Pearls Before Swine

raymac46

Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

Probably sounds very harsh, but sometimes that is the lot of a Linux Advocate. Eric's latest experience with his relatives has made it clear that you can have a better solution to their problem, but if they reject it and want to spend a lot of money on an inferior method, so be it.

At the end of the day, each person has to decide if what you propose meets their needs and there is no use being frustrated if they go their own way. You can't save the world, and sometimes it's better to just enjoy what you know and live quietly among the masses. That's how I see it nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach

Yup, you can't always convince someone....even with very valid points. The saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" sometimes is a valid point.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Hedon James

As an open source advocate, I support the right of the end user to control their system.  Even if I (we) don't understand the logic of that decision.

Sometimes, you just can't help in the way they want you to.  It's not a good "match" of skills and solution.  Maybe that changes at a later date.  Nothing to get frustrated about.  It is what it is...

• Like 2
  • +1 1

I have fixed up some folks with Linux and my best success has come with someone who could not afford anything else. I had an old machine to donate. I've also given Linux powered machines to the grandchildren so each had their own remote workstation during the COVID lockdown.

But I've also had to deal with people like Lillian who wouldn't even hear of anything but Microsoft and at the same time went around with a constant irrational fear of being hacked. She would have been far better off with Linux or Chrome OS.

I advise people to buy a Chromebook because they place more value in going to Best Buy than having me fix up their old PC for free.

No matter. I'm happy with what I've learned about Linux and how it works for me. If others choose to neglect security, run old unsupported software or insist on doing their own thing I shouldn't get frustrated.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Hedon James
11 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I have fixed up some folks with Linux and my best success has come with someone who could not afford anything else. I had an old machine to donate. I've also given Linux powered machines to the grandchildren so each had their own remote workstation during the COVID lockdown.

But I've also had to deal with people like Lillian who wouldn't even hear of anything but Microsoft and at the same time went around with a constant irrational fear of being hacked. She would have been far better off with Linux or Chrome OS.

I advise people to buy a Chromebook because they place more value in going to Best Buy than having me fix up their old PC for free.

No matter. I'm happy with what I've learned about Linux and how it works for me. If others choose to neglect security, run old unsupported software or insist on doing their own thing I shouldn't get frustrated.

Nailed it!  I used to get frustrated with such "illogical" behavior, until I realized those folks are just exercising THEIR RIGHTS for their computers to be as they want.  They don't REALLY know what they want, but they've been conditioned through years of Windows use, and Windows is what they're familiar with, so Windows is what they want.  They don't know there's a BETTER alternative, or don't believe one exists, so Windows is what they want.

Referencing those old Wendy's "where's the beef" commercials....some people just prefer the cardboard hamburger.  They have no idea how delicious that thick, juicy, 100% all-beef patty really is.....and the cardboard hamburger they've always had is okay.  Not only do they stick with what they know, they actually PREFER the familiar.  Some people prefer the cardboard hamburger.  We can't help those people, because they don't really want help.  Not really...we can open the door, but ultimately they have to walk through that door of their own accord.  If they're not willing or able, then let 'em eat their cardboard hamburgers in blissful and willful ignorance.  Nothing wrong with that....it was their choice!  And that is also "freedom" of software choice...

• Like 1
  • +1 1

@HJ I have tried out your suggestion to run Chrome OS Flex and I like it a lot. Making the ISO is a no-brainer in Google Chrome itself and once you boot the Live environment it works - even on a laptop with Broadcom wifi that frustrated Linux Mint at first. It looks like a great solution if you are happy with the Chrome ecosystem.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
18 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Eric's latest experience with his relatives...

No perspiration off my testes. All is well. 😋

V.T. Eric Layton

I was supposed to go to auntie's house today with my brother to grab that Acer and to advise my cousin on some building he's attempting out back, but... auntie, who's nickname is "Typhoid Sandra" because she catches every and any damned sickness from who knows where, called just a little bit ago to warn me that she's sick with something. She's usually sick with something contagious at least three or four times a year. It's AMAZING she never caught Covid. Now she'll pass it around to her husband, my cousin, his lady, the two daughters, the dogs, the cat, etc.

My brother and I will be avoiding that place like a leper colony for about a month.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Best help out I have done so far.

Installed Kanotix to a usb and then installed MuseScore to it. Gave it to a blind chap who had been quoted £300'ish for a windows alternative. This allowed his daughter and wife to use the free software from their WindowsXP. An aslo with the loot saved they could afford a short much needed holiday.

That must have been over 15 years ago.

😎

• Like 1

Hedon James
On 6/10/2023 at 11:01 AM, raymac46 said:

@HJ I have tried out your suggestion to run Chrome OS Flex and I like it a lot. Making the ISO is a no-brainer in Google Chrome itself and once you boot the Live environment it works - even on a laptop with Broadcom wifi that frustrated Linux Mint at first. It looks like a great solution if you are happy with the Chrome ecosystem.

As a person who is NOT a fan of the Google ecosystem, you can easily sidestep a LOT of the ChromeOS tools by enabling the LinuxVM in your settings.  I just made a detailed post in another thread (perhaps VTs thread about relative laptops?).  Unfortunately, the LinuxVM cannot be tested from a LiveUSB.  You have to install on the rails and then give it a go.  But once you do, you have access to everything in the Debian repos!  And once Linux apps are installed, they're available in the Launcher just like every other ChromeOS app, and can be dragged to the main taskbar like ChromeOS apps!  Very seamless!  Try that out and enjoy!

Edited by Hedon James
  • +1 3