Panos Panay is Leaving Microsoft

Corrine

Windows leader Panos Panay is leaving Microsoft

Panos Panay, the chief product officer at Microsoft, leading Windows development and the company’s Surface line, is leaving Microsoft. In an email on Monday, Rajesh Jha, Microsoft’s vice president of experience and devices, told employees: “After nearly 20 years at the company, Panos Panay has decided to leave Microsoft.”

More at the referenced article.

In further news from The Verge, Panos Panay is expected to be taking over from Dave Limp, Amazon’s outgoing hardware boss and will run Amazon’s division for its Alexa and Echo speakers. 

IMO Amazon is one of the worst companies in the world with their predatory business practices and appalling workplace conditions. Having an ex-MS exec seems par for the course.

Vaguely related, one of the episodes in the new Futurama series is a hilarious parody of Alexa and mindless shopping addiction. 😁

Hello,

An interesting development.  I had seen Mr. Panay speak a couple of times when I was a Microsoft MVP.  I found him to actually be blunt; he would either answer a question, or state that it was something he was not going to answer.  Sometimes the answers were ones that people didn't want to hear, but he answered them anyways.  It was actually kind of refreshing, since there were some folks who would never give a straight answer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 8:55 PM, goretsky said:

Hello,

An interesting development.  I had seen Mr. Panay speak a couple of times when I was a Microsoft MVP.  I found him to actually be blunt; he would either answer a question, or state that it was something he was not going to answer.  Sometimes the answers were ones that people didn't want to hear, but he answered them anyways.  It was actually kind of refreshing, since there were some folks who would never give a straight answer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I do not see how this is anything but a negative for MSFT and for non-business consumers of MSFT.

On 9/18/2023 at 3:28 PM, sunrat said:

IMO Amazon is one of the worst companies in the world with their predatory business practices and appalling workplace conditions. Having an ex-MS exec seems par for the course.

Vaguely related, one of the episodes in the new Futurama series is a hilarious parody of Alexa and mindless shopping addiction. 😁

I know a few people who work or worked for Amazon. At different skill and rank levels. None of them were slackers and none of them had anything bad to say about working for Amazon - yes, even the ones that had to stand in line to be searched when leaving.

As for being predatory - why should Amazon , Walmart or any supermarket chain not try to use size to their advantage?

40 minutes ago, crp said:

I do not see how this is anything but a negative for MSFT and for non-business consumers of MSFT.

Hello,

He gave straight answers, instead of equivocating.  If you were using a product from a company and asked them about a feature, enhancement request, but that you wanted fixed, etc.  Would you rather get a definitive answer, or a "that's great feedback," "we'll get back to you," (and then they don't) or other non-reply?  Having an answer is better than having an uncertainty.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1