posting images rejected

crp

How come sometimes (often?) i get a message when trying to post an image of:

1 file would exceed the total allowed size of 26.047kB, and was skipped

V.T. Eric Layton

If you're trying to upload/attach image files to Scot's server to be posted in your post or reply, there is a size limit set so that massively large files don't clutter the server. You can always upload that image to an image server and post here with just the raw link in the text. It will be parsed and appear automagically, but it will not be on the Scot's servers. Like this "hot-linked" image I just now found on DuckDuckGo Search:

th?id=OIP.FB3yc5vfHHjx0K-HGcLdigAAAA%26p

The limits for uploads/displaying are:

- Maximum image dimensions to save: 1200 X 1200 pixels.

If an image larger than the these dimensions is uploaded, it will be resized to no bigger than the dimensions and the original image will be discarded. Resizing images reduces their quality so it is normally best to leave this unlimited unless your community uses a lot of images and you want to reduce disk space use.

- Maximum image to display: 1000 X 750 pixels.

If an image larger than the these dimensions is uploaded, a thumbnail will be created no bigger than the specified dimensions which is what will be displayed. When the user clicks on this thumbnail, the full-sized image is displayed. It is usually best to keep this quite large so images appear attractive unless your community uses a lot of images and you want to reduce bandwidth use. The settings apply to new images only.

• Like 1

Isn't there a limit to the total allowed per user? The odd size of 26.047kB seems like it. Mine currently shows "Max total size: 548.96 kB" allowed.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, I believe there is a limit for total uploads per member. I don't remember what it is exactly, though.

I've increased the limits - they were pretty low for individual members.

Members now have 100MB total, and mods / MVPs etc have unlimited.

• +1 2

57 minutes ago, Will Watts said:

I've increased the limits - they were pretty low for individual members.

Members now have 100MB total, and mods / MVPs etc have unlimited.

Nice, thanks Will. I vaguely recall the limits were set low due to worries about space on the server. I doubt it would have ever been a problem though as most posted images are hotlinked or on an image sharing service.

It can definitely add up over time, especially with things like attachments. 

At Sysnative we store attachments/images on a second server for that reason - currently up to 55GB, and this is before making backups. :)

It can add to server costs pretty quickly.

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks, @Will Watts. By the way, whereabouts did you find that setting for size limits on uploaded files? I was looking all through that d@mn Admin interface yesterday trying to find it.

I haven't been attaching things here for several years because of the message like crp had.

I'm assuming I can look in my profile, under My Attachments and remove old items to then gain some attachment space.

bang.gif

Edited by zlim
trying attachment
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Thanks, @Will Watts. By the way, whereabouts did you find that setting for size limits on uploaded files? I was looking all through that d@mn Admin interface yesterday trying to find it.

They put the settings in a weird place - mostly under "content" tab for each usergroup.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
14 hours ago, Will Watts said:

mostly under "content" tab for each usergroup.

AH! Now that you mention that, I remember. It's an "old" thing, I guess. Thanks! :)