After latest PCLos updates

rpiz

I downloaded and installed the recent updates for PCLos and now have (7) sevenicons on the desktop, one for each partition per my setup. This has never happenedin the past and I would like to remove them without creating a problem.Secondly, In MDK 10.1 after doing updates, the bootup screen lists 'Gnome' asthe default manager. How can I set KDE as the default manager and not have to setit after each boot?Tnx :rolleyes:

Hi RpizYou first problem has an easy answer: Go to the KDE Control Center --> Look and Feel --> Behavior . . . on the last tab uncheck the box "show device Icons" . . or if you still want some devices on the desktop only uncheck the relevant ones below :DYour second question: Once you set it to boot from KDE does it still boot Gnome the next time ?? . . . ( it should say "previous" and KDE ):rolleyes: Bruno

Hi Bruno;Welcome back! Regarding the second question, after resetting the boot to KDE it continues to goback to Gnome on the next reboot. :rolleyes:

Hi Bruno;This one is better:[rp@~]$ cat /etc/kde/kdm/Xsession#! /bin/sh# Xsession - run as user# Note that the respective logout scripts are not sourced.case $SHELL in */bash) [ -z "$BASH" ] && exec $SHELL $0 "$@" set +o posix [ -f /etc/profile ] && . /etc/profile if [ -f $HOME/.bash_profile ]; then . $HOME/.bash_profile elif [ -f $HOME/.bash_login ]; then . $HOME/.bash_login elif [ -f $HOME/.profile ]; then . $HOME/.profile fi ;; */zsh) [ -z "$ZSH_NAME" ] && exec $SHELL $0 "$@" emulate -R zsh [ -d /etc/zsh ] && zdir=/etc/zsh || zdir=/etc zhome=${ZDOTDIR:-$HOME} # zshenv is always sourced automatically. [ -f $zdir/zprofile ] && . $zdir/zprofile [ -f $zhome/.zprofile ] && . $zhome/.zprofile [ -f $zdir/zlogin ] && . $zdir/zlogin [ -f $zhome/.zlogin ] && . $zhome/.zlogin ;; */csh|*/tcsh) # [t]cshrc is always sourced automatically. # Note that sourcing csh.login after .cshrc is non-standard. set -a eval `$SHELL -c 'if (-f /etc/csh.login) source /etc/csh.login > /dev/null; if (-f ~/.login) source ~/.login > /dev/null; /bin/sh -c set | egrep -v "^(BASH_VERSINFO|EUID|PPID|UID|GROUPS|SHELLOPTS|_)="'` set +a ;; *) # Plain sh, ksh, and anything we don't know. [ -f /etc/profile ] && . /etc/profile [ -f $HOME/.profile ] && . $HOME/.profile ;;esac[ -f /etc/xprofile ] && . /etc/xprofile[ -f $HOME/.xprofile ] && . $HOME/.xprofilecase $1 in "") exec xmessage -center -buttons OK:0 -default OK "Sorry, $DESKTOP_SESSION is no valid session." ;; failsafe) exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0 ;; custom) exec $HOME/.xsession ;; default) exec /usr/bin/startkde ;; *) eval exec "$1" ;;esacexec xmessage -center -buttons OK:0 -default OK "Sorry, cannot execute $1. Check $DESKTOP_SESSION.desktop."

default) exec /usr/bin/startkde
That one looks good . . . . now what happens if you do not set it to KDE or Gnome .. . but to "default" at the login . . . . what gets started ??B) Bruno

Bruno...I rebooted and this time selected 'Default' and I got KDE. I then rebooted again to see if it remainedas 'Default' but it returned to 'Gnome'? B)

This is NUTS . . . . . okay try this: . . set it to "default" ( or KDE ) and do not reboot . . but once the desktop is up only log out . . . . . and see how it is set then ( previous ? ) and log back in again.B) Bruno

Bruno...Even setting it to 'Default' it gives me the same result and that is "Gnome'; which I have tochange to "KDE'.In any event I have to leave the forum in a couple minutes; but if you think of other solutions pleasepost them and I will check back. Thanks

Well I have a few measures we can take . . . but we need time to check them out and resore them if they go wrong . . .have a look in

# ls -al /etc/kde/kdm

Is there a "/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew" ?? . . .that is the one I want to test . . but we first have to back up "/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc" to "etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc-OLD" and then make the rmpnew one the /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc . . . . But I really would like us to be online the 2 of us when we try that . . . .B) ( because it may very well be the the rpmnew is even worse :( . . . . but it could be better too :) ):( Bruno

