Linux adoption worldwide rising year on year !!

abarbarian

V.T. Eric Layton

> Linux adoption worldwide rising...

I'd much prefer that Li'l Linux stay at home on the farm with mama GNU and daddy UNIX. The more it runs off and tries to get itself adopted, the BIGGER that target will get on its back. :(

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I'd much prefer that Li'l Linux stay at home on the farm with mama GNU and daddy UNIX. The more it runs off and tries to get itself adopted, the BIGGER that target will get on its back. :(

I think Boston Corbett knew something about UNIX. 

abarbarian
15 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

The more it runs off and tries to get itself adopted, the BIGGER that target will get on its back. :(

Recon that will be true but I would still like the penguins to be the master race in the pc world. 😎

14 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

I think Boston Corbett knew something about UNIX. 

Lost me on that one. 🤔

3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Lost me on that one. 🤔

The link I attached talks about Boston Corbett.  He's the fellow who sorta didn't follow orders when John Wilkes Booth, Lincolns assassin was trapped in a barn that had been set ablaze. They wanted Booth taken alive but Boston shot him. Corbett was one odd dude.  He should never had played with scissors, hence him knowing a little about Unix.

Hedon James
On 2/17/2024 at 4:38 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I tend to agree with this.  I want Linux to be popular enough that Developers consider it a worthwhile opportunity for their software; and manufacturers consider it a viable OEM offering; but I don't want Linux to be popular enough that it's a viable target for hackers.  I think there's a "sweet spot", and I think it's somewhere around 10%-15%.  That's where MacOS seems to be, and developers often provide a Mac version (not always though), but we don't hear much about Mac security issues....they're not "immune" as they claim to be, but we don't hear much about issues.  Not sure if that's because their version of BSD is inherently secure; or because they do a good job with patching vulnerabilities in a timely manner; or it's too small for the hacking collective to spend a lot of time on?  Either way, seems like a sweet spot to be sitting in, and I'd like to see Linux there also.  JMO...

• +1 1

abarbarian
20 hours ago, wa4chq said:

The link I attached talks about Boston Corbett.  He's the fellow who sorta didn't follow orders when John Wilkes Booth, Lincolns assassin was trapped in a barn that had been set ablaze. They wanted Booth taken alive but Boston shot him. Corbett was one odd dude.  He should never had played with scissors, hence him knowing a little about Unix.

I knew about the John Wilkes Booth trapped in a barn story, and your link filled in a lot of back ground. Still a tad puzzled though. 😵‍💫

• Haha 1

abarbarian
29 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

but we don't hear much about Mac security issues....

For the protection of our customers, Apple doesn't disclose, discuss, or confirm security issues until an investigation has occurred and patches or releases are generally available.

This document lists recent releases, including security updates and Rapid Security Responses.

Clicking on any of the highlighted "Name and information link's" shows how many issues there were for each, an there are quite a few for each one. The issues have been found by many different researchers.

Apple neglects to patch multiple critical vulnerabilities in macOS

Apple makes no mention of these vulnerabilities on its site. There is also no mention of curl in macOS Sonoma 14.1’s security release notes; meanwhile, Apple did not even issue security release notes for macOS Sonoma 14.1.1, instead stating that “This update has no published CVE entries.”

Notably, this isn’t the first time that Apple has neglected to patch open-source software quickly in its operating systems.

One well-documented public example of this was Apple’s inclusion of Python 2.7 with macOS for nearly two years after its final update. But Apple doesn’t always get media coverage for such occurrences. Rather, outdated open-source software in macOS often goes unnoticed, except amongst the handful of security researchers who pay close attention to such things.

We reached out to Apple for comment. Apple has not responded to our inquiry.

https://thehackernews.com/search/label/MacOS

A ton of flaws written about on this site, some of them have been actively exploited out in the wild.

The difference between Linux and Apple is that Apple products tend to be used by the wealthier part of society so hacking them provides very large gains for criminals and government spies. Apple would like to put a stop to all reporting of flaws in their security as any bad reporting impacts on sales.

https://www.eset.com/blog/consumer/your-apple-devices-are-not-as-secure-as-you-think-learn-how-to-raise-their-protection/

😎

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

I knew about the John Wilkes Booth trapped in a barn story, and your link filled in a lot of back ground. Still a tad puzzled though. 😵‍💫

Corbett castrated himself.....so he's familiar with eunuchs (UNIX).  As you can see, it doesn't take much to humor me...lol

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Corbett castrated himself.....so he's familiar with eunuchs (UNIX).  As you can see, it doesn't take much to humor me...lol

Ah, another one who played the old Leisure Suit Larry game.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
2 minutes ago, crp said:

Most of us did ;) :hysterical:

abarbarian
20 hours ago, wa4chq said:

As you can see, it doesn't take much to humor me...lol

Ah ha righty ho.

I missed that series of games. An I do not manage very well with any of that type of game, start well enough but then just hit an impossible brick wall that I can not get past. Guess I do not have that type of mind.

This might get yer juices going and give you a larf.

Larry Laffer is back in time and will encounter a new adventure on November 7th 2018 on Steam and GoG for PC and MAC. The new gameplay trailer Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don't Dry tells you what it's all about and what you can expect

😁

Edited by abarbarian

12 hours ago, crp said:

I had to look up "Leisure Suit Larry" game.....never heard of it....not into computer games.  Now having a peak at my dad's Penthouse mag...that's a different story!

