Stopped in to say Hello

mhbell

I just stopped in to say hello. It's been awhile. I'm still kicking at my age. Just turned 85 in Nov 2023. I still use Mint Linux 21.3 everyday. It does everything I need to do without a bobble. LoL! Hope everyone is fine and doing well.

Mel

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mhbell said:

I just stopped in to say hello. It's been awhile. I'm still kicking at my age. Just turned 85 in Nov 2023. I still use Mint Linux 21.3 everyday. It does everything I need to do without a bobble. LoL! Hope everyone is fine and doing well.

Mel

21.3? So you are keeping it up to date too. 

Do you know about the new owner of this site?

• Like 2

abarbarian

Always nice to see another face here. Hope I am still using linux when/if I get to 85. 😀

• Like 2

Hedon James
14 hours ago, securitybreach said:

WHAATTT?!!!  😲

I check in here daily....just to see what the "new" posts are.  I don't know how I missed this news, over a month ago?!  It seems like it was only 2 weeks ago we were chatting on these forums, but when I check the dates, they were before Feb 26.  I am shocked, and this is another demonstration that time passes WAY too quickly.  He was the first person on these forums to reach out to me when I joined, and made me feel like it was a VERY good decision.  He was very welcoming, friendly, and had a way about him....it seemed like I knew him for years in the REAL world, rather than some random internet dude i just met.  Couldn't help but like the guy...a LOT.

This is very sad news.  Monday's suck....

• Like 3

securitybreach

Yeah, I knew Eric for about two decades and I considered him a good friend.

• Like 2

Hedon James
16 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Yeah, I knew Eric for about two decades and I considered him a good friend.

All my interactions with Eric were on this forum, with a few chats at his Cabin In The Woods, and maybe a few "outside channel" e-mails.  I can't say I knew him very well, although I felt like I did.  I can definitely say I considered him a good dude AND a friend.  He was the guy who somehow figured out my last name and located an old photo of me playing in band circa the early 2000s and posted it here....he thought it was cool, for some reason, so I just went with it and made it my profile pic.  VT Slacker....Internet Sleuth!  LOL!

I don't vacation much, but I've got inlaws in FL that I visit randomly every couple years....we briefly talked about me coming to the Tampa area next time I'm in FL and meeting FOR REAL, in person.  I know we would've had a great time talking and chilling.  Just goes to show, there's NEVER enough time to do everything on your list....

FWIW....you're still on my list too, SB....as long as you live in N.O., LOL!  Wouldn't mind meeting Ray and Sunrat someday, but no way I'm travelling to Canada or Australia!  LOL!

• Like 1

raymac46

Wouldn't mind meeting Ray and Sunrat someday, but no way I'm travelling to Canada or Australia!  LOL!

I am not really all that far away from you. I live about an hour's drive directly north of the 1000 Islands bridge. We have spent a ton of time in Lancaster PA, not to mention Scranton and Stroudsburg.

Getysburg-1985-scaled.jpg

This is me and Sarah my daughter at Gettysburg in 1985.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

Hedon James

Yep, I'm in Gettysburg!  Lancaster is about 1-1/2 hours east.

I'm just one of those folks who fundamentally doesn't like to travel.  Not that I can't, or won't, because I have and I can.....I just don't like to.  Once upon a time, I would've LOVED to move south to warmer weather....somewhere around SC, GA, 'Bama, MS, or even AZ sounded lovely to me (I LIKE it HOT!)  But my wife didn't want to leave her parents.  Ironically, 6 months after we moved, here parents sold and moved to FL, while I glared at my wife and said "this is why you don't make plans predicated on OTHER people...we BOTH could've been down there, and looking out for them (they're elderly).  Even after that, she didn't want to leave our kids by themselves in the area.  When I wanted to move, they probably would've followed....maybe not right away, but eventually.  At this point, they've all met significant others and have built their own lives....so she's now correct on that one.  She wasn't at the time, but years later....now she is.  The window has closed on the opportunity...probably forever.

