I Blew Up Trixie

raymac46

I have been running Debian Testing (Trixie) on my Thinkpad T430.

After my last update I downloaded a new kernel - 6.4.0.1 However it was not configured properly by dpkg. When I rebooted I got Kernel Panic.

Rebooted again with Kernel 6.3 and removed kernel 6.4 and everything was fine.

After some investigation I found out that a kernel module tp-smapi was not being built under 6.4 This is an old Thinkpad battery management module, but it doesn't work anyway on a T430 as it's a newer model relatively.

So I removed tp-smapi-dkms and then I was able to install and configure kernel 6.4.0.1 Blew it up and fixed it up for once.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 2

1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

When I read the title I thought you had blown up the wife or the cat. 😁

I thought the same thing, except I wasn't thinking the cat....I thought maybe the aquarium or the herd of alpacas. 🐠🦙🥸

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, raymac46 said:

According to Toy Story, Trixie is a blue Triceratops.

17 hours ago, raymac46 said:

So this Trixie doesn't require a pump....OK, got it.😲

I suppose there is no question that I would get crud buildup on my Thinkpad because I have run Debian Jessie, Stretch, Buster, Bullseye, Bookworm, and now Trixie wthout a fresh install - just upgraded in place when the time was right.

• Like 2

securitybreach
20 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I have been running Debian Testing (Trixie) on my Thinkpad T430.

After my last update I downloaded a new kernel - 6.4.0.1 However it was not configured properly by dpkg. When I rebooted I got Kernel Panic.

Rebooted again with Kernel 6.3 and removed kernel 6.4 and everything was fine.

After some investigation I found out that a kernel module tp-smapi was not being built under 6.4 This is an old Thinkpad battery management module, but it doesn't work anyway on a T430 as it's a newer model relatively.

So I removed tp-smapi-dkms and then I was able to install and configure kernel 6.4.0.1 Blew it up and fixed it up for once.

Nice :thumbsup:

There are a number of reasons why I don't do a fresh install of Debian:

1. I like to run the Testing version, carry through until it becomes Stable and then simply change my sources.list back to Testing. This always works OK.
  2. I use a different display manager (lightdm) than the stock gdm so I would have to reconfigure that.
  3. I have a customized GNOME with a number of extensions and a dock so I'd have to set all that up again after a fresh install.

I'd prefer to fix the occasional glitch with older packages if one occurs. I guess I've reached the stage where I no longer need to nuke/repave if something gets borked. That is a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2