Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• sunrat
      - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Debian Security Advisory DSA-4696-1 security@debian.org https://www.debian.org/security/ Moritz Muehlenhoff June 06, 2020 https://www.debian.org/security/faq - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Package : nodejs CVE ID : CVE-2020-8174 CVE-2020-11080 Debian Bug : 962145 Two vulnerabilities were discovered in Node.js, which could result in denial of service and potentially the execution of arbitrary code. For the stable distribution (buster), these problems have been fixed in version 10.21.0~dfsg-1~deb10u1.   - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Debian Security Advisory DSA-4697-1 security@debian.org https://www.debian.org/security/ Salvatore Bonaccorso June 06, 2020 https://www.debian.org/security/faq - ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Package : gnutls28 CVE ID : CVE-2020-13777 Debian Bug : 962289 A flaw was reported in the TLS session ticket key construction in GnuTLS, a library implementing the TLS and SSL protocols. The flaw caused the TLS server to not securely construct a session ticket encryption key considering the application supplied secret, allowing a man-in-the-middle attacker to bypass authentication in TLS 1.3 and recover previous conversations in TLS 1.2. For the stable distribution (buster), this problem has been fixed in version 3.6.7-4+deb10u4.
    • securitybreach
    • Hedon James
      Clone your Win VM.  Quicker to restore the clone than troubleshoot & solve.
    • raymac46
      When it comes to virtual computing I swing both ways. Like many Linux users I have Linux on the rails as host, with a Windows guest. But I also run a Windows 10 host with a couple of possible Linux guests. I find the latter to be better for me. Here's why: I have little use for virtual Windows. Most of the stuff I use Windows for is very graphics intensive - train sims, photo management. That just doesn't work in a virtual machine. Licensing hassles. I can install Linux anywhere including on Windows hosts without any licensing issues. My Windows guest is activated - it's an upgraded Windows 7 install from a deceased laptop - but I am pretty sure it's a pirate install. I am not about to buy a retail copy to use in a VBox though. Security - my on the rails Windows has Eset and Malwarebytes to protect it. In VBox I just have Windows Defender. Updates - I use Windows in VBox so infrequently I am probably years behind in updates. VBox itself. I found in the past that the Windows version was a bit better than the Linux version when it comes to performance. VBox is getting better in Linux though. Recreational computing. I am much more likely to want to use Linux on Windows than vice versa. I have been tempted to get rid of my virtual Windows install but it took me so long to get it working in the first place L hesitate to do it. There is a fair sunk cost in time and aggravation. So I guess it'll stay unless I get malware.
    • V.T. Eric Layton
      Hasn't NY heard of cremation? It's much more efficient and uses less real estate. Next, I guess they'll be floating the dead out to dump off the continental shelf like they used to do with the garbage barges in the 60s and 70s. Actually, they may still dump garbage like that. I don't know for sure.   Is there a Soylent processing plant in NYC? 😵
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• raymac46
  • Today's Birthdays

1. jmoschell
      jmoschell
      (54 years old)
    2. PeteSki
      PeteSki
      (59 years old)
    3. Rin
      Rin
      (34 years old)