Final Windows 10 Version

Corrine

via Twitter by @WindowsUpdate:

Windows 10, version 22H2 will be the final version of Windows 10 released. It will receive monthly security update releases until October 14, 2025.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We now have a bit over two years until Windows 10 will be officially dead. It's similar to XP except the Microsoft user did have 2-3 alternatives before XP reached EOL. You could go with Vista, Windows 7, maybe even Windows 8.

This time your only alternative so far seems to be Windows 11 (if you can get around the restrictive hardware requirements.) Otherwise get a new system (meaning a lot of capable hardware goes to the recycle bin) or folks run Windows 10 unsupported (let's not go there.)

I suppose our members here would say: "Well switch to Linux." However, many Windows users either:

1. Have never heard of Linux.
  2. Have never tried to install any other OS.
  3. Think of Linux as some sort of geek niche OS that would never meet their needs.

My recent experience with installing Linux on an otherwise very nice Windows 8.1 laptop from 2015 didn't give me a lot of confidence. What happens when a Windows user downloads a friendly Linux ISO like Mint, manages to get the Live OS to boot and then the wifi doesn't work?

The end of Windows 10 is going to be a big problem for Microsoft and the users.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Hello,

My suspicion is that the following scenarios will occur for most people who are unable to run Windows 11 on their current system (in order of probability):

• continued use of Windows 10 on the PC while ignoring EOL notifications
  • purchase of a new, Windows 11-compatible PC
  • install Windows 11 on the PC using a workaround to get around the unsupported hardware checks
  • purchase of an Apple Mac
  • install Linux on on the PC

I am thinking about average computer users here, as well as home-based or small office businesses.  I put buying a Mac above installing Linux because people may look at Apple and their support policies and be willing to pay extra if they can get a decade of support out of the hardware, versus the perceived complexity of migrating to Linux.

Personally, I find most Linux distros much easier to use than macOS, but that's just me.  For many of those folks, Apple's reputation of "it just works" and AppleCare would provide a stronger incentive to switch from Windows.

It will be really interesting to see if Apple ups its ad spend in 2025 to go after Windows 10 users.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

There is also the option to go with a Chromebook. My sister in law did this and she's coping just fine after using both Windows and Mac over the years. I agree that the average user will likely buy some new hardware rather than try a Linux install.

This is good news for those of us who like to get gently used PCs which we can repurpose with Linux. I really hope that people don't ignore the EOL on Windows 10.

• Like 1

My neighbor recently got tired of his 8 year old HP laptop and bought a new Windows 11 machine. I'm sure he's happy not to be worried about Windows 10 EOL. He gave me his old laptop, so I put in an SSD and installed Linux Mint. Win-win.

• Like 1

Here is a pretty good video on how to bypass the hardware restrictions and install Windows 11.

However I generally find that it's a lot better to use Linux on older PCs and just avoid the whole issue.