Need help installing i386 Core on AMD64 distro

mhbell

OK Arch fans I ran into a problem installing my printer on Garuda (arch derivative) The only driver available is for the i386 arcitexture. How do I get the i386 core or Lib

from the aur and install it.

Mel

Edited by mhbell
add text

1 hour ago, raymac46 said:

What brand and model of printer do you have? Is it working OK with your Linux Mint install?

My printer is a brother laserjet HL2320D USB and it works great in Mint or with any debian or ubuntu distro even though the driver is i386 it is picked  auto matically in any of the AMD64 debian or ubuntu derivatives, unlike arch and its derivatives. there is even a RPM Driver for Fedora and it's derivative. also a Deb Pkg. I could install the Deb pkg in Garuda but have to have the 1386 core pkg installed. I have dpkg in stalled in Garuda but not the i386 pkg. This is just another reason I stick with mint and debian. Never a problem with them.

13 hours ago, mhbell said:

My printer is a brother laserjet HL2320D USB and it works great in Mint or with any debian or ubuntu distro even though the driver is i386 it is picked  auto matically in any of the AMD64 debian or ubuntu derivatives, unlike arch and its derivatives. there is even a RPM Driver for Fedora and it's derivative. also a Deb Pkg. I could install the Deb pkg in Garuda but have to have the 1386 core pkg installed. I have dpkg in stalled in Garuda but not the i386 pkg. This is just another reason I stick with mint and debian. Never a problem with them.

that's interesting.  can you install Gdebi in Garuda?  i think it's a frontend GUI for dpkg?  Gdebi will check dependencies before installation, and if dependencies aren't satisfied (or aren't satisfiable) it will show which dependencies are an issue.  I think that would tell you which core dependency you're looking for.

side note....I thought printer drivers were baked into the kernel after devs had a chance to pull it in?  I've only ever needed DEB packages for printers that were "too new" to be in the kernel yet.  Wondering why your older printer isn't in the kernel already?  Brother is a VERY popular printer to put in the kernel.  Scratching my head here...

securitybreach
56 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

that's interesting.  can you install Gdebi in Garuda?  i think it's a frontend GUI for dpkg?  Gdebi will check dependencies before installation, and if dependencies aren't satisfied (or aren't satisfiable) it will show which dependencies are an issue.  I think that would tell you which core dependency you're looking for.

side note....I thought printer drivers were baked into the kernel after devs had a chance to pull it in?  I've only ever needed DEB packages for printers that were "too new" to be in the kernel yet.  Wondering why your older printer isn't in the kernel already?  Brother is a VERY popular printer to put in the kernel.  Scratching my head here...

Garuda is arch based, not debian.

Just now, securitybreach said:

Garuda is arch based, not debian.

correct, but he said he got dpkg installed, which is also a Debian tool.  if there's a port of dpkg to Garuda, perhaps there's a port of Gdebi, or a similar Arch-based tool.

Here is the problem. Dpkg in Garuda can't install the Deb driver for my printer because the deb pkg is for a i386 and I get an error when trying to install the pkg that says  computer is AMD64 and it will not install. I've installed the i386 core on other distros and was able to install the printer drivers that are needed. will have to check further.

Mel

11 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Pretty sure Garuda comes with yay so just type the following to install it:

yay -S brlaser

Thanks security. I went to the Garuda forum and was told to use "paru" (name of Package) and after reviewing what would happen it installed and built the package. My printer works great now. It installed a cups driver for my printer. I never heard of the "paru" command. But it worked. Nice people in that forum.

Mel

• Like 1

securitybreach

Good deal. I use paru as well. It is just one of the available AUR helpers. AUR packages are not official packages but are user submitted, hence the name AUR (Arch User Repo)

Glad you got it working, I have an HP printer and even with HPLIP I find it trickier to set up in Arch than in Debian based distros, where it just shows up and works.