Kensington Expert Wireless Trackball Mouse - finally got one!

sunrat

Years ago I decided to try a trackball mouse after experiencing some wrist pain using a normal mouse. I read a few reviews and they almost universally rated these as the best, but oh no they are relatively expensive! So I bought a Logitech M570 which was adequate and better than the old mouses.

A few years later the left switch failed, a common problem and fixable according to several YT videos. I had to open it up to clean switches and scroll mechanisms with isopropanol several times before. Of course I totally ruined it this time. Back to search reviews and the Kensington is still rated best in most. So I bought one. It cost nearly twice as much as a new Logitech but one must pamper oneself at times.

It's so much better than the Logitech! Using the massive trackball with fingers is far more accurate and easier than the thumb on the M570, and it's less taxing on the wrist. It comes with a detachable wrist rest which I am using. Works perfectly in Debian too. Happy camper here! 😎😉

https://www.kensington.com/p/products/ergonomic-desk-accessories/ergonomic-input-devices/expert-mouse-wireless-trackball-1/

496937.jpg

266036.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For me, ergonomically, I prefer a vertical mouse.  Although my favorite is a Kensington Vertical Mouse (they also have vertical trackballs), I'm currently using a Permice Vertical mouse. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sunrat said:

one must pamper oneself at times.

Cor blimey that is a lot of loot to splash on a mouse.

You got me with the picture. What a sound set up, I was dead impressed till I watched the promo video 🤣

Never tried one but am a bit sceptical as to how they could be more accurate than a normal mouse. As to wrist strain I rest my wrist on the desk and just use my thumb and third finger to move the mouse so no wrist strain. I would like to try one out and the same for the Permice Vertical mouse.  🤔

I'm right handed and obviously don't have a problem with my wrist because years ago I had to go to occupational therapy and get a shot for my left wrist! I have no idea what caused that problem. I never realized how many things I do with my left hand. One thing, I can not open any jar with my right hand, it has to be my left!

I also waitressed for a few years in my college days. I was trained by a left handed waitress so I was told I waitress like I'm left handed.

• Like 1

I checked out vertical mice and trackballs. The Kensington vertical trackball is thumb-operated, as was my old Logitech. My favourite thing about this trackball is using fingers to move the ball, it is much more accurate than thumb.

The scroll ring is quite sensitive but I'm slowly getting accustomed to not moving it unintentionally. The buttons are light to press too but that is great. 😎

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 5:39 PM, sunrat said:

The scroll ring is quite sensitive but I'm slowly getting accustomed to not moving it unintentionally. The buttons are light to press too but that is great. 😎

So how are things going with it? 

I have a Kensington Orbit on one of my pc's, don't think I have ever used the scroll ring.

5 hours ago, crp said:

So how are things going with it? 

I have a Kensington Orbit on one of my pc's, don't think I have ever used the scroll ring.

It's wonderful, should have got one years ago. After using for a couple of weeks it's second nature now.

• Like 2