2nd Distro after MDK 10

kamicota

Hi Et-Als againAs I can't make my mind up what to install alongside MDK 10 I :D I am now downloadingMepis 204.04 andPCLos PV - NV 7aSo now doubt this will keep Ozidave quiet for a little while while I am B) around.And of course waffling :thumbsup: :hug: in my decision hereSo anyone feel free :D B) to throw thier two cents worth in.Cheers for YearsColin :lol: but I'm still a little :'( and :hug: but :"> B) :D

Hi Et-Als againAs I can't make my mind up what to install alongside MDK 10  I  :hmm: I  am now downloadingMepis 204.04 andPCLos PV - NV 7aSo now doubt this will keep  Ozidave quiet for a little while while I am :fishing:  around.And of course waffling  :D  :teehee:  in my decision hereSo anyone feel free  o:)  B)  to throw thier two cents worth in.Cheers for YearsColin  :lol:  but I'm still a little  :devil:  and  :blink:  but  :rant:  B)  :D
Hi SuperKami,I've come to really enjoy Fedora Core 3 (default browser is Firefox!!!) but it seems to be hit or miss for most people.I can really recommend Slackware though, it is blazing fast, especially when compared to, say, PCLOS (I have both on my Athlon 1700+, Slackware is far and away the more responsive distro)You really can't go wrong no matter what you pick, assuming the install goes well (FC3 has a much more user friendly install than Slack, but Slack's is still completely manageable)good luck!:w00tx100:Neil

Thanks :rant: NeilYeah it is friendly install that is one of the main criteris for this explorerHad never even thought of Fedora Core 3Did look at Slackware but it was a text Install and that :devil: :lol: scared meSo may take a look at what Distro watch has to say about Fedora Core 3O appreciate the commentsCheers for YearsColin :fishing: :D o:)

Did some researchAnd decided to stick with Mepis or PCLos NV PV 7aMepis worked flawlesslyPCLos oops got through ok on Internet but when I tried to get to the forum a "flash player" box appeared in the middle of the screen and froze everything.So as of now it is --->>>Mepis 1 PCLos 0But still some time to try them again.Please feel free to add any commentsCheers for YearsColin :rant:

Hi ColinFIRST we have to make a rescue CD for Mandrake !!! ( And why is the hurry to get a second distro up and running ? )Anyway, for Mepis: I would suggest "SimplyMepis" ( Not the same as the one you have on CD now ) . . . remember ? David was already talking about that one and he is very pleased with the way it runs and is easy to configure . . . . . he can tell you all about SimplyMepis and where you can get it . . . Sure PCLos 7 . . . we have done that one before and it never gave any real problem . . . :rant: Bruno

Hi BrunoIt is SimplyMepis 2004.04 that I have downloadedWasn't rushing I hope just wanted to get my head on staright as to which Distro.Still haven't decided which one yet :rant: Although I thought that the rescue cd would have to be done after thew install of the second distroSo yes OF COURSE the Recue CD firstCheers for YearsColin :D

Glad you figured that out Colin. Without the rescue CD you could be in trouble with your new install as far as having something that will boot correctly! :rant:

OOPS Trted and earlier post of Julua's --->>>Make a rescue CD for your Mandrake 10.0 Official . . . . paste in a root console:CODEmkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk AND THIS IS WHAT I GOT--->>>[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdkKernel file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk does not exist[root@localhost colin]#Colin :rant: :D

Thanks Bruno[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# ls -al /boottotal 3200drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Nov 29 23:58 ./drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 Nov 29 23:58 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Nov 29 14:51 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Nov 29 23:58 config -> config-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 52228 Mar 1 2004 config-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5032 Feb 19 2004 diag1.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16796 Feb 19 2004 diag2.imgdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 29 14:23 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 125625 Nov 29 14:51 initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Nov 29 14:51 initrd.img -> initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.i mglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Nov 29 23:58 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.4.25- 2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 537 Nov 29 14:56 kernel.h-2.4.25-2mdk-rw------- 1 root root 529920 Nov 29 14:54 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Nov 29 14:54 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 442273 Nov 29 14:51 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 Nov 29 14:54 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Nov 29 14:55 System.map -> System.map-2.4.25-2m dk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 634863 Mar 1 2004 System.map-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Nov 29 14:51 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Nov 29 14:51 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1403985 Mar 1 2004 vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk[root@localhost colin]# ls -al /bootColin

Here is your command Colin:

