Replacing my Ryzen 5, mid-tower box.

Bookmem

There are some really good deals on HP Elitedesk boxes on eBay and Amazon. I just purchased an HP Elitedesk 800 G3 barebones (no CPU, RAM or diskdrives) for $40 including shipping. Bought an Intel i5-6500 3.2ghz CPU for $30 and 16gb DDR4 RAM for $35 leaving one RAM slot for later expansion. The 800 G3 has room for 2  3.5" HDDs and one NVMe slot. So I took the 2tb and 1tb HDDs and the 500gb NVMe drives from the Ryzen box and installed them in the 800 G3. Booted Win 11 Pro from the NVMe drive and it activated itself. (HP license) Still dual boots Mint 21.2 . All of the apps I had on the Ryzen box still work. Put a new 500gb NVMe drive and a 1tb 2.5" HDD in the Ryzen box and intalled Win 11 Pro. Again, it activated with the ASUS MB license. I should be able to sell it on Craigslist for double what the HP cost.

• Like 1

Good CPU the i5-6500. It's what I have been running for the last 7 years in my primary box. Rarely gets switched off and has been rock-solid. IIRC it was ~$AU300 when I bought it.

• Like 1