sorta solved pi issue

wa4chq

abarbarian

https://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?/topic/62520-a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/

• In 2MB of memory you get tiling window managers suitable for power users and vi experts.
  • Around 10MB you have a bunch of themable window managers with taskbars and menus. For many users this is enough, although we are still in power user territory.
  • OpenGL-enabled window managers start around 20MB and bring in shadows, transparency and lots of cool visual effects.
  • From 40MB up we have the classic lightweight desktop environments. These DEs are becoming more and more popular as computer hardware update cycles lengthen.
  • The latest and greatest cutting-edge desktop features can be found starting from 150MB.

Enjoy your Linux desktop!

WM/DE Memory (MB)

Thought this might be of interest. The whole three parts of the article is worth a read. 😋
  • Like 2

securitybreach
On 5/22/2024 at 2:59 AM, abarbarian said:

https://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?/topic/62520-a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/

• In 2MB of memory you get tiling window managers suitable for power users and vi experts.
  • Around 10MB you have a bunch of themable window managers with taskbars and menus. For many users this is enough, although we are still in power user territory.
  • OpenGL-enabled window managers start around 20MB and bring in shadows, transparency and lots of cool visual effects.
  • From 40MB up we have the classic lightweight desktop environments. These DEs are becoming more and more popular as computer hardware update cycles lengthen.
  • The latest and greatest cutting-edge desktop features can be found starting from 150MB.

Enjoy your Linux desktop!

WM/DE Memory (MB)

Thought this might be of interest. The whole three parts of the article is worth a read. 😋

Nice

abarbarian
18 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Nice

Yeah I posted the original way back in 2013. Been evangelizing about Window Maker since then too, but it ain't making much difference. 😂

• Like 1

wa4chq

Thanks for the links, AB.  Tiling WM's are great.  There was one I used for a while called 'spectrwm'.  It was nice but as I recall, customizing wasn't as easy as i3.