My review of Garuda Linux with Cinnamon DE Part 2 of 2.

mhbell

My review of Garuda Linux with Cinnamon DE Part 2 of 2.

In part one I discussed Garuda Linux with the KDE Plasma DE. With some of my likes and dislikes. I have to say it is a tossup between The KDE and Cinnamon DE’s. Both distro’s have their good and bad points. I am impressed with the job that the Garuda devs have done in the past couple of years with Garuda. I am using the cinnamon version and Libre office as I write this. I’ll copy and paste to the forum when I am done. There are a few things that are missing in garudas cinnamon compared to Mint’s cinnamon. No software manager in the control center. I could install pamac or octopi, But I am finding pacman and yay does a fast excellent job of downloading software as long as you know the name of software that you are looking for. I copied my Thunderbird and Variety from mint to the home directory of garuda so that I have all of my settings. I downloaded Firefox and Google Chrome and sync-ed both of them. When I downloaded libre office I found that I could not read the menus or what was on the tool bars. I was using a light theme. So I downloaded and installed “Only Office” and found it was the same. I switched to a Darker them and all is OK. I will say the darker theme is easier on the eyes. In the theme settings there was a place to install the window buttons on the right side, which I prefer. I also discovered that the firedragon browser is indeed a modified firefox. I managed to get it to sync and all is good. So far I’m pleased with this distro with the cinnamon DE. It is fast and very stable. I’ve only used it for a couple of hours and will find more quirks and things I don’t like as time goes on. I’ll keep the forum posted as I progress.

Mel

see screen shot below of desktop

Screenshot from 2023-09-19 18-54-40.png

Edited by mhbell
spelling
  • Like 2
  • +1 1

3 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

It's cool to hear about but maybe combine some posts as multiple ones arent really needed.

Will do was not surew how to do that.

Mel

Well I lost my desktop somehow. When I click on it all I get is a empty folder, Blank, Nada. So I will scrap it for now and install Debian KDE Plasma in it's place. as I said befor it has been several years since I last used a KDE DE.

Mel