Updated Lubuntu

raymac46

21 hours ago, raymac46 said:

One of my old junker laptops was running Lubuntu 20 LTS and I've updated it in place to Lubuntu 22 LTS. Seems to be OK so far.

every time I updated a 'Buntu OS "in place", there always seemed to be gremlins introduced into the system.  No show stoppers, but just little hiccups that didn't exist before.  I learned to install /home to its own partition and to backup my /home directory (just in case) and re-install over previous installation.  Maybe it was just me....maybe it was the OS, but updates went much smoother after that.  Keep us posted!

I'm going to have to update my Debian Buster in the not too distant future, and I'm told that Debian "in place" updates are seamless.  I'm encouraged to hear that....and it's one of the main reasons I switched from Lubuntu to Debian, but I'm still apprehensive about that...

@HJ Well it was successful but hardly seamless. The graphical update was rubbish. I had to do it in the terminal and it took a few tries. First I got the sources changed over to Jammy and then I was able to upgrade. Then I had some missing dependencies which I had to fix with dpkg. At the end of the day I had to use autoremove to get rid of some orphan packages.

Pretty scary for a new user but they would probably be using Ubuntu. Maybe it works better with GNOME. I have upgraded Ubuntu in place 10 years ago and it went better than this. One problem I had was a bad mirror in my sources.list which made me the architect of my own misfortune.

I've found Debian upgrades to be much easier and foolproof but I am accustomed to doing that with the Command Line.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Debian release in-place upgrades can be seamless if one follows the upgrade guide in release notes. It's not a one-step process as all 3rd party repos should be inactivated and 3rd party applications removed iirc. One can probably get away with not doing it in most cases but there are regular topics opened at Debian forums for issues when guide is not followed. Driver/firmware issues are the most common.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 6:18 PM, sunrat said:

Debian release in-place upgrades can be seamless if one follows the upgrade guide in release notes. It's not a one-step process as all 3rd party repos should be inactivated and 3rd party applications removed iirc. One can probably get away with not doing it in most cases but there are regular topics opened at Debian forums for issues when guide is not followed. Driver/firmware issues are the most common.

This all sounds wonderful, in theory, and is a big part of the reason I landed on Debian after 10+ years in the 'Buntu family.  While I'm cautiously optimistic, I think you can understand my skepticism?! 

I've done my best to keep my DebianOS as vanilla as possible.  I've used the Debian repos as my "preferred" package source, and I don't add third party PPA repos, and I refuse to use WINE for Windows software...there's simply too many "better" linux offerings to be dogmatic about a Windows program (at least for me).  There are probably 3-4 DEB packages that I have added, only because Debian does not provide them, such as Google Chrome, Teamviewer, OverGrive, MasterPDFEditor, PIA VPN, and a DEB/script for MadeBits PCManFM custom action extensions for my file manager.  I think that's it?!  Of course Chrome and Teamviewer DEBs added PPAs for updating, but OverGrive and PIA were installation scripts that installed to the /opt directory.  And MasterPDFEditor and the PCManFM custom actions both installed to the /opt directory also.

I've got no issues disabling the Google and Teamviewer repos for an upgrade, then re-enabling for the upgraded OS.  In fact, it MAKES SENSE to do that.  I'm just hoping that the other programs, all in /opt, play nice as well.  It's not time yet, but it's coming up soon.  I've kept my OS as "clean" as I can, despite the few stragglers outside of the Debian repos, so I feel I've done my part.  If Debian does it's part, I'll have found my "permanent" OS.  Compliments of the 'Buntus 2-year LTS cycle, I truly LOATHE re-installation/upgrades.  I was attracted to Debian's 5+/- year support cycle (implemented with their +/- 2 year release cycle); if I can upgrade in place JUST ONCE, I'll have gotten a minimum of 7 years out of my hardware.  And if I can upgrade in place just once, I can probably upgrade in place indefinitely....that's where I WANT to be.

But even if I can't, with that 5-year support cycle, installing Debian 2x in 10 years sounds a LOT better than installing 'Buntu 5x in 10 years.  Fingers crossed...

• Like 1
  • +1 1