Network Upgrades

raymac46

raymac46

In February my ISP/Legacy TV/Home Phone provider (Mr. Rogers) advised me that an ancient SDTV video recorder/cable box I had in the basement would be decommissioned as of April 30. This  box was hooked up to the old SDTV I had that originally belonged to my son-in-law. I hardly ever watched it because of the wretched picture.

I took the opportunity to upgrade a few things. I got a new smart HDTV and moved the old dumb HDTV and its hardware down to the basement. Decommissioned and recycled the old SDTV.

Rogers wants you to switch from legacy cable to an Internet based TV so I finally did so. I replaced my old Rogers modem and my personal Wifi 5 mesh router system with a new Rogers Wifi 6E gateway upstairs and a single mesh pod in the basement. My formerly standalone telephone modem is now handled by the gateway.

The TVs are now served by wifi IPTV boxes - all the digital boxes were removed. I had to reconfigure my wireless printer to a new LAN IP but that was the only change. I still have the same SSID and password from before.

I ended up saving about $80 per month with my new network. TV and Internet seem to be working fine and I get better speeds on my newest wifi clients like phones and Wifi 6 equipped laptops. I replaced 2 modems and a 4 piece mesh router system with two wifi boxes. Also decommissioned a complicated coax splitter system as I only need one cable coming in from outside for everything.

I still have my main desktop system plugged in with a wire to the gateway but everything else is wifi. So far, so good.

• +1 2

raymac46

The new network passed the stress test on Sunday when my daughter's family arrived with their usual collection of laptops, tablets, smartphones and Nintendo Switch consoles.

• Like 1

securitybreach
7 hours ago, sunrat said:

$Saving $80/month is always nice too. 😉😎

Heck nowadays $20 a month would be nice.

• Agree 2

raymac46

My monthly saving is for a few reasons:

• Communications charges are pretty high in Canada to begin with so more room for discounts.
  • Rogers is desperate to move legacy cable TV users to IPTV. They don't sell the legacy service to new users while not offering any discounts at all to existing legacy users. They will give you a substantial discount if you switch to strictly Internet based TV.
  • Rogers waived all installation and setup fees so I got a technician to come in and do the setup. I was mostly concerened that the TV boxes would work OK as I know how to set up an Internet network.

I had been holding off because I had the old SDTV equipment which would be useless with Internet based TV. When that equipment would be useless anyhow it seemed like a good time to make the change. With my old modem I needed a rather complicated mesh router system to get decent wifi coverage in the house, but the new gateway seems much better. It has "Band Steering" so that each device gets the best wifi frequency it can use.

• Like 1
  • +1 1