To compensate, I've busted my hump to get where I am, living waterfront in a private lake community, and have built a pretty impressive "beach pit", dock, and swimming area on my property.  Those are the things I was willing to travel for....beach & water activities.  Since I can't move THERE, figured I'd bring those things HERE.  Can't enjoy it year-round, but I guess it's a fair compromise for lost opportunity.  Other than the cold winters, I LIKE it here....with no real reason to go anywhere.  Never been interested in travel my entire life, and feel no urge to do so now.  My idea of a perfect vacation is a "STAY-CATION" where I notify folks I'm taking a vacation, put the cellphone on "airplane mode", and walk to my dock for boat cruises, float in the lake, listen to tunes on the bluetooth speaker, and maybe play my guitar by the sandy beach/fire pit while folks roast hot dogs and s'mores.  with NO wasted "travel time" in a mobile metal container.  THAT is what I consider a vacation!  LOL!

And yet, somehow, my wife talks me into a trip somewhere every couple of years.  New Orleans is still on my list (a VERY short list) of places I would like to see....but I'm holding out until the Saints are good again, so I can get a 2-fer.  And if SB is still in the area when that happens, I'll make it a 3-fer.  LOL!

• Like 2
  • +1 1

raymac46

We've never lived anywhere with warm winters and I have to admit that we like it that way. We did have a couple of weeks in Miami/Caribbean recently and that was enough heat for me.

During the 80s and 90s when my daughter was young we traveled extensively in the US, taking fly& drive holidays at March break and during the summer. Then we did quite a bit of cruising in the 2000s after we retired. I'd say we are slowing down a bit now. We still like to visit the US though.

Our town is quite the tourist destination in itself - it is a Hallmark Christmas movie type of place - so we don't have to go far to act like tourists.

https://104vaughan.ca/wp/almonte-2024-vintage-camera-style/

• Like 1

securitybreach
1 minute ago, raymac46 said:

We've never lived anywhere with warm winters and I have to admit that we like it that way. We did have a couple of weeks in Miami/Caribbean recently and that was enough heat for me.

During the 80s and 90s when my daughter was young we traveled extensively in the US, taking fly& drive holidays at March break and during the summer. Then we did quite a bit of cruising in the 2000s after we retired. I'd say we are slowing down a bit now. We still like to visit the US though.

Our town is quite the tourist destination in itself - it is a Hallmark Christmas movie type of place - so we don't have to go far to act like tourists.

https://104vaughan.ca/wp/almonte-2024-vintage-camera-style/

Yeah, we have very high humidity here especially in the summer. Think like 85% humidity and 95F.

• Agree 1

Corrine
6 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

It certainly is a lovely town.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

raymac46

Seriously about 10 Hallmark Christmas movies have been shot in Almonte. When we watch one of them it's hard to follow the story because the scenery keeps getting in the way.

• Like 1

abarbarian

I miss cold snowy frosty winters. Would love to travel to see all you regulars. That would only be possible if I won the lottery.Guess I'll have to make do with visiting here and ice in me vodka. 😋

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hedon James said:

WHAATTT?!!!  😲

I check in here daily....just to see what the "new" posts are.  I don't know how I missed this news, over a month ago?!  [...]

This is very sad news.  Monday's suck....

Same thing happened to me. Somehow I missed the news and kept on missing it.

Damn!  That is terrible news.  Eric was a good guy.  Gonna miss you bud...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hedon James
18 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Getysburg-1985-scaled.jpg

This is me and Sarah my daughter at Gettysburg in 1985.

