm   I have not come up with a way to carry me camera comfortably and safely yet so hence the stock pics. They are probably better than mine would be anyway. So suitably refreshed I set of home. Hey up though what did that sign say ? Llyne Brianne Dam and only eleven miles away. Sounds interesting , lets have a look. The road to the dam is narrow and follows the most delightful valley with glimpses of super scenery and ends up here, http://www.enchantedtowy.co.uk/llyn_brianne_and_the_upper_towy.htm   As the water level is pretty low at the moment water does not run down the slipway but comes out of pipes from the generator. An it were a grand sight too.   Overnight motorhome stops are allowed so I might very well spend a odd night or two up there at some point. I had long leisurely cruise home and arrived rather late on at around eight thirty. Best of all as on the journey out there was hardly any traffic going my way. As on the way out though the other side of the road was chock a block. I pity the poor sods on the Red Roses by pass, almost five miles long. Mind you it was all down hill so anyone with any sense would have cut the engine and coasted slowly down the hill.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bookmem