The Crazy Experiment

raymac46

Back in 2017, I had been trying out Arch Linux installs in a Virtual Machine, and I wanted to do an install the Arch Way on bare metal. All I had to experiment on was a pathetic 2010 Toshiba netbook that was bad when it was new. It was so underpowered that it could not even run Windows 7 out of the box.

My neighbor got sick of it by 2015 and gave it to me. It was a well built junker, so I replaced the HDD with a cheap SSD. Memory was capped at 2 GB. The CPU was fortunately a 64 bit Intel Atom.

I got Arch installed. At first I ran Xfce, but later switched to LXQt.

So the crazy experiment continues, running bleeding edge software on hopelessly obsolete hardware. I just updated again today.

About all this old junker will do is boot up and run the terminal and maybe an ultralight browser. No Firefox, YouTube, or music streaming. But it does show how really stable and great Arch Linux can be. And how good it is for old hardware.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Very cool. The web has killed these old machines, not the software itself. Who would of thought the javascript heavy internet (or Internet 2.0/3.0) would kill the machines.

18 hours ago, raymac46 said:

About all this old junker will do is boot up and run the terminal and maybe an ultralight browser. No Firefox, YouTube, or music streaming. But it does show how really stable and great Arch Linux can be. And how good it is for old hardware.

Raymac....it's fun trying to revive  the older gear.  Even if it doesn't do what you want it to do, it's still fun messing with it.  You mentioned not being able to stream music.  I know nothing about Tizonia but maybe it'll work for you.  For YouTube, there is this YouTube from CLI.  I've messed with the basic ASCII video before and also playing movies from the cli with mplayer but I don't remember doing YT from the cli.  Maybe you can do something.... give it a try.

Edited by wa4chq
  • Thanks 1

This is certainly not the worst PC I have installed Linux on. That would be a Fujitsu 535Tx Lifebook. Pentium 133, 80 MB of RAM, 2 GB HDD, no wifi, no ethernet, no CD-ROM drive. now *that* was a junker.

50 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

There is also a Spotify cli client as well as a YouTube music one

Yep...saw that but it may require a subscription.....which Raymac might not have.  I'm not familiar with Spotify...

Edited by wa4chq

securitybreach
56 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Yep...saw that but it may require a subscription.....which Raymac might not have.  I'm not familiar with Spotify...

Nah, they both have free tiers with ads. I used to pay for spotify but moved to youtube premium as it gives me youtube and youtube-music without ads

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Nah, they both have free tiers with ads. I used to pay for spotify but moved to youtube premium as it gives me youtube and youtube-music without ads

Cool.  I have Amazon Prime but for music, I normally listen to the stuff I have on my RPi .

• Like 1

I also have Amazon Music but I listen to it (wait for it) via Android streaming from my Smartphone to my hearing aids.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

I've tried a bunch of browsers on this netbook but right now the only ones that sorta work are Falkon and Midori. I have removed Otter Browser, Chromium and Vivaldi. They are really a waste of disk space.

For now I'm keeping Firefox, but it is painful to use.

• Like 1

securitybreach
40 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

I also have Amazon Music but I listen to it (wait for it) via Android streaming from my Smartphone to my hearing aids.

Nice