What happens when you recycle your phone? Inside the UK's biggest facility doing just that.

abarbarian

A study last year revealed the worth of smartphones in our drawers was £1bn, while five billion handsets were thrown away worldwide in 2022.

the technician sat in front of me had likely fixed a few of the more than 900 devices processed at the Ingram Micro Lifecycle hub in Norwich each day.

The 34-year-old facility, with a floor big enough to hold 20 tennis courts, has around 800 employees.

Old phones 'should never go to landfill'

They end up with Ingram's workers via Virgin Media O2's recycle scheme, which lets people, regardless of network, submit their phone for repair or recycling.

Last year, it paid out £36m to people who sold their phones - and plenty are choosing to buy second-hand.

The huge number of phones going to waste

Five billion phones are estimated to have been thrown away worldwide last year, but less than 20% of e-waste is recycled and ends up part of Mutonono's cherished "circular economy".

Ingram Micro Lifecycle offers state-of-the-art solutions to address the return, refurbishment, repair, and remarketing of technology products, all to help customers enable a circular economy.

I was surprised to find out that the company was set up in 1984 and that it operates in 80 countries.  I wonder if they would give me some loot for my spare Nokia flip phone ? 🤑

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 7:52 AM, raymac46 said:

I've got a couple of old Samsung Galaxy models around here which I may fix up for the grandkids to play wifi games on.

Why bother with old phones with tiny screens when you can buy a 7 or 8 inch Amazon FIre HD for $20? https://computers.woot.com/plus/amazon-kindle-and-fire-tablets-28?utm_campaign=Daily%2bDigest%2b14%2b09%2b23&ref=eml&utm_source=Daily%2bDigest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=m_1&utm_content=Subheader-B&ref_=pe_3185080_752250200  They are being recycled too. 😇

Edited by Bookmem

2 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I've got a couple of tablets around here but for some reason the grandkids like phones.

One, a phone fits in their pocket, and two, other kids think they actually have their own smartphone.🤣

• 2 weeks later...