$ su< password ># mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk

B) Bruno

OOPS--->>>[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# [colin@localhost colin]$ subash: [colin@localhost: command not found[root@localhost colin]# Password:bash: Password:: command not found[root@localhost colin]# [root@localhost colin]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.i mg --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdkbash: [root@localhost: command not found[root@localhost colin]# unrecognized argument: mgbash: unrecognized: command not found[root@localhost colin]#[root@localhost colin]# usage: mkrescue [--help]bash: usage:: command not found[root@localhost colin]# mkrescue [--version]unrecognized argument: [--version]usage: mkrescue [--help] mkrescue [--version] mkrescue [--device <device>] [--fast] [--fs ext2|msdos|minix] [--initrd <file> --kernel <file>] [--keymap <keymap.ktl>] [--append <string>] [--nocompact] [--noformat] [--root <device>] [--size 1440|1200|2880] --device is the floppy drive; e.g., /dev/fd0 --fast specifies creation using a loopback device, which may be faster --fs is the filesystem to make on the device; e.g., ext2 --help prints this helpfile --iso create a bootable ISO image to burn to a CD-R or CD-RW --keymap is the keyboard translation table; default to same as lilo.conf --noformat bypasses creation of a new filesystem on device --nocompact omits lilo map file compaction --size is assumed to be 1440 (1.44M), unless 1200 or 2880 is specified --initrd and --kernel are the initial ramdisk & kernel files --append is a string used to specify kernel options --root is the root filesystem for the boot floppy; e.g., current --version prints the version number of mkrescueUsed without any arguments, mkrescue will use the default kernel in/etc/lilo.conf, the companion initrd (if any), and the specified rootfilesystem to make a bootable rescue floppy.[root@localhost colin]# mkrescue [--device <device>] [--fast] [--fs ext2|msdos|minix]bash: device: No such file or directorybash: msdos: command not foundbash: minix]: command not found[root@localhost colin]# [--initrd <file> --kernel <file>] [--keymap <keymap.ktl>]bash: file: No such file or directory[root@localhost colin]# [--append <string>] [--nocompact] [--noformat] [--root <device>]bash: string: No such file or directory[root@localhost colin]# [--size 1440|1200|2880]bash: [--size: command not foundbash: 1200: command not foundbash: 2880]: command not found[root@localhost colin]#[root@localhost colin]# --device is the floppy drive; e.g., /dev/fd0bash: --device: command not foundbash: e.g.,: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --fast specifies creation using a loopback device, which may be fasterbash: --fast: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --fs is the filesystem to make on the device; e.g., ext2bash: --fs: command not foundbash: e.g.,: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --help prints this helpfilebash: --help: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --iso create a bootable ISO image to burn to a CD-R or CD-RWbash: --iso: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --keymap is the keyboard translation table; default to same as lilo.confbash: --keymap: command not foundbash: default: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --noformat bypasses creation of a new filesystem on devicebash: --noformat: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --nocompact omits lilo map file compactionbash: --nocompact: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --size is assumed to be 1440 (1.44M), unless 1200 or 2880 is specifiedbash: syntax error near unexpected token `('[root@localhost colin]# --initrd and --kernel are the initial ramdisk & kernel filesbash: --initrd: command not found[1] 9823bash: kernel: command not found[1] Exit 127 --initrd and --kernel are the initial ramdisk[root@localhost colin]# --append is a string used to specify kernel optionsbash: --append: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --root is the root filesystem for the boot floppy; e.g., currentbash: --root: command not foundbash: e.g.,: command not found[root@localhost colin]# --version prints the version number of mkrescuebash: --version: command not found[root@localhost colin]#[root@localhost colin]# Used without any arguments, mkrescue will use the default kernel inbash: Used: command not found[root@localhost colin]# /etc/lilo.conf, the companion initrd (if any), and the specified rootbash: syntax error near unexpected token `('[root@localhost colin]# filesystem to make a bootable rescue floppy.bash: filesystem: command not found[root@localhost colin]#[root@localhost colin]# [root@localhost colin]#Colin B)

HO STOP !!!!Colin . . if you get an error on a command . . come back and post on the forum . . and do not go of trying all kind of stuff on your own !!!Look what you did . . this is from your post:

[root@localhost colin]# [root@localhost colin]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.i mg --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk
Now what do you see there ?? What went wrong ???B) Bruno

But look here at the start of that quote:

[root@localhost colin]# [root@localhost colin]#
You are repeating the prompt !! . . . well the console does not know what to do if you give a propmt as command !B) Bruno

Great !!Now

mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk

Pl;ease copy and paste it . . and show me what you see . . B) Bruno

OOPS[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.i mg --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdkunrecognized argument: mgusage: mkrescue [--help] mkrescue [--version] mkrescue [--device <device>] [--fast] [--fs ext2|msdos|minix] [--initrd <file> --kernel <file>] [--keymap <keymap.ktl>] [--append <string>] [--nocompact] [--noformat] [--root <device>] [--size 1440|1200|2880] --device is the floppy drive; e.g., /dev/fd0 --fast specifies creation using a loopback device, which may be faster --fs is the filesystem to make on the device; e.g., ext2 --help prints this helpfile --iso create a bootable ISO image to burn to a CD-R or CD-RW --keymap is the keyboard translation table; default to same as lilo.conf --noformat bypasses creation of a new filesystem on device --nocompact omits lilo map file compaction --size is assumed to be 1440 (1.44M), unless 1200 or 2880 is specified --initrd and --kernel are the initial ramdisk & kernel files --append is a string used to specify kernel options --root is the root filesystem for the boot floppy; e.g., current --version prints the version number of mkrescueUsed without any arguments, mkrescue will use the default kernel in/etc/lilo.conf, the companion initrd (if any), and the specified rootfilesystem to make a bootable rescue floppy.[root@localhost colin]#Colin

