Stacer - a linux optimization and monitoring tool

abarbarian

Introduction to Stacer – A CCleaner Alternative for Linux

No matter which operating system you use, your installed applications will start utilizing more disk space as the days pass. They create temporary files or ‘cache’ so that the next time you launch that particular application, it can give you a slightly faster result.

But this mechanism is slightly flawed, as you might pay a visit to a YouTube video online, which you will probably never visit again, but ‘cache’ of that video will be stored in your Browser’s cache. We all have been there when all the cache aggregates, clutters, and eventually slows down your machine.

Nice video of Stacer done by Arco Linux

https://github.com/oguzhaninan/Stacer

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/stacer-bin

Looks like a useful tool for a penguin learner. I was surprised when trying out the Cache cleaner to find out that chromium had over 500 MB of  stuff in its cache. Use the System Cleaner part of the program with care as it is easy to delete some useful stuff.

A pretty enough program and quite useful for some folks.  😎

V.T. Eric Layton

If you don't want all that caching going on, set your browser's settings to DELETE ALL on closing. Simple. Don't need no "app" to do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

If you don't want all that caching going on, set your browser's settings to DELETE ALL on closing. Simple. Don't need no "app" to do it.

It seems I have a setting like that on FF but not on chromium. 😎

V.T. Eric Layton

Interesting. What version/type of Chromium are you using. I'm using Ungoogled Chromium Version 110.0.5481.100 (Official Build, ungoogled-chromium) (64-bit)

Here's what my settings for cookies and cache deletion looks like:

n3tp2Ws.png

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... wait. I see what you mean. You have to manually delete everything. It doesn't do it automagically on closing like Firefox. OK, so nevermind. ;)

• Agree 1

securitybreach
16 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Ah... wait. I see what you mean. You have to manually delete everything. It doesn't do it automagically on closing like Firefox. OK, so nevermind. ;)

Actually you can set that option in Firefox

9XC3bjm.png

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, sunrat said:

Also I set Firefox to only allow 350MB cache.

Where did you do that as I can not find an option on the settings page ?

9 hours ago, sunrat said:

I wrote a How-to on Debian forum recently - [HowTo] Move browser profile and cache to RAM

Followed your guide sort of. I did not do any of the PATH stuff at all.

I just installed "profile-sync-daemon"  then ran it to create the .config. Made alterations to the .config. Closed FF. Did the systemctl stuff. Ran "psd parse" and it looks like everything is running ok.

The FF cache to ram should show this from "about:cache"

Storage disk location: none, only stored in memory

Thanks for the guide. 😎

V.T. Eric Layton
15 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Actually you can set that option in Firefox

YES, but we were talking about Chromium.

14 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Where did you do that as I can not find an option on the settings page ?

In about:config set browser.cache.disk.capacity . Mine is 262144 which iirc is 250MB. I think you also need to set browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled to false

Here is a list of FF alterations I have made including those above.

WebRTC implement STUN (Session Traversal Utilities for Nat), a protocol that allows to discover the public IP address. To disable it:

media.peerconnection.enabled     false

If you don't want to sync your browser data with a Firefox account, you can simply use Firefox without signing in.

identity.fxaccounts.enabled     false

To disable JavaScript support in PDF documents

pdfjs.enableScripting     false

Making these changes will disable insecure SSL ciphers and force safe negotiation

security.ssl3.rsa_des_ede3_sha      false

security.ssl.require_safe_negotiation     true

Even though prefetching may speed things up a bit, it may connect to servers without user intervention (which can be a privacy issue) and its performance benefits are minimal

network.dns.disablePrefetch     true

network.prefetch-next     false

Web notifications are often not useful and many find it annoying

dom.webnotifications.enabled     false

WebRTC can potentially expose your real IP address

media.peerconnection.enabled      false

media.navigator.enabled       false

If you don't want websites to store any cookies at all

network.cookie.lifetimePolicy     2

set to True, Firefox will use system RAM to cache certain data, such as images

browser.cache.memory.enable    true

value of -1 tells Firefox to automatically determine the size of the cache based on your physical RAM

browser.cache.memory.capacity   -1 

If set to 1, this setting enables a newer form of the caching system in Firefox, designed to provide improved performance and be more crash proof. I recommend enabling this option (1), and only disabling it (0) if you experience problems. Note that using the new caching system will mean your cached files will be stored under a different directory from the regular cache, namely \Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profilename]\cache2. The maximum size of this cache is determined by the browser.cache.disk.capacity preference. Note that as of Firefox 32.0, the new caching system has been enabled by default. However it appears that a browser.cache.use_new_backend_temp preference has been added and enabled instead to implement the new caching system.

browser.cache.use_new_backend    1 

Set to use RAM instead of disk

browser.cache.disk.capacity   0

browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled     false

about:cache     checks to see if only in ram

This setting determines how many simultaneous connections can be made to a single server. The default is 15, however you can increase the value for broadband connections to something like 20 or 32 to attempt to increase browsing speed. The maximum is 255, however note that raising this setting to a high value (in conjunction with a high value for the network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-.* settings below) may be construed as part of a DoS (Denial of Service) attack by some servers and your connection may be refused or even permanently banned. Simply increasing the number of possible connections to a server doesn't necessarily make things any faster, it doesn't force lots of extra connections, it just allows more connections if they're needed or allowed.

network.http.max-connections-per-server    30

this setting uses the HTTP Pipelining feature supported by most servers to improve browsing speed. This setting affects all connections, both http and https. The only real concern is that this feature is not supported by all servers, so you may experience problems on certain sites with it enabled. I recommend that you enable the setting (True) to see if it increases your browsing speed, and only disable it if you experience problems.

network.http.pipelining  true 

Similar to the setting above, but only affects secure HTTPS connections. Using pipelining for secure servers is much less problematic, so you may wish to disable global pipelining using the setting above, and set this preference to True to only enable it for secure sites.

network.http.pipelining.ssl   true

This setting determines whether to use a Firefox feature called Link Prefetching to anticipate and load up in advance pages you might visit shortly. This feature tries to load up what the web page believes is the most likely next page(s) you will want to view. It does this in the background during idle periods. This can speed up browsing, but may also have privacy implications, as elements of web pages you haven't actually visited may be placed into your browser cache.

network.prefetch-next   false

This site gives some great information and also would be a good read for a new user.

https://tweakguides.pcgamingwiki.com/Firefox_10.html

😎

• Like 1