Italian spyware firm is hacking into iOS and Android devices, Google says

securitybreach

securitybreach

Google's Threat Analysis Group (TAG) has identified Italian vendor RCS Lab as a spyware offender, developing tools that are being used to exploit zero-day vulnerabilities to effect attacks on iOS and Android mobile users in Italy and Kazakhstan.

According to a Google blog post on Thursday, RCS Lab uses a combination of tactics, including atypical drive-by downloads, as initial infection vectors. The company has developed tools to spy on the private data of the targeted devices, the post said.

Milan-based RCS Lab claims to have affiliates in France and Spain, and on its website lists European government agencies as clients. It claims to deliver "cutting-edge technical solutions" in the field of lawful interception......

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3665050/italian-spyware-firm-is-hacking-into-ios-and-android-devices-google-says.html

• Like 1

The campaigns originate with a unique link sent to the target, which,

when clicked, attempts to get the user to download and install a malicious application on either Android or iOS devices.

I do not click links in anything I receive that was not requested by me. If you aren't sure - search before clicking anything; this will save you headaches!

The Android drive-by relies on users enabling installation of an application that disguises itself as a legitimate app that displays an official Samsung icon.

Though I own several Samsung devices. I have never visited the Galaxy app store. I try and disable as much Samsung bloat as possible on my devices.

• Like 2

Cluttermagnet

...It resembled a pillowcase but it turned out to be a sham.

Keep me away from those ball and chain- er, smart phones...

Dangnabbit smartypants young whippersnappers...

Smart phones are almost a necessity these days. I capitulated in 2020 during the worst of the pandemic when I couldn't communicate effectively with an emergency vet, who only wanted my cat in the building, except by text. I was also unable to get into a bank to close accounts for my deceased mother without entering a virtual queue, also nearly impossible to do without a smart phone. I just tried to make my Android phone as safe as I could and be very careful of what I did.

• Like 1