What!!?? Why?? How??

Ed_P

When I display the navigator.appVersion and navigator.userAgent data using IE I see that I have data that I have no idea how it got there, why it's there or how to change it, in particular the URL at the end.

Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer Version: 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; H010818; SV1; http://www.tropicdesigns.net) Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; H010818; SV1; http://www.tropicdesigns.net)

Any ideas?Also what is the meaning of the H010818 and SV1 strings?When I use the Netscape Browser the same display is:

Browser: Netscape Version: 5.0 (Windows; en-US)Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20041122 Firefox/0.5.6+

BTW the code to create the display is nothing special:

alert("Browser: " + navigator.appName + "\nVersion: " + navigator.appVersion + "\n"  + "Agent: "   + navigator.userAgent);

I have no idea what creates those entries, or their implications, but I sure do see a lot of the exact same notations on a Google search, in exactly the same context as yours. :lol:

:D A good thought Jeber. :lol: A Google search on "H010818; SV1;" shows a lot of hits. But none have a URL at the end which is my major issue at this point.Thanks.

Interesting. I don't see anything on the site that suggests any reason their URL would show up in your code. They do host some software applications. Are you using one of those perhaps?

Interesting.  I don't see anything on the site that suggests any reason their URL would show up in your code.  They do host some software applications.  Are you using one of those perhaps?
I have an older version of the kid's WP (Wee Pee :D ) app installed but it's not being used anymore on this machine. I'm now using Singer's Weather Watcher here.His site was hacked twice in the past 2 months, where outsiders took control of it, Could that have caused the connection? But regardless, how can I remove it?

nlinecomputers

How does one view or display this without setting up a website and javascript? I've been to that hacked site by accident and now I want to double check this.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings. The string is UserAgentIt looks as though you may have been hacked :D (that site you point out was hacked a while ago, wasn't it?)

Got me. That's why I was surprised to find it, it's well concealed.Setting up a webpage to see it isn't hard. Cut and paste the following code to a file on your hd, call it something that ends in .htm and click on it.

<html><head><TITLE>How others see me</TITLE>   <META NAME="Author" CONTENT="Ed Paquette">   <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="PFE (WinXP; U)"></head><body><script LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--   alert("Browser: " + navigator.appName + "\nVersion: " + navigator.appVersion + "\n"       + "Agent: "   + navigator.userAgent  );// --></SCRIPT></body></html>

Reply to the SP2 prompt to allow access and you're all set.

I know, creating the JScript in HTML is dead easy. But NLine asked where that data was stored and where to change it if necessary - so I showed him the registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings.  The string is UserAgentIt looks as though you may have been hacked :P (that site you point out was hacked a while ago, wasn't it?)
Thanks epp_b. Now I can change it. :D
His site was hacked twice in the past 2 months, where outsiders took control of it
But NLine asked where that data was stored and where to change it if necessary - so I showed him the registry key.
Check the originator of this thread. :D We both want to know.

Thanks epp_b.  Now I can change it. :P
No problem :D
His site was hacked twice in the past 2 months, where outsiders took control of it
Get Apache on Linux already! :D

How come, with routers, firewalls, antivirus sw, and SP2, things can get changed on the hd with no prompts????  From visiting a website?
Ouch! That's scary. These hackers must be good :D Did you happen to have that site in your Trusted Sites zone?

Ouch!  That's scary.  These hackers must be good :D Did you happen to have that site in your Trusted Sites zone?
They said they were Russian teenages.When they modified the site to redirect all access to some Russian site that appeared to be a game site I was able to get around that by putting the Tropic Designs URL into the Trusted Zone and using IE. But in reflecting on that, that means I accessed the site using IE which opened up ActiveX functionality. :( :D :P B)

Wow interesting....I did the htm route to see what I got...mine has a bit more info in there but no web URL.I also have Singer's Web Watcher...love it. Did not know he got hacked! What a bummer...haven't been to his site in a long time so I'm lucky there.Of course when I finally get to start working again he's getting a good sized donation from me....

BTW the code to create the display is nothing special:CODE  alert("Browser: " + navigator.appName + "\nVersion: " + navigator.appVersion + "\n"  + "Agent: " + navigator.userAgent);
Where is this code placed? In the address bar? I tried that and I got an error the first time. I tried copy/paste but got a bunch of %20% in place of spaces.

Paste the code into a blank text file. Save it as <filename>.html. Open it.A bit more usable code is:

document.write("Browser: " + navigator.appName + "\nVersion: " + navigator.appVersion + "\n"  + "Agent: "  + navigator.userAgent);

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings.  The string is UserAgent
It's not there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lol: ;) There is indeed a key under Internet Settings named User Agent but it does not contain the Tropic Designs web address.However, there is another location near by that does.HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform that contains a key named "http://www.tropicdesigns.net" with a null Reg_Sz value. Interesting that a key's name gets carried rather than it's data value.
I also have Singer's Web Watcher...love it. Did not know he got hacked!
I switched to Mike's Weather Watcher (Wee Watcher) also when Weather Pulse (Wee Pee) developed problems and wasn't being supported for months. Mike's site wasn't hacked, Tropic's site was.I have Wee Pee loaded on an older system and the new version has some nice features. Like being able to customize the weather icons. I think Tropic finally got a development license to access the Weather.com feed since the new version is not loosing sync with Weather.com as often as before.
Where is this code placed?
Within the code for a web page. See the code box that I posted here for an example.

QUOTE (FuzzDuckie @ Dec 8 2004, 07:53pm) I also have Singer's Web Watcher...love it. Did not know he got hacked! I switched to Mike's Weather Watcher (Wee Watcher) also when Weather Pulse (Wee Pee) developed problems and wasn't being supported for months. Mike's site wasn't hacked, Tropic's site was.I have Wee Pee loaded on an older system and the new version has some nice features. Like being able to customize the weather icons. I think Tropic finally got a development license to access the Weather.com feed since the new version is not loosing sync with Weather.com as often as before.
gotcha, I got the two confused and missed it somewhere sorry about that. Have been with Mike's WW since around hmm I can't remember what version and I can't remember where I saw it either :rolleyes:
QUOTE (FuzzDuckie @ Dec 8 2004, 07:53pm) Where is this code placed? Within the code for a web page. See the code box that I posted here for an example.
yep did it I wanted to copy paste it here but it came up as a message box. Have kept it on hand just in case o:) Thanks again for that little gem!

FuzzDuckie if you copy/paste this code into your browser's Address/Location box it will display the information without needing to save the code to a file.

javascript:alert("Browser: "+navigator.appName+"\nVersion: "+navigator.appVersion+"\nAgent: "+navigator.userAgent);

You just need to make sure the code is all on a single line.