After that try again Colin:

mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk

There was a space in the command that did not belong there . . B) . . . but just try again . . :thumbsup: Bruno

[colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.i mg --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdkunrecognized argument: mgusage: mkrescue [--help] mkrescue [--version] mkrescue [--device <device>] [--fast] [--fs ext2|msdos|minix] [--initrd <file> --kernel <file>] [--keymap <keymap.ktl>] [--append <string>] [--nocompact] [--noformat] [--root <device>] [--size 1440|1200|2880] --device is the floppy drive; e.g., /dev/fd0 --fast specifies creation using a loopback device, which may be faster --fs is the filesystem to make on the device; e.g., ext2 --help prints this helpfile --iso create a bootable ISO image to burn to a CD-R or CD-RW --keymap is the keyboard translation table; default to same as lilo.conf --noformat bypasses creation of a new filesystem on device --nocompact omits lilo map file compaction --size is assumed to be 1440 (1.44M), unless 1200 or 2880 is specified --initrd and --kernel are the initial ramdisk & kernel files --append is a string used to specify kernel options --root is the root filesystem for the boot floppy; e.g., current --version prints the version number of mkrescueUsed without any arguments, mkrescue will use the default kernel in/etc/lilo.conf, the companion initrd (if any), and the specified rootfilesystem to make a bootable rescue floppy.[root@localhost colin]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk

[root@localhost colin]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk
See in that post you first gave the wrong command . . . but there at the end is the right command but you have not hit <Enter>B) Bruno

OOPS B) [colin@localhost colin]$ suPassword:[root@localhost colin]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.i mg --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdkunrecognized argument: mgusage: mkrescue [--help] mkrescue [--version] mkrescue [--device <device>] [--fast] [--fs ext2|msdos|minix] [--initrd <file> --kernel <file>] [--keymap <keymap.ktl>] [--append <string>] [--nocompact] [--noformat] [--root <device>] [--size 1440|1200|2880] --device is the floppy drive; e.g., /dev/fd0 --fast specifies creation using a loopback device, which may be faster --fs is the filesystem to make on the device; e.g., ext2 --help prints this helpfile --iso create a bootable ISO image to burn to a CD-R or CD-RW --keymap is the keyboard translation table; default to same as lilo.conf --noformat bypasses creation of a new filesystem on device --nocompact omits lilo map file compaction --size is assumed to be 1440 (1.44M), unless 1200 or 2880 is specified --initrd and --kernel are the initial ramdisk & kernel files --append is a string used to specify kernel options --root is the root filesystem for the boot floppy; e.g., current --version prints the version number of mkrescueUsed without any arguments, mkrescue will use the default kernel in/etc/lilo.conf, the companion initrd (if any), and the specified rootfilesystem to make a bootable rescue floppy.[root@localhost colin]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk2880+0 records in2880+0 records outMaking filesystemmke2fs 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)/tmp/mkrescue-emu is not a block special device.Proceed anyway? (y,n) Filesystem label=OS type: LinuxBlock size=1024 (log=0)Fragment size=1024 (log=0)24 inodes, 2880 blocks144 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super userFirst data block=11 block group8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group24 inodes per groupWriting inode tables: doneWriting superblocks and filesystem accounting information: doneThis filesystem will be automatically checked every 24 mounts or180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.Mounting filesystem`/boot/diag1.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag1.img'`/boot/diag2.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag2.img'Copying files...`/boot/us.klt' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/lang.ktl'`/boot/initrd-2.4.25-2mdk.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/initrd'`/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.25-2mdk' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/linux'done.Running /sbin/lilo ...Ignoring entry 'boot'Added linux *Added hard_diskAdded diagnostic_1Added diagnostic_2done.MKISOFSSize of boot image is 5760 sectors -> Emulating a 2880 kB floppyTotal translation table size: 2488Total rockridge attributes bytes: 410Total directory bytes: 0Path table size(bytes): 10Max brk space used 01624 extents written (3 MB)END MKISOFS: output is in 'rescue.iso'The bootable CD can be burned with the 'cdrecord' utilityusing a command of the form: cdrecord [<options>] [dev=<device>] rescue.isoAll done.[root@localhost colin]#Colin even MORE :thumbsup: