AMD Lower CPU Fan Speed?

Rons

I noticed today that it appears that AMD has increased the size of the heatsink and have lowered the fan speed by some 2k rpm on their retail units. Has anyone else noticed this change? Problem is, even with the larger heatsink, the darn chips are running super hot. I had a XP2000 running at 146 f at idle. B) I know AMD chips have always run hot, but this seems a little extreme. I popped off the AMD supplied heatsink and fan - popped on a after market brand and the temp dropped to 98 f at idle. :DI just wondering if I should just go back to buying oem and use my own heatsink/fan ? B)

Looking at my fan speed/heat settings on my Athlon XP2000, The fan seems to be running at about 4900+ rpms (plenty high I would say), and yet without much going on, my CPU (even with 2 case fans) is running about 132-136 degrees Fahrenheit... it's always been this high since I bought it in March.... Have the retail box CPU with AMD fan/heatsink... Been looking for a replacement fan/heatsink combo since I bought it, but haven't had the money for a new one... P.S. I've never overclocked this system... runs hot enough as-is...

Guest ThunderRiver

It is known that AMD has problems with heating..so either you need this fan running like a chopper or you can kiss goodbye to a CPU once it gets too hot.

Golf ProPMHmmm.............The AMD retail pack I have running XP 2000 cpu - fan runs at 2900/3000 rpm. This is on two different systems with two different mobo's and the reading is the same.ThunderRiverYes a source of concern.....but the retail pack comes with a 3 year warranty from AMD. I'm running it on my own system which has a separate 4" fan & shroud that draws air from the rear of the case and blows dirrectly on the cpu - thus temp stays at 107 or lower. I think I'll contact AMD and see if I can find out from them if 2900/3000 rpm is normal ??? Which seems a little slow to me. B)

Something does seem a bit odd (took a while to figure out your Farenheit readings, most people post celsius).I'm running a slightly overclocked XP1800 (it's at 1.6 now, equivalent to an XP1900). I have a $12 Coolermaster HSF (4900RPM) which I think is the same manufacturer that AMD uses.My current idle temp is 110f (44c) with a case temp of 79f (27c). Under heavy load (BF1942) the cpu will get up to about 130f (54c). But the case temps also go up due to my slightly overclocked TI4200 vid card (290/590), it actually gets too hot to touch. The XP series chips seemed to run cooler than the last generation. These numbers are easily as low or lower than many of the newer Intel chips.The spread of case temp to cpu temp is very important. Better HSF's will keep the cpu within 15 degrees celsius over case temps under load (mine's about 20c). If your case temps are too high these have to brought down as even fancy HSF's can't do much then. But seeing as the highest I've ever gotten under load on a hot day was 135f (57c, well within spec) I see no reason to upgrade.

I had a XP2000 running at 146 f at idle.I know AMD chips have always run hot, but this seems a little extreme. I popped off the AMD supplied heatsink and fan - popped on a after market brand and the temp dropped to 98 f at idle.
That just doesn't sound right, maybe the original HSF just wasn't seated right, although I have no experience with 2900 RPM HSF's (must have been done to reduce noise). In reading reviews of HSF's the difference between average (Coolermaster) and fancier aftermarket types is usually in the range of about 6 degrees celsius, you've dropped 27.All of these cpu temps that I've posted are actually 'chip edge' readings (which is what most people use and mobo's report). The AMD XP series all have an internal temp sensor, that provides the true temp of the cpu. Most mobo's due not read this number. My Soltek does, they refer to it as ABSII. That temp is currently 146f (63c, and is set in the BIOS to shut things down if it hits 80c), which coincides with your number. In AMD's papers that temp is also well within spec (<90c). At first I thought that your board was reading this temp, but the drastic change with the HSF switch ruled that out.Back to case fans/temps rear exhausts are more important that fronts (AMD has found front intakes to be of little value if any), and it is important to keep your rig in the open. Not in any desk cubby hole or up against the wall. The deal is to try to keep case temps as close to room temp as possible. Cabling tucked/folded out of the way and a PS with a bottom (over the cpu) fan help.Both of your numbers seem atypical, and I was surprised to see 2 such posts at once.I'm upgrading to an XP2400, from what you've said I think I will skip the retail version just in case. One good thing about NewEgg is for $5 you can get a one year warrantee on OEM cpu's, good enough for me.You might find THIS worth reading.

Gus KThanks for the link to the info on AMD cpu's. I think I found the answer I was looking for. The case I have placed the XP 2000 cpu in has a Sparkle 350w unit with a 4" fan located on the botton of the PS - not to the rear like is in the other setup. Could very well explain the big difference in temps. Thanks again! B)