Linux and the Bleeding Edge

raymac46

Have you ever built or purchased a system with the absolutely latest hardware and tried to run Linux on it? The closest I ever have come is with a Chromebook - its CPU is a couple of generations back, it's Intel, and it was designed to run Chrome OS. So that likely doesn't apply.

A few years ago I got a new AMD graphics card that wasn't registered with the kernel yet - so it failed. However the next kernel update fixed it.

Usually this isn't a problem for me - I'm trying to run Linux on Core2 Duos, old AMD Bulldozers, or Sandy Bridge hardware. Even if I were going to build a new system it would be with an AMD 5600G APU - something trailing edge. I give credit to Phoronix for trying out a 13th gen Intel chip recently.

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Have you ever built or purchased a system with the absolutely latest hardware...

HAHAHA! I've definitely never been a "bleeding edge" type of computer user. Chances are good that I never will be. Not counting my dead shop system, I only have this main system in here these days. I have no laptops, tablets, or other silly gadgets. This main system was built in 2016. It was far from "bleeding edge" even then. ;)

All's well, though. When this system goes to that great hardware heap in the sky, it'll probably ring in my "end of days" on the Internet, anyway. No biggie. I'll miss my friends and YouTube music, but it is what it is. Oooh, I may even have to revert to old tech when paying my household bills...

17xeqc8w4mi7ajpg.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ece6

securitybreach

Yes, I have many times. I currently have a 2 year old HP Elitebook 830 G7 that has worked flawlessly with linux since I bought it.

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Yes, I have many times.

You techie nerd! I bet you use the CLI a lot, too. ;)

securitybreach
15 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

You techie nerd! I bet you use the CLI a lot, too. ;)

Well firefox and steam are basically the only graphical applications that I use on a regular basis.

• Agree 1

securitybreach
37 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

@securitybreach I would say you have chosen the best way to go with an Intel based system. Those have always been my preferred PCs to run Linux. Of course AMD has gotten a lot better recently.

And the wifi chipset supports monitor mode and packet injection as well (usually you need an atheros based chip to do so). lspci shows it as a Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP CNVi WiFi.

I tested the smartcard reader last night after reading a reddit post inquiring about its functionality on Arch and it read my work smartcard flawlessly after installing a couple of apps.

• Like 2

When I built my Skylake build a few years ago it was bleeding edge hardware. Linux worked otb but Windows 7 needed hoops to jump through to get it to work. 🤔

• Like 1

securitybreach
37 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

When I built my Skylake build a few years ago it was bleeding edge hardware. Linux worked otb but Windows 7 needed hoops to jump through to get it to work. 🤔

Sounds about right. Chasing those drivers down can be a pain on older OSs.

• Agree 1