Mad scientist in da house

sunrat

Someone asked at Debian User Forums if Linux has a way to remotely wipe a device if lost or stolen. This member's response is brilliant:-

The laptop runs a level 1 hypervisor managing an a/b base layer image and runtime secondary layered cows.
Upon boot there is a password prompt. There are no user names. This accepts anything, including mistakes.
Only a correct response will get to any prior persistent secondary layer, and its desktop.
Incorrect gobbledygook starts a fresh layer. This layer then presents another password dialog. This also accepts anything.
Only a correct response will preserve a prior layer, make no changes and reboot, start over.
All incorrect responses yield a fully functioning desktop. Also a security layer vm is fired, opens all radios, starts scanning and logging and broadcasting, optionally poisoning nearby devices, and the prior persistent layers have been deleted btw. The laptop remains usable.

🤓😲😎

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

securitybreach

BTW, there is a linux supported professional service for this already:

Prey is one such anti-theft, open source program that works with Linux. Prey tracks your computer if it gets stolen. It installs an agent on your system that can be triggered remotely to lock your computer or track it. You can even use Prey to click photos using the laptop webcam. The Pro version of Prey (2$/mo) let you remotely wipe some files and passwords from your computer remotely. However, according to the developers, remote wiping should be attempted only if everything else fails, as Prey wipes itself out along with everything else.

sPGYlYI.png

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:12 PM, sunrat said:

Someone asked at Debian User Forums if Linux has a way to remotely wipe a device if lost or stolen. This member's response is brilliant:-

🤓😲😎

I always make sure I have and am using someone else's laptop when I'm out in public places.  That way my stuff is safe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I always make sure I have and am using someone else's laptop when I'm out in public places.  That way my stuff is safe.

Way to go! Security by proxy. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Way to go! Security by proxy. ;)

The best part is I don't have to explain the stuff found in the search history cuz it ain't my lappy.

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

You're sick puppy, Neil. You fit right in here with the rest of the Nu Zoo Revue @ Scot's. ;)

I'm honored to be among the sick.  It's where I belong.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1