Edited by wa4chq
  • Haha 2

securitybreach
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Ah ha righty ho.

I missed that series of games. An I do not manage very well with any of that type of game, start well enough but then just hit an impossible brick wall that I can not get past. Guess I do not have that type of mind.

This might get yer juices going and give you a larf.

😁

I didn't know that they made a new one. I was thinking of the games from the late 90s to 2000s.

• Like 1

abarbarian
55 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

not into computer games. 

Blimey , how long have you been using linux. They are only called games to fool the masses. Real penguins know that they are tools to expand and improve the mind. 🤫

The Enduring Legacy of Zork

How far do you think you could get if you tried out ZORK ? Just a simple text game................

https://playclassic.games/games/adventure-dos-games-online/play-zork-great-underground-empire-online/play/

😋

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Blimey , how long have you been using linux. They are only called games to fool the masses. Real penguins know that they are tools to expand and improve the mind. 🤫

How far do you think you could get if you tried out ZORK ? Just a simple text game................

https://playclassic.games/games/adventure-dos-games-online/play-zork-great-underground-empire-online/play/

😋

That looks a lot like the original adventure game I played back in the early 1980s.😀 Never did figure out the very last step.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Like 1

abarbarian
34 minutes ago, Bookmem said:

That looks a lot like the original adventure game I played back in the early 1980s

I think it is the same game.

I can open the mail box , read the leaflet, walk around the house and go down a path............................ and then I am stuck. That is as far as I have ever got. Same sort of thing happens to me in NetHack. I jaust do not think my old grey cell is suited to games like those. 🫣

1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

😋

I did like playing some of the BSD games....

abarbarian
Just now, wa4chq said:

I did like playing some of the BSD games....

Yeah well todays challenge is to see how far you can get in Zork :harhar:

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Yeah well todays challenge is to see how far you can get in Zork :harhar:

Naw...the challenge today is going up on my folks roof to remove an old radio antenna without getting zorked.  lol

Edited by wa4chq
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:24 AM, abarbarian said:

I can open the mail box , read the leaflet, walk around the house and go down a path............................ and then I am stuck. That is as far as I have ever got. Same sort of thing happens to me in NetHack. I jaust do not think my old grey cell is suited to games like those. 🫣

I got into the house but so far I haven't opened the mailbox.

edit: Got the mailbox open but I did it with something I found in the house.

Edited by Bookmem

abarbarian
14 hours ago, Bookmem said:

I got into the house but so far I haven't opened the mailbox.

Opening the mailbox is easy. Getting into the house is something I have not been able to do . 🤔

Fsb20Be.png

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 9:24 AM, abarbarian said:

After reading a few other comments, I think I have seen the Zork game....and I may have tried playing it.  If I remember correctly, I didn't get far-  I couldn't find my keyboard.

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2024 at 4:59 AM, abarbarian said:

Opening the mailbox is easy. Getting into the house is something I have not been able to do . 🤔

Fsb20Be.png

That's weird. The first thing I typed was "open mailbox". The response was that I couldn't do that because it was locked. As I said, it took an object I found inside the house to unlock it.

• Like 1

abarbarian
On 2/23/2024 at 6:32 PM, Bookmem said:

The response was that I couldn't do that because it was locked.

Must have just been a special message for Arch users 🤣

On 2/22/2024 at 7:14 AM, wa4chq said:

After reading a few other comments, I think I have seen the Zork game....and I may have tried playing it.  If I remember correctly, I didn't get far-  I couldn't find my keyboard.

This is a take off of the original Adventure game written by some students, I believe from Dartmouth, back in the 1970s.

• Like 1

abarbarian
11 hours ago, Bookmem said:

This is a take off of the original Adventure game written by some students, I believe from Dartmouth, back in the 1970s.

Almost correct, it was in Cambridge USA.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2017/08/22/149560/the-enduring-legacy-of-zork/

In 1977, four recent MIT graduates who’d met at MIT’s Laboratory for Computer Science used the lab’s PDP-10 mainframe to develop a computer game that captivated the world. Called Zork, which was a nonsense word then popular on campus, their creation would become one of the most influential computer games in the medium’s half-century-long history.

The four kept refining and expanding Zork until February 1979. A few months later, three of them, plus seven other Dynamic Modeling Group members, founded the software company Infocom. Its first product: a modified version of Zork, split into three parts, released over three years, to fit PCs’ limited memory size and processing power.

Nearly 40 years later, those PC games, which ran on everything from the Apple II to the Commodore 64 in their 1980s heyday, are available online—and still inspire technologists. Ben Brown, founder and CEO of Howdy.ai, says Zork helped him design AI-powered chatbots. “Zork is a narrative, but embedded within it are clues about how the user can interact with and affect the story,”

The whole story of Zork is pretty fascinating. 😎

On 2/25/2024 at 4:21 AM, abarbarian said:

Almost correct, it was in Cambridge USA.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2017/08/22/149560/the-enduring-legacy-of-zork/

The whole story of Zork is pretty fascinating. 😎

I played it on an Altos Z80 computer that predates both the Apple and Commadore. But it was a business computer, not a personal one. 😀

Edited by Bookmem
  • Like 1