Debian marks three decades as 'Universal Operating System'

securitybreach

securitybreach

The Debian GNU/Linux project has completed 30 years of producing a free, community distribution which is arguably the best and one that has served as the base for several other efforts.

The project was started in 1993 by the late Ian Murdock and now has more than 1000 developers in its ranks. It has three streams of development - stable, testing and unstable - which cater to the most conservative of users and also those who are prepared to fix their systems every single day.

A statement from the project said its technology was present in cluster systems, data centres, desktop computers, embedded systems, IoT devices, laptops, servers, and possibly the Web server and device you are reading this article on. It can also be found in Spacecraft.

The statement added: "Closer to earth, Debian fully supports projects for accessibility: Debian Edu/Skolelinux – an operating system designed for educational use in schools and communities; Debian Science – providing free scientific software across many established and emerging fields; Debian Hamradio – for amateur radio enthusiasts; Debian-Accessibility – a project focused on the design of an operating system suited to fit the requirements of people with disabilities; and Debian Astro – focused on supporting professional and hobbyist astronomers."

Debian is also the base for Ubuntu, the most popular Linux distribution. The project has its own leader, who is elected each year in April, The current leader is South African developer Jonathan Carter.

The biggest plus point about Debian from a user perspective is the update mechanism which allows users to keep in sync with daily changes and also move easily from version to version without having to re-install.

The statement said: "Debian at its core is comprised of users, contributors, developers, and sponsors, but most importantly, people. Ian's drive and focus remains embedded in the core of Debian, it remains in all of our work, it remains in the minds and hands of the users of The Universal Operating System.

"The Debian Project is proud and happy to share our anniversary not exclusively unto ourselves, instead we share this moment with everyone, as we come together in celebration of a resounding community that works together, effects change, and continues to make a difference, not just in our work but around the world."

https://itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/debian-marks-three-decades-as-universal-operating-system.html

• Like 3
  • +1 2

The first time I tried Debian was in early 2k.  Someone loaned me his 7 disc copy of Woody.  I can't remember but I don't think I had to use all of the cd's for the install.  It was around that time when I bought a copy of the Linux Cookbook, which went well together since I was new to Debian and new to Linux as well.

• Like 2

I have been running Debian for several years on my Thinkpad T430. I started out with it both as an experiment with a classic "parent" distro and also as a fun enthusiast setup that always required some tweaking to get it right. It was and continues to be a fun way to go. 

That said, the current Debian stable (Bookworm) is about as good as it gets and is arguably just as suitable for a new user as Ubuntu or Mint would be. I still have fun by running the testing version with my customized GNOME DE.

A new user would likely be happier choosing Xfce LXQt Cinnamon or even Plasma as a DE.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, raymac46 said:

A new user would likely be happier choosing Xfce LXQt Cinnamon or even Plasma as a DE.

I've used KDE ever since my first foray with Mandrake 9.3. Tried the rest, always something missing that Plasma has, so always returned to the best. 😉😎 Debian has been my main system for at least 17 years now.

The current Plasma 5.27 is phenomenally good, although I have yet to transition to Bookworm with 5.27 from Bullseye with 5.20 as my daily driver. I do have parallel installs.

5.27 is the last of the Plasma 5.xx series, work is now progressing on Plasma 6. Looking forward to that!

• Like 3

Didn't start using Debian until the past 10 years or so. Really liked the ability to do an in place upgrade on a Server without having to go through a lot of hoops and teeth grinding.

• Like 2

I just did a in situ upgrade from Bullseye MX-21 to Bookworm MX-23 on my good old Tough Book. Took quite a while but it looks like everything has worked out well. I took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest kernel 6.4  too. I must say I was quietly impressed with the smooth upgrade and how easy it was.

Upgrading from MX-21 to MX-23 without reinstalling

If I was to jump ship from Arch I would probably go Debian. 😎

• Like 1
  • +1 1

• 4 weeks later...