Anyone in the forum using Garuda

mhbell

Is anyone in the forum using Garuda KDE Plasma? I installed it tonight and Wow! It is fast anmd so far all of my apps work. It appears to be much better than Manjaro or Endeavour on my computer. It is optimized for speed and performance. It will be a learning curve for me as I've not used KDE for many years now. They have a Cinnamon Version which I will try, but so far I like this version with KDE Plasma.

Mel

4 hours ago, sunrat said:

IIRC it was mentioned somewhere in these forums several years ago. I just checked out the website and downloaded it.

https://garudalinux.org/

Looks like it's come a long way since last it was mentioned. I'm still not likely to switch from Debian but curious nevertheless.

yeah....after a LONG and exhaustive search, I am SOLIDLY in the Debian camp.  It's the right fit for ME.  But I'm still curious about other distros, and like to check them out.  Not because "I'm looking for a new one", but because you never know when you'll find something you REALLY like, and want to steal the idea for implementation on my own system.

And the only other distro that I feel I may have unduly neglected in the past 15 years is OpenSUSE.  It's been around a LONG time, has a solid reputation, a strong community around it, and always seems to survive Corporate meddling.  It's got versions of stable and rolling releases, and is strong in enterprise.  And those Germans are known for fastidious workmanship....I assume that ethos extends to software too?!  It's probably the Debian of the RPM world.  Don't know why I haven't done that yet?

Linux Mint has been my primary OS since it first came out. I've never found a distro that I like better. I've downloaded and tried over 100 different distro's over the years. I like to download and test all distro's on my 14 year old computer that I built. I used the commercial versions of SuSe for many years almost from it first version. When I had a catistropic crash and lost everything I switched to Mandrake. from there to Ubuntu and then to Mint when it came out. I've been with mint since then. With 6 SSD's and replaceable docks in my computer I download different distro's and install them to try them out and see what is new or changed.  This new Garuda is a big improvement from the last time I tried it. It is fast and very up to date with lots of tweeks for performance. So far I like it.

I will keep the forum posted on what I find during my testing.

Mel

9 hours ago, Hedon James said:

you never know when you'll find something you REALLY like, and want to steal the idea for implementation on my own system.

Garuda has very pretty themes. I ran across a video showing how to make any KDE Plasma like Garuda. Might try it on a side install of Debian one rainy day.

I installed Garuda/KDE today. Took me about 1.5 hours to get it to a state I might be able to use it, much of that doing 2.1GiB of system updates which failed first time around with keyring errors. Found a command on their forum to fix that, but then running the update again it had to redownload all 2.1GiB of updates! That completed successfully this time but took 15 minutes.

I did a handful of my usual KDE tweaks, including moving the close, maximise, and minimise buttons back to their proper place on the right hand side. Gotta say I'm not a fan of docks at all, preferring the traditional panel/task manager setup on the bottom. Probably configurable. The themes are sort of pretty but a bit loud after using Breeze Dark. Maybe a hybrid of Breeze Dark and the default Garuda icons might be more bearable.

Another shock was that it used 1.9GB of RAM after boot! Way more than Debian. Seemed fairly responsive though and not taxing on my 16GB RAM.
The big killer was when I played a music file. It sounded quite distorted. Could probably tweak that but Debian plays music very well OOTB. Good music playback (and recording) is essential for me.

Needless to say, I'm back in Debian now.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Garuda Update

Well I've used and configured Garuda with the cinnamon DE and must say I'm impressed. It is fast and works without a hitch for me so far. If ever I was to switch to a Arch type derivative this would be the one for me, but for now I'll stick with Mint as my daily driver. Mandriva and Endeavor just did not run well on my computer. IMHO they just don't have the speed and polish of garuda. Garuda uses the Zen Kernel. JMHO.

Mel

• Like 1

Since I have mostly old hardware running Linux, the only machine I could use Garuda Cinnamon on already runs Linux Mint Cinnamon. I think Garuda Xfce might work on an old laptop but that one has run Endeavour Linux Xfce quite well. Garuda is an interesting distro though.

• Like 1