inxi-3.3.15.1-1 has been flagged out of date on Sat 16 Apr 2022

abarbarian

Am a tad puzzled as to why inxi has been flagged out of date  when I did a update to my Arch set up,

:: Starting AUR upgrade...
:: steam-fonts is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: resolving dependencies...
:: looking for inter-conflicts...
:: inxi-3.3.15.1-1 has been flagged out of date on Sat 16 Apr 2022 21:05:52 BST

AUR Packages  (4) inxi-3.3.15.1-1  surfshark-vpn-1.1.0-2  mp3tag-3.14-1  protontricks-1.8.1-1  
Repo Packages (2) python-setuptools-scm-6.4.2-1  python-tomli-2.0.1-1  

Repo Download Size:   0.06 MiB
Repo Installed Size:  0.29 MiB

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/inxi

The AUR offering was last updated on  2022-04-09 08:16 (UTC) and the GITHUB home site is showing the latest offering as having been updated on ,

Version: 3.3.15
Patch: 00

Date: 2022-04-08

So am puzzled 🤔

20 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Well it is an AUR package. I usually do not pay attention to the error, especially if the versions match.

I realise that it is a AUR program. But why was it flaged out of date when the last developer input was only 12 days ago ? I know Arch is a rolling release distro and likes to keep stuff right up to date but flagging something for being outdated after less than a fortnight is just plain old ridiculous. Unless of course there is a gremlin on the loose at Arch hq. 😁

securitybreach
10 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I realise that it is a AUR program. But why was it flaged out of date when the last developer input was only 12 days ago ? I know Arch is a rolling release distro and likes to keep stuff right up to date but flagging something for being outdated after less than a fortnight is just plain old ridiculous. Unless of course there is a gremlin on the loose at Arch hq. 😁

Actually that is the users who are flagging it out of date, not the Archlinux Developers. If you log in to the AUR, you will see the "Flag package out-of-date" option. That is for users to let the package maintainer know to update the package if they forget.

f8yqkgR.png

securitybreach

Archlinux developers really have no input in AUR packages besides maybe the structure of the PKGBUILD files. A few developers might maintain some AUR packages but its separate from their Archlinux development.

BTW if you are logged in, you can flag regular packages as out of date as well. Those will get paid attention to but with the AUR ones it's completely up to the package maintainer to update. They are on their own and do not have to update if they do not want to. Of course, the package will lose votes if that happens.

10 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Actually that is the users who are flagging it out of date, not the Archlinux Developers. If you log in to the AUR, you will see the "Flag package out-of-date" option. That is for users to let the package maintainer know to update the package if they forget.

f8yqkgR.png

Thanks , I am aware of all the points you raise regarding the AUR package system.

Just recently I came across another package that had been flagged out of date

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/garminplugin

as you can see this has been flagged out of date and is highlighted on the AUR download page. The inxi page is not highlighted.

So I am still puzzled as to why the program was flagged despite being updated in the last fortnight. An while the developers might not have much to do with the AUR packages someone at Arch HQ must be involved in the update process for the warning to appear in the update process.

I am putting this down to gremlins or possibly the ghost of a dead developer having some fun. 😎

securitybreach
13 hours ago, abarbarian said:

An while the developers might not have much to do with the AUR packages someone at Arch HQ must be involved in the update process for the warning to appear in the update process.

Actually that is the PKGBUILD doing that, not matching the new one. You can actually just edit the version in the PKGBUILD and it will build without the error. As long as the source isnt pointing directing to a version. Most just point to the latest git build.