Talkd ??????????

abarbarian

Did an update to the system today. Nothing major just a small update. Programs being updated looked pretty normal,

:: Retrieving packages...
 systemd-libs-254...  1084.7 KiB   437 KiB/s 00:02 [----------------------] 100%
 shadow-4.14.0-4-...  1173.1 KiB   424 KiB/s 00:03 [----------------------] 100%
 kbd-2.6.3-1-x86_64   1277.5 KiB   454 KiB/s 00:03 [----------------------] 100%
 gettext-0.22.2-1...  1884.4 KiB   481 KiB/s 00:04 [----------------------] 100%
 rsync-3.2.7-6-x86_64  335.8 KiB   309 KiB/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%
 mpg123-1.32.1-1-...   444.1 KiB   344 KiB/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%
 nvidia-settings-...   766.2 KiB   426 KiB/s 00:02 [----------------------] 100%
 lib32-glibc-2.38...     3.4 MiB   603 KiB/s 00:06 [----------------------] 100%
 inetutils-2.4-2-...   309.6 KiB   315 KiB/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%
 libxnvctrl-535.1...    76.4 KiB   108 KiB/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%
 lib32-mpg123-1.3...   278.2 KiB   267 KiB/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%
 webp-pixbuf-load...     9.8 KiB  14.4 KiB/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%
 systemd-sysvcomp...     6.0 KiB  9.19 KiB/s 00:01 [----------------------] 100%
 systemd-254.4-2-...     7.7 MiB   523 KiB/s 00:15 [----------------------] 100%
 glibc-2.38-4-x86_64     9.8 MiB   528 KiB/s 00:19 [----------------------] 100%
 nvidia-dkms-535....    42.9 MiB   532 KiB/s 01:23 [----------------------] 100%
 nvidia-utils-535...   261.7 MiB  3.06 MiB/s 01:26 [----------------------] 100%
 lib32-nvidia-uti...    46.2 MiB   550 KiB/s 01:26 [----------------------] 100%
 Total (18/18)         379.2 MiB  4.41 MiB/s 01:26 [----------------------] 100%

That is untill I saw,

Creating group '_talkd' with GID 961.
Creating user '_talkd' (User for legacy talkd server) with UID 961 and GID 961.

I do have a "talk.exe" and "talkd.exe" in "/usr/sbin" . However pacman is of no help even though the program is installed it seems there is no package for it.

Put brain in gear before pressing enter11:03:41-->Mon Sep 25-->~
-->sudo pacman -Qi talkd
error: package 'talkd' was not found

Put brain in gear before pressing enter11:03:54-->Mon Sep 25-->~
-->sudo pacman -Qi talk
error: package 'talk' was not found

Put brain in gear before pressing enter11:04:09-->Mon Sep 25-->~
-->sudo pacman -Qs talk
local/cowsay 3.04-4
    Configurable talking cow (and a few other creatures)

Put brain in gear before pressing enter11:05:09-->Mon Sep 25-->~
-->sudo pacman -Qs talkd
 Put brain in gear before pressing enter11:05:24-->Mon Sep 25-->~
-->sudo pacman -Si talk
error: package 'talk' was not found

Put brain in gear before pressing enter11:05:53-->Mon Sep 25-->~
-->sudo pacman -Si talkd
error: package 'talkd' was not found

Put brain in gear before pressing enter11:06:06-->Mon Sep 25-->~
-->sudo pacman -F talkd
warning: database file for 'core' does not exist (use '-Fy' to download)
warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist (use '-Fy' to download)
warning: database file for 'multilib' does not exist (use '-Fy' to download)

Put brain in gear before pressing enter11:06:31-->Mon Sep 25-->~
-->sudo pacman -F talk
warning: database file for 'core' does not exist (use '-Fy' to download)
warning: database file for 'extra' does not exist (use '-Fy' to download)
warning: database file for 'multilib' does not exist (use '-Fy' to download)

Searching the net did not help me but I came across this which was asking for help with the "talk" program which was a tad worrying,

Your use case really confuses me. in.ntalkd comes from another era, where eavesdropping was less common, it's all but obsolete now. You will be transmitting confidential information over an unsecured channel.

