Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• ebrke
      You'd think that might be something someone might have thought about before the sale actually took place.
    • Corrine
      Adobe has released another optional hotfix for Adobe Acrobat and Reader for Windows and macOS that addresses some important bug fixes.  Reader DC and Acrobat DC were updated to version 20.009.20067. Release Notes
    • saturnian
      The recent review at DistroWatch (https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20200525#popos) mentions the keyboard shortcuts as one of the key features of Pop!_OS. I'm glad more computers are shipping with Linux. I wouldn't be too concerned about the desktop; most people these days have had to learn to get used to a GUI setup they weren't used to before, seems to me.
    • Corrine
      Mozilla sent Firefox Version 77.0 to the release channel today. The update included seven (7) security updates of which five (5) are high, one (1) moderate and one (1) is low in severity. Also released was Firefox ESR Version 68.9. Update: To get the update now, select "Help" from the Firefox menu, then pick "About Firefox." Mac users need to select "About Firefox" from the Firefox menu. If you do not use the English language version, Fully Localized Versions are available for download. Security Updates Release Notes
    • raymac46
      One of the reasons cited in the past for why the Linux desktop hasn't reached a tipping point was that OEMs didn't preinstall it on their hardware. Lately that has changed a fair bit. Lenovo and Dell are shipping Linux models, and the traditional Linux system integrators like ZaReason and System 76 are going stronger than ever. System 76 comes with its own custom distro called Pop!_OS which you can download and install if you want to. I had a look at it on a Live USB. One one hand it is the most pure vanilla GNOME desktop I've seen. No icons or docks, just an Activities button that launches the Dashboard. It looks great as it has custom fonts and icons. It is fast and very slick. I don't see a lot of advantages over Debian's GNOME or Ubuntu's version though. POP!_OS is based on Ubuntu. I'd want to tweak it a bit to suit my needs, although probably a first time user of System 76 hardware wouldn't know the drill. It would be a fair learning curve if you were migrating from Windows, since GNOME 3 is quite different. Maybe it'd be easier for OSX users, I don't know. It looks great, but right now Pop!_OS is a solution to a problem I don't have.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Pete!
    • ebrke
  • Today's Birthdays

1. hodgy
      hodgy
      (71 years old)
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

BrdG
    Newest Member