So ChromeOS is going to ditch the "browser as OS"

crp

ggle is about to decouple the browser from the OS in Chrome. ChromeOS will be a true linux variant.

Considering that ggle is going to a weekly update of the Chrome browser, i guess it makes sense.

Though so much for the simplicity angle.

Posted a few days ago.

It helps with not making Chromebooks useless after 5 - 7 years because the browser gets no security patches.

securitybreach
9 hours ago, zlim said:

It helps with not making Chromebooks useless after 5 - 7 years because the browser gets no security patches.

They get in browser updates just like it does on any other OS.

On 8/29/2023 at 6:42 AM, zlim said:

I think ChromeOS Flex may play a role in this also.  Once the AUE has passed, simply install OS Flex on your "expired" Chromebook, and you're back in business with supported updates.

simply install OS Flex on your "expired" Chromebook

This is not simple for me in my mid-70's and my husband who is 80.

I also think of all the educators who deal with chromebooks given to the students and not really computer literate.

Honestly, any laptop you have which is 8 years old will likely be running an unsupported OS unless you've upgraded to Windows 10 or installed Linux. I don't think a Chrome OS Flex install will be all that difficult if you need to do it. That said a Chromebook isn't a really expensive system so maybe it would be best to just get a new one. Migrating your files is a lot easier with a Chromebook.

I have a couple of 8-9 year old laptops that were real crashboxes until I installed an SSD in them and installed Linux. Now they work great.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

Honestly, any laptop you have which is 8 years old will likely be running an unsupported OS unless you've upgraded to Windows 10 or installed Linux. I don't think a Chrome OS Flex install will be all that difficult if you need to do it. That said a Chromebook isn't a really expensive system so maybe it would be best to just get a new one. Migrating your files is a lot easier with a Chromebook.

I have a couple of 8-9 year old laptops that were real crashboxes until I installed an SSD in them and installed Linux. Now they work great.

Agree with all this.  With the added caveat that the supported AUE period is generally about 5+/- years.....less than Windows.  So even though Chromebooks tend to be less expensive than Windows machines, if you have to replace them more than 2x, the cost is approaching a Windows machine.  But you're discarding the old hardware 2x faster.  Which brings me back to my ChromeOS Flex comment.

Zlim has a fair point.  Most folks have NEVER flashed a new OS onto their hardware and would crap their pants at the prospect.  I know folks who thought they needed a new machine....I explained flashing a new OS onto their device....for FREE....or re-installing the OS they already have, but without the bloat; and have even offered to do it FOR them.  It still sounded so scary to them, they preferred to buy the new machine.  Oh well.....I gave them a choice, and they chose.  But as a person who has flashed NUMEROUS installations of Linux and ChromeOS Flex onto ageing hardware, the ChromeOS Flex installation is about as simple and smooth as it gets.  Google really holds your hand with instructions on how to download, providing a link to download, and creating a LiveUSB media; with instructions to TRY the LiveUSB BEFORE you install.  It's almost idiot-proofed!  Almost...

But with that said....Zlim's point is fair regarding individual people.  But schools and organizations don't have individuals flashing their OS to their hardware.  There's usually an IT dept, or a computer club under the tutelage of District IT mentors, flashing entire fleets of old devices for re-purposing them into Chromebooks.  In that respect, i think THAT is the true purpose of ChromeOS Flex.  It may or may not be supported on former Windows hardware; but on former ChromeOS hardware with an expired AUE period?  Flash ChromeOS Flex on that device and you're back in a supported time frame!  You'll lose "android function", but as someone with a Chromebook, the "android store" is practically useless anyway.  Enact the "LinuxVM" toggle and you've got the entire Debian 10 ecosystem at your fingertips, which has been TREMENDOUSLY useful.

I still PREFER linux over anything else.  But yeah, I'm a fan of ChromeOS.  And if Linux was taken from me for some unfathomable reason, I could survive and thrive on ChromeOS.  And more and more organizations, schools, and enterprises are coming to the same conclusion!

• Like 1

My Chromebook is good to June 2029 so I will get at least 7 years out of it before I have to worry. That s comforting since I am getting to an age where I hesitate to buy green bananas.:w00tx100:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Will Watts said:

I'm curious on ggle 😀

Well with Twiter downsizing to X maybe Google are trying to downsize with ggle 🤪

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Will Watts said:

I'm curious on ggle 😀

used to be stock market symbol.

if you do a search for 'ggle' the search engines will still bring up Google.

• Like 1