audioMotion .js music player/spectrum analyzer

sunrat

Pretty cool.  I like the spectrum analyzer.  I use MOCP when no internet is available.  With internet, I use PLEX media server running on a Raspberry Pi. 

I posted this mainly to show the spectrum analyzer, probably the prettiest one I've seen and it has a few different display modes and colours. Music players are ten a penny and everyone likes different ones, DeadBeef for me or plain old mpv. 😎

I'd love to see a standalone plugin of the analyzer so it could be used system-wide rather than just for that player. Currently I use Spectacle as an LV2 plugin under jalv plugin host and patched via Qjackctl so it can display anything running in PulseAudio or JACK. Spectacle needs to be compiled though, but is fairly easy to do so.

https://github.com/jpcima/spectacle

spectacle.png

V.T. Eric Layton

You guys are just too techie/fancy for me. I use YouTube as my music player. ;)

Oh, if it's something already on my system, I used vlc, xmms, or audacious.

I'm just a boring ol' man.

• Like 1

securitybreach
2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

You guys are just too techie/fancy for me. I use YouTube as my music player. ;)

I'm just a boring ol' man.

I mostly use YouTube as well but that is what I use if local music or mpd for movies

I can watch the spectrum of music playing in Youtube with Spectacle. 😎

I really prefer not to stream music. Sometimes I'll watch YT as an audition to see if I like it, then download it if I want to play it again either with youtube-dl, sometimes buy it from Bandcamp, or maybe some other means.

I just bought Jason Isbell's latest album "Reunions" from Bandcamp today. He is one of the best songwriters ever!

Listen here - https://jasonisbell.bandcamp.com/album/reunions

Or watch other songs - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Jason+Isbell

1 hour ago, sunrat said:

I really prefer not to stream music. Sometimes I'll watch YT as an audition to see if I like it, then download it if I want to play it again either with youtube-dl, sometimes buy it from Bandcamp, or maybe some other means.

I don't like streaming music either.  I want to hear music I like, not a mix of tunes with maybe a few that sound good.  I'll listen to songs on YouTube as well....and if I like it, I'll "borrow" it or I'll use my Amazon points and buy the CD.  I'll rip the CDs to a folder on my laptop.  Then use MOCP or Plex.  Plex also allows you to stream music but the selection of tunes is stuff I don't want to hear.  Now I will stream podcasts......that I like.  Speaking of streaming, years ago I discovered Live365.  I tried "streaming" but honestly, the only thing I really enjoyed was the audio from the Apollo 11 mission.  They had is all from lift-off to splash down.  I don't know if it's still available but man that was cool to listen too.  I remember watching it live on TV when I was 13...

Edited by wa4chq

On 8/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, securitybreach said:

I am still old school using MPD with ncmpcpp as the client.

I think MPD had visualizations.  I could never get them to work.  I think the last time I tried using MPD was for a RPi project.  I don't use it now.

22 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I used to use xmms.  I liked messing with the different skins.  I always went for scabby and flakey...😬  I use VLC for watching my Netflix dvd vids.

• +1 1

securitybreach
8 hours ago, sunrat said:

Well there is always

youtube-dl -x url

That will download just the audio of a youtube video

5 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Well there is always

youtube-dl -x url

For anyone interested in downloading just the audio from YouTube and/or YouTube Music, the youtube-dl manpage has a lot to dig thru, but there's also the youtube-dl --help command. Either way, down in the "Post-processing Options" section you'll find (among lots of other stuff):

Post-processing Options:
       -x, --extract-audio
              Convert video files to audio-only files (requires ffmpeg or avconv and ffprobe or avprobe)

--audio-format FORMAT
              Specify audio format: "best", "aac", "flac", "mp3", "m4a",  "opus",  "vorbis",  or  "wav";
              "best" by default; No effect without -x

--audio-quality QUALITY
              Specify  ffmpeg/avconv  audio quality, insert a value between 0 (better) and 9 (worse) for
              VBR or a specific bitrate like 128K (default 5)

I like to go with ogg vorbis. The command I've been using:

$ youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format vorbis [url]

I have no idea why I haven't been using -x instead of --extract-video, but I have the command in my bash history and I pull it up from there instead of typing it each time.

Anyway, all that to say that users may want to specify the format. I haven't tried the --audio-quality option. Actually haven't tried any other options, either.

7 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Well there is always

youtube-dl -x url

Yeah that's what I do. NEVER recode the already lossy audio by specifying --audio-format , it degrades the quality noticeably. and my ears would never forgive me. Most recent YT video has Opus audio which is a substantial improvement in efficient encoding from Vorbis. I used to use Vorbis for everything before Opus, but when a -q7 Vorbis (~224kb/s) has similar quality to 128kb/s Opus, it's a no-brainer which to use. All Linux distros and Android phones support Opus by default these days.

• +1 1

26 minutes ago, sunrat said:

NEVER recode the already lossy audio by specifying --audio-format , it degrades the quality noticeably. and my ears would never forgive me. Most recent YT video has Opus audio which is a substantial improvement in efficient encoding from Vorbis. I used to use Vorbis for everything before Opus, but when a -q7 Vorbis (~224kb/s) has similar quality to 128kb/s Opus, it's a no-brainer which to use. All Linux distros and Android phones support Opus by default these days.

