Problem with endeavior Duel boot

mhbell

I installed Endevior and used the default boot manage (System D) I boot multi OS's. I installed Endevior on a second ssd along with other linux distro's. Now I find that to boot my primary OS which is Linux Mint 21.2 I have to switch drives. It appears that endevior doesn't let you dual or multi boot if you are using their default (System D) for a boot manager. When installing I noticed that you could install grub. Is there a way out of this mess without reinstalling? I can boot Endevior by switching to the second ssd, but Endevior doesn't find any other OS. When I change ssd to Mint I can boot all other OS's except Endevior. Grub won't find endevior with the (System D) boot manager. Any solutions Anyone.

Mel

Edited by mhbell
spelling

24 minutes ago, mhbell said:

Any solutions Anyone.

If they are all UEFI systems you could use rEFInd as it should pick up all the different distros. Install it to the EFI partition and you can either use the simple "refind_linux.conf" or the more complex "refind.conf".  I use "refind_linux.conf" as it will still pick up and show any available distros on the boot up screen. 😎

securitybreach

The ESP (efi) partition may not be large enough.

1.2 Installation using XBOOTLDR

A separate /boot partition of type "Linux extended boot" (XBOOTLDR) can be created to keep the kernel and initramfs separate from the ESP. This is particularly helpful to dual boot with Windows with an existing ESP that is too small.............

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-boot#Installation

• Like 1

securitybreach

It might just be easier to install grub than fix it. Do you want Endeavor to take over the bootloader? If not, simply point the linuxmint entry to that partition.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, securitybreach said:

It might just be easier to install grub than fix it. Do you want Endeavor to take over the bootloader? If not, simply point the linuxmint entry to that partition.

Not sure how to do that with Endevoir. My EFI partition is 512 MB that I use for all of my Distro's. My partitioning is GPT. I know how to add Grub to mint, but not how to add it to Endevior without reinstalling, Which I prefer not to do as I've done a lot of changing and importing, but I may have to do a reinstall.

Mel

Edited by mhbell
spelling

Here is a temperary  Fix. On my computer with Asus Firmware (Bios) I can boot into Firmware and choose the Drive and the partition that Endeavoir resides on. It is called "Linux Boot Manager". So I can boot Endevior that way, but Endevoir doesn't find or boot any other distros or partitions. Thats why I want grub on Endeavor so I can multi boot unless there is a way using Endevoirs Linux Boot Manager.

Mel

Grub Prober disabled by default on Endevour OS. I reinstalled Endevour with the grub boot loader instead of the Linux Boot Loader if you install with the Endevour default. After Reinstalling Endevour It still did not boot using grub until I found out that I had to change the Grub Config so that the grub prober would work, and then reinstall grub (grub-Install /dev/sdb?) then I had to (mkgrub conf -o) Finally got it to work.

Mel

• +1 1

securitybreach
9 hours ago, mhbell said:

Grub Prober disabled by default on Endevour OS. I reinstalled Endevour with the grub boot loader instead of the Linux Boot Loader if you install with the Endevour default. After Reinstalling Endevour It still did not boot using grub until I found out that I had to change the Grub Config so that the grub prober would work, and then reinstall grub (grub-Install /dev/sdb?) then I had to (mkgrub conf -o) Finally got it to work.

Mel

Good deal :thumbsup: