Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• V.T. Eric Layton
      TrickBot Now Harvests Windows Active Directory Credentials   By Lawrence Abrams  | January 23, 2020  |  04:07 PM   A new module for the TrickBot trojan has been discovered that targets the Active Directory database stored on compromised Windows domain controllers.  
    • zlim
      My friends in Canberra were safely home and the cars garaged so they personally suffered no damage. So far, so good for them.   I'm not sure about the dust storm and a possible friend from decades ago. It was near the town of Parkes. When I went to Oz in 1971 to teach school, there were a bunch of us Yanks who hung around together during the 2 week training period in Sydney. One of the gals from Spokane, Washington got sent to Parkes to teach.  Since she was so far removed from us, three of us took a train to visit her weekends several times until she got acclimated and made friends in Parkes. We lost touch with her. (this was way before the advent of personal computers and smart phones. Now it is so much easier to stay in contact.) She probably got married and has a different surname. We don't know if she stayed or returned to the US.  The guy from OK moved back to the states. I returned to the states where my teaching job was waiting for me and the gal from upper NY State married a guy from Los Angeles and those are my friends living in Canberra since the mid 1970's.
    • Digerati
      Out of luck? First, there is no evidence any of the data was accessed or stolen by any unauthorized person. It was a breach, not a hack.    Second, the exposed data did NOT contain real names, street addresses, phone numbers, passwords, account numbers, Social Security numbers, birthdates, driver's license numbers, etc. - data that has been exposed by other breaches, like that Robinhood breach or worse, the Equifax "hack" where the bad guys actually stole the exposed data.    There is a HUGE difference between a "breach" (where sensitive data is exposed - but not necessarily exploited) and a "hack" where bad guys gain unauthorized access and exploit said breach or other vulnerability.     I agree! 100%! Or rather, I would agree if that actually happened. But there is zero evidence any bad guy got anyone's IP and email addresses. By all reports, the good guys discovered the breach, and Microsoft fixed it BEFORE any bad guy had a chance to discover (hack in) and exploit it.    So it could have been bad. But it wasn't. 
    • securitybreach
      Well I dont know about home users but for a major corporation, this is a huge deal. Getting IPs and work email addresses is plenty of enough of a threat for companies. Correlating IPs with username@corporation.com could open up said companies for an attack vector. I am thinking about it from a stand point of a major corporation, not a home customer.
    • securitybreach
      So if only 15% had personal user info....  37,500,000 users are outta luck.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• sunrat
    • V.T. Eric Layton
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Bookmem
    Newest Member
    Bookmem