Anothere thing you could try first is this: MCC --> System --> Display Manager . . . . set it to XDM . . . reboot and log back in and set it again to MdkKDM ( and reboot again ) . . . and let us hope it reads the config again and be cured fom this strange behavior.If not, check out XDM . . .does it have the same error ? ( basically MdkKDM uses the xdm files too B) ):( BrunoUPDATE: I just see that in the last updates there was "kdebase-kdm-config-file" . . . so I think that my gamble on the /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc and /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew ( post above ) could be a good one :) . . . . . but again let us do this together so I am sure you have a backup of the current one made first. ( a corrupt kdmrc can really make an ugly mess )

Bruno...I tried the 'XDM' display manager, rebooted and it too came up 'Gnome'. Ithen reset the display manager back to 'Mdkkdm' and rebooted and it cameup the same 'Gnome' in the login screen. :drooling:

:P there goes my little gamble down the drain . . . . . so it is not the kdmrc ;) The funy thing is that I keep on searching for the config file in use . . . . it used to be /etc/X11/Xsession . . . but that one does not look a bit like it used to in the "old days" . . . :(Maybe you could have a look in your /home and see if you have any of the following files:/home/rpiz/.desktop/home/rpiz/.xsession ( or Xsession )/home/rpiz/.Xclients( not the xsession-errors . . that one is fillled with garbadge anyway )Those could override the default behavior . . . . . . . in "normal" circumstances you will not have those 3, but if one of them is there it could indicate where this funny bug comes from.Also please show me:
# ls -al /etc/X11/wmsession.d

B) Bruno

Hi Bruno;Of the three files that you had mentioned, I have '/home/rp/.desktop'.And the show me:[rp@~]$ ls -al /etc/X11/wmsession.dtotal 24drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 7 10:53 ./drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4096 Dec 7 19:30 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 117 Oct 4 07:11 01KDE-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 129 Sep 30 11:35 02GNOME-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 224 Sep 3 2004 03WindowMaker-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 143 Oct 8 08:16 07IceWM :P

Of the three files that you had mentioned, I have '/home/rp/.desktop'.
Hey that is an interesting one . . . I would like to see what is in it:
$ cat /home/rp/.desktop

After that you can rename it to "OLD.desktop" and log out / log in to see what happens . . . :blink: Bruno

Hi Bruno;Yes interesting and this is what is in that file:[rp@~]$ cat /home/rp/.desktopDESKTOP=GNOMEI wonder what would happen if we changed that to 'DESKTOP=KDE' ? :">

Yep . . that is a good trick too !!Man, Rpiz . . how did you get that file ??? . . I have 4 mandrake installs and I checked, but none of them have that file !!B) BrunoPS: I saw that in /etc/X11/Xsession there was a line that made it look for that file . . .that is why I asked you to look for it in /home . . . . . just a lucky shot :">

Bruno...Looks like this one will not go away without a fight. I changed the '.desktop' file to read'DESKTOP=KDE', then rebooted and we have the same situation?Have we run out of options? :">

What ?? . . . Looks like you have been hacked by a Gnome-fanatic . . . . :DHave you tried "default" . . . and logging in and out and in ??If so I would rename the file to OLD.dektop . . and try again . . . :"> Bruno

Bruno...Well 'default' didn't work either. I guess I'll just live with having to change the session type eachtime I enter MDK 10.1; and maybe with MDK 10.2 I will be out of this inconvienience?Hey, we give it a good try? :">

Hey ho . . . I am not ready to give up yet !Rpiz . . . logging out does not restart X . . . maybe you have to reboot . . . ;)I do have a few other good options if this still does not work . . :"> Bruno

Okay we take some hard measures:

# mv  /etc/X11/wmsession.d/02GNOME   /etc/X11/wmsession.d/OLD-02GNOME

:"> And now I want to see it choose the right desktop B) B) Bruno

Bruno...I hope your strength is up today? I made the change per your suggestion and it came up'gnome' again. This is after I rebooted, but it didn't change.

Okay last try:

# cp  /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc  /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc-OLD# cp  /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew  /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc# reboot

Now, imagine that after this you can not get into X . . . . press Esc at lilo . . and type the menuentry you want to boot and add a space and a 3 . . . then you will boot in level 3 . . . then log in as root and reverse our action from above:

# cp  /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc-OLD  /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc# reboot

And start the "normal" way . . * Crossing fingersB) Bruno

Bruno...Initiated the first two commands and this is what I got. [rp@~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rp]# cp /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc-OLD[root@localhost rp]# cp /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrccp: cannot stat `/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew': No such file or directoryI did not do the reboot as yet. Should I continue?