Good info, but... Wow, I'm heavy into listening to music, or so I thought, but I am not hearing big differences in audio quality between these formats. But I should add that I no longer have the type of audio equipment I had in my younger days. And I don't use headphones anymore, and don't use earplugs. It hit me one day that I enjoy music just as much whether it's being played on a fine system or on an old AM/FM clock radio. Or maybe it was that I was broke and times were rough and having that attitude saved me a lot of money. Anyway, at my apartment these days, I use some rather inexpensive computer speakers. Turned down kinda low, because I'm not trying to entertain everybody else in the complex.

I only recently found out about the Opus format, because of some Opus files I was trying to play in DeaDBeeF. DeaDBeeF in Arch (AUR) was at version 1.8.4 and there wasn't an Opus plugin, and the files wouldn't play. I could play the files in the 1.8.7 version (downloaded from DeaDBeeF's site). DeaDBeeF in the AUR has recently been updated to 1.8.7. Problem solved. (Latest DeaDBeeF version is 1.8.8 at this writing, by the way.)

securitybreach

Well that is the difference between someone who likes music and a audiophile. I can't tell the difference but an audiophile could easily do so and usually lets everyone know its inferior ;)

3 hours ago, saturnian said:

I only recently found out about the Opus format, because of some Opus files I was trying to play in DeaDBeeF. DeaDBeeF in Arch (AUR) was at version 1.8.4 and there wasn't an Opus plugin, and the files wouldn't play. I could play the files in the 1.8.7 version (downloaded from DeaDBeeF's site). DeaDBeeF in the AUR has recently been updated to 1.8.7. Problem solved. (Latest DeaDBeeF version is 1.8.8 at this writing, by the way.)

Weird. I'm still on DeadBeef 1.8.4 from Stevo's Debian OBS repo and Opus plays fine.

2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Well that is the difference between someone who likes music and a audiophile. I can't tell the difference but an audiophile could easily do so and usually lets everyone know its inferior ;)

Haha, yeah. I read recently that most people use their audio system to listen to music whereas an audiophile uses music to listen to their audio system. 🤣

I'm sort of in between. I don't have a five or six figure audio system like most "audiophiles" but it's well into 4 figures.

ADAM A5X studio monitors with ADAM Sub8

Audio-Technica LP5 turntable

Austrian Audio HiX-55 headphones

I mostly just play lossless FLAC from my computer with ancient M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (card is from 1998 or so but still sounds great).

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, saturnian said:

For anyone interested in downloading just the audio from YouTube and/or YouTube Music, the youtube-dl manpage has a lot to dig thru, but there's also the youtube-dl --help command.

Or you could take the easy way out and use Clip Grab.

clipgrab_1683-3.jpg

https://clipgrab.de/update/en

7 hours ago, sunrat said:

Yeah that's what I do. NEVER recode the already lossy audio by specifying --audio-format , it degrades the quality noticeably. and my ears would never forgive me. Most recent YT video has Opus audio which is a substantial improvement in efficient encoding from Vorbis. I used to use Vorbis for everything before Opus, but when a -q7 Vorbis (~224kb/s) has similar quality to 128kb/s Opus, it's a no-brainer which to use. All Linux distros and Android phones support Opus by default these days.

Wow you and saturnian are like form another planet when it comes to music. I can just about understand the difference between mp3 and wav and ogg. 😎

Hedon James
On 8/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, securitybreach said:

I am still old school using MPD with ncmpcpp as the client.

I'm currently using Cantata, a QT-based GUI frontend for MPD.  I like music players with lots of features, and Cantata is the closest thing I can find to Banshee, which is my favorite music player in Linux, IMO.  But Banshee has gotten quite "buggy" on my systems and I can't help but wonder if it's been abandoned, or just maintained by too small of a team.  For a brief moment, Banshee displaced Rhythmbox as the default music player on 'Buntu distros, and I was enamored.  Stayed with Banshee even when Rhythmbox returned.  I abandoned Banshee when the troubleshooting/hang sessions started lasting longer than music sessions.  Cantata has been reliable, so I'm good with that.

18 hours ago, sunrat said:

Weird. I'm still on DeadBeef 1.8.4 from Stevo's Debian OBS repo and Opus plays fine..

Maybe it isn't so weird. You're talking about a version from Stevo's Debian OBS repo, and I'm talking about a version from AUR. So those versions aren't really the same, right? Take a look under Preferences, on the Plugins tab. In the older version from AUR, the "Opus player" plugin was not present. I'm assuming that it's there in the version you're looking at.

14 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Wow you and saturnian are like form another planet when it comes to music. I can just about understand the difference between mp3 and wav and ogg. 😎

LOL!

18 hours ago, sunrat said:

Haha, yeah. I read recently that most people use their audio system to listen to music whereas an audiophile uses music to listen to their audio system. 🤣.

That's funny! Well, I'm glad I didn't know about any loss of quality after converting to ogg vorbis. Acually, I think I do remember reading about that, and I probably decided that it wasn't worth my being concerned about. I've been very happy with that music, and with using the --audio-format vorbis option. It's all good; as long as the person's enjoying the music, there's no problem, I guess.