Having said that, bear in mind that inetd services are usually protected by a system layer called TCP Wrappers. in.ntalkd is usually binary linked to libwrap.

man hosts_access should help you solve your problem.

Like others, I really don't recommend your approach.

So what created the group and user and why ??????

Thought I would ask here before asking at the Arch forums. 😎

securitybreach

From above

The "talk" command allows you to talk to other users on the same system. This was historically useful on UNIX systems, before the popularization of IRC and more recent instant messaging software. It can still be useful for some cases e.g. when multiple users log in via SSH to the same system.

7 hours ago, securitybreach said:

A command/software older than Linux itself (I used to use it back in the day is the only reason that I was familiar with it).

Ha I missed the Arch Wiki article. So why has an update created a user and group on my pc for some ancient program ??????????????????? An who do they thank I want to talk to on my single user system. I know I am slightly barking but I ain't started talking to myself regularly. 🤣

securitybreach

So the package inetutils provides talk and talkd but oddly enough, I have it installed but do not have those groups.

cFvMo2L.png

I do have /usr/bin/talk and /usr/bin/talkd though.

11 hours ago, securitybreach said:

So the package inetutils provides talk and talkd but oddly enough, I have it installed but do not have those groups.

So why when you are running Arch the same as me do you not have the user and groups for talk/d ?? Could it be because I am running with a zen kernel ???

Talk and talkd show up in the inetutils pakage as being in /usr/bin but no mention of them being in /usr/sbin.

• usr/bin/talk
  • usr/bin/talkd
  • usr/bin/telnet
  • usr/bin/telnetd
  • usr/lib/
  • usr/lib/systemd/
  • usr/lib/systemd/system/
  • usr/lib/systemd/system/ftpd.service
  • usr/lib/systemd/system/rlogin.socket
  • usr/lib/systemd/system/rlogin@.service
  • usr/lib/systemd/system/rsh.socket
  • usr/lib/systemd/system/rsh@.service
  • usr/lib/systemd/system/talk.service
  • usr/lib/systemd/system/talk.socket

An awful lot of programs seem to require inetutils, 41 of them. An the few I checked on have no mention of talk/d at all.

https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/inetutils/

Also doing a check for packages there is no talk or talkd package.Searching for talkd throws up no results at all. Whilst searching for talk throws up,

https://archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=talk&maintainer=&flagged=

None of the 11 programs require inetutils either as a dependency or as an optional. Of the few I checked there is no mention of talk or talkd.

So now I have some program creating users and groups for a program that is not to be found anywhere in the arch packages data base. No mention of who maintains it or if it has been cleared for security reasons. Aslo it may pose a security threat albeit a very slim chance of being a threat.

Later versions of talk blocked flash attempts and alerted the user that one had taken place. Later it became clear that, by sending different terminal commands, it is even possible to have the user execute commands. As it has proven impossible to fix all programs that output untrusted data to the terminal, modern terminal emulators have been rewritten to block this attack, though some may still be vulnerable.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Talk_(software)

Am I worried ? Not really as there is little I can do about it. I do wonder why as they have such little use today they are still included in modern programs.

😎

securitybreach

I also have the zen kernel but I think you are overthinking it, IBM maintains the talkd application so there shouldnt be any security issue: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/aix/7.2?topic=t-talk-command

I do wonder why as they have such little use today they are still included in modern programs.

Talk is used frequently in business settings with lots of users, same as things like telnet and ftp, etc. Most users do not use those anymore but they are used in the backend for a lot of other things. 

That said about the groups, I was working on cleaning up groups at one time so maybe I removed it.

22 hours ago, securitybreach said:

but I think you are overthinking it

Underthinking it is probably a better description. More like a blind man wandering around a swamp in the everglades. 🤣

I just spotted the anomaly and followed sparse breadcrumbs of information. I guess that is one way of learning, can be a bit confusing though.

Thanks for the extra information. 😎

• Like 1