New monitor.

abarbarian

Well I am coming into a very small windfall in the near future so wondered what to spend the loot on. As me eyesight is slowly degrading I thought I would upgrade my pc monitor as I have more time on my hands now and am spending more time playing games.

My present monitor bought in 2007 for around £499 is still going strong and is excellent for surfing and most duties. However it runs only at 60 Hz which is not ideal for gaming as I play FPS games mainly. Though to be fair games still look and play well on it.

Dell 2407WFP UltraSharp 24-inch LCD display review

I spotted a deal which led me to two possible candidates.

Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - G2724D

Dell 27 Curved Gaming Monitor – S2722DGM

Initially I was drawn to the IPS panel G2724D but after reading a whole lot of reviews and info on monitors and looking at many videos on You Tube I decided to go for the VA panel SA2722DGM.

As I have never had a curved monitor before I thought it would be nice to try one out. Also I thought that it would give better colour reproduction, better black/blacks if that makes sense. Although it is not G-Sync certified this article states that G-Sync works well with it. The information in the article was a major factor in my decision to buy.

If this new monitor performs and lasts as well as my old 16 year old Dell then I will be one happy bunny.

Dell S2722DGM Curved 165 Hz Gaming Monitor Review: Value-Driven Performance

When building a balanced gaming rig, where the budget is not unlimited, there’s little point in buying an Ultra HD screen when you don’t have a premium video card to drive it. And even if you do, there is better gaming performance to be had at a lower resolution.

The best moving image quality continues to be at the QHD level. Running a 27-inch monitor, 109ppi density, at 165fps or higher, produces a better and smoother moving image than even the best 144 Hz Ultra HD screen can muster. And you’ll save a lot of money in the process.

Dell’s S2722DGM is a great example of what’s possible when you round a few corners to get the price lower. By leaving out extended color and HDR, it is focusing on the most important elements, namely, video processing, to deliver outstanding picture quality.

Video processing is the star here. With both flavors of Adaptive-Sync, a decent overdrive and a usable backlight strobe for blur reduction, nearly any game will look good on the S2722DGM. While a 240 Hz screen better serves the most skilled players, 165 Hz is plenty quick enough for the rest of us.

At just under $300, Dell’s S2722DGM is a true bargain among high-performance gaming monitors. Players on a budget will definitely want to check it out.

I hope it lives up to the hype 🫣 I'll post back with updates once it arrives.

• Like 4

securitybreach

Oh yeah, monitors have came down considerably. You can get a 27" for under $200 a lot of times, 4K costs a bit more but not that much more.

50 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Oh yeah, monitors have came down considerably. You can get a 27" for under $200 a lot of times, 4K costs a bit more but not that much more.

Yer right. I paid £185 inc shipping..

My   rig would not cope with 4K. It might if I had a newer gpu. I recon the upgrade to 167Hz and bigger screen will be just great for my needs. I bloomin well hope so anyways. 😎

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Fortunately, my little ol' 22" Samsung is still chuggin' along. I have my Xfce desktop and FF settings set to larger fonts for ease of viewing with these old eyes. Every once in a while, I have to put my glasses on, though. ;)

Samsung-933HD%2B-and-2333HD-LCD-HDTV-Mon

• Like 1

I spoiled myself with a nice LG UHD 27" monitor 7 years ago. The difference to a HD monitor is chalk and cheese, particularly with the smooth font rendering. It runs nicely with my (even older) GTX970 graphics card. Sure, it won't play the latest whiz-bang games at UHD, but most games can be ran at HD or QHD anyway. I also have a 48" LG C1 OLED TV which is UHD and the beautiful picture always amazes me when I watch good content, even lowly HD movies played from the computer. I would never go to a lesser monitor or TV.

BTW, the monitor is DP and never gave me a second of grief with graphics card DP connection. TV only has HDMI inputs however, and works perfectly for computer display except for a minor issue with showing PC boot menu which is easy to work around. Even running both the screens simultaneously works nicely.

A fancy graphics card is not necessary for UHD, even most recent CPU built-in graphics will handle it fine.

• Like 1

kXJ6mTd.png

Well me new monitor arrived and was installed within fifteen minutes. Would have been quicker buy I wanted to finish me morning coffee first.

What can I say about this new monitor.

Firstly I was surprised at the size of it. I expected it to take up more desk space than it actually does. Physically it is no higher than the old monitor and is just a couple of inches wider. Screen wise as you can see from the screenshot above it is a couple of inches bigger height wise and almost four inches wider.

Image quality in The Witcher Wild Hunt is truly amazing. The game looked good on the old monitor but the difference between 60Hz and 165Hz is pretty mind blowing. I have the monitor running through the Display Port and have G-Sync enabled with the game set with Ultra settings. The game runs as smooth as silk with no ghosting that I can see in the fast parts of the game. Details in items show up and textures and subtle differences with light on items really do make everything look so much more life like. it is quite hard to describe. Bets I can think of is the difference between an old 4 x3 monitor and a newer 20" led monitor except this is even more so.

Text is not as sharp and crisp, still pretty good but definitely not as sharp and edges are a tad fuzzy. Mind you I have been spoilt with the old Ultra Sharp so it is a hard act to follow.

There are some problems but they are software related.  As you can tell from the screenshot Window Maker still thinks it is running on the old monitor. Some of the dock apps disappeared an some were hiding and some were misbehaving.

I have deleted old nvidia and xorg confs and rerun nvidia-xconfig which should I would have though got programs to run with the newer screen size. This does not seem to be the case.

Window Maker will not change the background to my theme. I have resized the image and altered the theme to suit but it still shows the old screen size. Ticker is still running at the old settings and there are one or two other small gremlins hanging around. They should all be pretty easy to sort out I hope and if not then later in the winter I might do a full fresh install of Arch as there are more than a few minor gremlins haunting the install at the moment.

So am I happy with the new monitor. I have to say yes yes yes. 😋

• Like 2
  • +1 1

Some strange stuff going on with Window Maker so I'll post it in the WM thread. I wonder if some of that black magic from the Witcher has infiltrated my set up 🫣

Edited by abarbarian
  • Haha 1

I have a used Acer 27" 4K. No idea why it ended up in the used equipment pile, it had no issues. 

I used to scoff at those who said going from 24" to 27" was significant for Windows use. After a couple of days, I scoffed no more.

• +1 1