Sparky Linux

Hedon James

Hedon James

I like the octopi notifier in arch-based distros, which ties in to the octopi GUI as a front end for pacman. I presume pamac operates exactly the same, but on gtk desktops of arch distros.

What do you like about the mint update GUI?

• It just works. No unattended-upgr waiting.
  • It has a number of selectable levels of upgrade risk from "don't hurt me" to "let 'er rip."
  • Package updates are ranked in danger levels from safe to more risky - although the riskiest upgrades aren't all that scary for an experienced user (kernel or video driver upgrades e.g.)
  • Based on the upgrade level you select the riskier packages are highlighted and their installation is optional.

Edited by raymac46

Hedon James

• It just works. No unattended-upgr waiting.
  • It has a number of selectable levels of upgrade risk from "don't hurt me" to "let 'er rip."
  • Package updates are ranked in danger levels from safe to more risky - although the riskiest upgrades aren't all that scary for an experienced user (kernel or video driver upgrades e.g.)
  • Based on the upgrade level you select the riskier packages are highlighted and their installation is optional.

gotcha. i've been a linux user for about 10+ years now and I did not know this. ironically, i've never really used Mint?!

Actually now with LM19, they have introduced Timeshift so the old 'Don't break my computer" options have been deprecated. You still get the option to show or hide kernel updates and security updates but the default is to install them.