ugh, rpm and deb emailed

crp

V.T. Eric Layton

Umm... color me confused, but what's the problem? Are you saying that there were emails with .rpm and .deb extensions that weren't blocked by the email providers? If so, why should they block them?

.rpm and .deb files are not executables like .exe and .msi files.  They will not run themselves and need to be installed with a package manager. More like .zip or .tar.gz files. No problem IMO.

V.T. Eric Layton
On 9/10/2023 at 2:50 PM, crp said:

So you think exe and msi files should not be blocked in emails?

Actually, no. I don't think  that email providers should have to block any legitimate extension email. I think the users need to secure their own systems and adjust their own bad habits (like clicking on everything in site online or in emails); just as it's not the responsibility of Chevrolet with respect to how someone uses their vehicles.

We do NOT need more of the "Big Brothers" out there in the world deciding for us just what is and what isn't safe, moral, proper, etc. People NEED to be responsible for their own security when using computers, IoT feces, and other devices. Ignorance is no excuse or protection against the evils of the world.

But hey... that's just my opinion. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

By the way... an oppressive society where the "powers that be" determine the rights and wrongs, the morals, the safe and unsafe, etc. creates a wonderfully smoothly paved road to TYRANNY. Your quote in your sig should remind you of this.

But, WHOOPS! This is almost a political and/or hot topic item that is not allowed here at Scot's. I hope I don't get into trouble. :(