All-in-one RAM and hard drive

Eric Legge

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, IBM does the best research but recently they have cut down the spending on research, so I don't know if they are stepping backward or forward. Nonetheless, it is good to know that there will be something to replace hard drive or does it not?I would like to know how much it will possibly cost. If it is RAM that can replace hard drive, do we still need RAM anymore? I guess not. I guess a lot of people might be intrigued by it and will be willing to pay some money to get new system based on new technology, but it also depends on the cost still.ThunderRiver

:D Cost will be high for those who just can't wait to try something new and a lot lower for those with the patience to wait. Reminds me of my CD burner, my friend paid over $500 for one a few years ago, I purchased my first one last year for $79. (Australian dollars).Joy

Guest ThunderRiver

Hehe that's why I have not purchased a DVD burner yet. I probably will wait till DVDRW/DVD-ROM/CDRW/CD-ROM drive combo ;)ThunderRiver

Eric Legge

Yep, other than those who have to use the best kit, only fools with more money than sense jump in feet first when new technology comes out.I just won an auction on ebay for an MSI motherboard with built-in video and sound, a 500MHz Pentium 3, HS&F, and 128MB of RAM for £12 plus £3 P&P.Eric,http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

Guest LilBambi

I always try to go with "falling edge" when buying hardware. And I do that intentionally. Hardware changes so quickly, it just doesn't pay to spend the "early adopter" or "bleeding edge" prices.So, I am definitely gonna wait for the pricing to come down a bit more before I get a DVD burner.

There are PCI cards available that perform similar to this but are backed up by a battery. Essentially they are adapter cards with 4GB of PC100 RAM. I forget the manufacturer but a Friend of mine who is the sys admin at an ISP says that they are common for web servers due to the access speed.After I saw the price I decided against needing one though it would be cool to have a 4GB RAMDrive. Be a great place to copy the OS and Swap file to during bootup.Always dreaming of ways to make things faster.Chris