In 1985 i would've been a senior at Gettysburg High.  Guess what we did EVERY year for history class?  Didn't even have to take a bus....we often walked.  I'm no battlefield expert, but I have spent a LOT of time there.  Based on the cannon behind a stone wall, the copse of trees to the left, and the mountain range in the background, this picture was probably taken from the Union position at "the angle" (with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the background); OR from the Confederate position along Confederate Avenue, facing the field where Pickett's Charge occurred (with either "Big" or "Little" Round Top in the background).  Without another visual marker or clue, it's hard to say for certain.  A better profile of the cannon would probably provide a clue....there were only 3 types of cannon used at Gettysburg, and most of the cannons on the Gettysburg Battlefield are "props", which weren't there in July 1863.  Technically, they're not "historically accurate", but they're close enough to help the visitor visualize the positions, events, and targets.

If you ever come to Gettysburg again, hit me up!  I'll set you up with Ms. Novotny, the BEST history teacher I ever had and licensed battlefield guide.  She tells the most interesting stories and has a way of making it "live".  Highly recommend!

raymac46

I can tell you for sure since I am also a Civil War buff. That is where Battery A US 4th Artillery was located under the command of Lt. Alonzo Cushing. Of course right at the angle.

I read Bruce Catton's "Glory Road" back in the early 1960s.

Hedon James
6 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I can tell you for sure since I am also a Civil War buff. That is where Battery A US 4th Artillery was located under the command of Lt. Alonzo Cushing. Of course right at the angle.

I read Bruce Catton's "Glory Road" back in the early 1960s.

so i guessed pretty good, right?!  but if you're a Civil War buff, then you probably know more than I do, LOL!  I can tell you, generally, what happened where, on which day, but as far as names, divisions, brigades, platoons...pffftttt...forget it.  But I must admit, I have more appreciation for those events and pay closer attention now. 

• Like 1

raymac46

Well remember I was a teenager right around the centennial of the Civil War so there were a lot of historical books like the Bruce Catton trilogy on the Army of the Potomac being published at that time. I read the story of Alonzo Cushing and his valor at Gettysburg probably 25 years before I had the chance to visit there.

The Ken Burns TV documentary that came out in the 90s was amazing in its scope and detail, so if you saw that you were probably hooked.

I have been to Fort Sumter and Gettysburg and I hope some day to make it to Appomattox Court House.

Hedon James
On 4/1/2024 at 5:53 PM, securitybreach said:

Yeah, we have very high humidity here especially in the summer. Think like 85% humidity and 95F.

The 95F sounds LOVELY.  The 85% humidity is the reason I wouldn't want to live there, despite the lovely temps, LOL!

Hedon James
12 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Well remember I was a teenager right around the centennial of the Civil War so there were a lot of historical books like the Bruce Catton trilogy on the Army of the Potomac being published at that time. I read the story of Alonzo Cushing and his valor at Gettysburg probably 25 years before I had the chance to visit there.

The Ken Burns TV documentary that came out in the 90s was amazing in its scope and detail, so if you saw that you were probably hooked.

I have been to Fort Sumter and Gettysburg and I hope some day to make it to Appomattox Court House.

If you ever make it back to Gettysburg, let me know.  I'll hook you up with Ms. Novotny....she's the best licensed Tour Guide, IMO.  She loves meeting folks like you, with a similar passion for historical events, and if she knows you have a special interest in Alonzo Cushing, I know she'll spend extra time at the Angle and prepare additional background and stories about Alonzo Cushing, and/or men in his unit.  She is very passionate about her history, and you can't help being "sucked in" and mesmerized by her story-telling.

I was lucky to have her in 7th grade World Cultures (she was a 1-year temp back then), and again in 11th grade American History....always looked forward to her classes.  And I found her again 2-3 years ago and hired her for a private tour with my wife and her parents (her dad was a re-enactor and appears in the Gettysburg movie briefly, as a dead guy, LOL!).  They have let it be known that they want to tour with her again the next time they come for a visit.  If you ever get to the 'Burg again, I'll hook you up too!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
mhbell
On 3/31/2024 at 6:25 PM, crp said:

21.3? So you are keeping it up to date too. 

Do you know about the new owner of this site?

No I don't. Who is it?

Mel

Corrine
23 minutes ago, mhbell said:

Who is it?

Hi, Mel.  See Scot's announcement here.