With Deskreen, You Can Mirror or Stream Your Linux Computer Screen to Any Device

securitybreach

securitybreach

Screen sharing or screen mirroring apps available out there aren’t that good. Even though most of the dedicated options are only available for Windows/Mac, you may have a tough time finding an open-source solution for Linux.

With such an app, you can share your screen with any device connected to your network.

If you have a multi-monitor setup, you realize the advantages of having multiple screens. And, with Deskreen, you can turn any device into your secondary screen, how exciting!

Deskreen: Turn Any Device into Secondary Screen for Your Linux System

deskreen app

I mirrored my Linux Mint desktop to my Android phone

https://itsfoss.com/deskreen/

That is a really neat program. Love the full encryption aspect. I doubt I would use it but I can see it being very useful to loads of folk. 😎

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

https://www.xda-developers.com/deskreen-app-secondary-screen-pc/

Not sure if it is better than VNC or NoMachine. However it is much simpler to set up. 😎

OK, thanks.  Yeah, I went to the link for deskreen and couldn't tell how it was different then NoMachine....which is what I use if I am sharing a desktop, which really isn't that often.  I find it easier to set up than VNC.

securitybreach

Not exactly the same thing but I have been using Synergy for years as a virtual kvm. It allows me to drag my mouse on to another computer. Basically you run the server on your main rig (synergys) and run the client on the machine you want to be able to share the keyboard and mouse with the client(synergyc 192.168.xx.xx).

https://symless.com/synergy

Now it does cost $29.99 now but I got it when it was was like $5 and it still works fine. Since it is in most linux repos, I think you can use it without a license, you just won't get the extra features (dont need them for sharing mouse/keyboard).

50 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Not exactly the same thing but I have been using Synergy for years as a virtual kvm. It allows me to drag my mouse on to another computer. Basically you run the server on your main rig (synergys) and run the client on the machine you want to be able to share the keyboard and mouse with the client(synergyc 192.168.xx.xx).

https://symless.com/synergy

Now it does cost $29.99 now but I got it when it was was like $5 and it still works fine. Since it is in most linux repos, I think you can use it without a license, you just won't get the extra features (dont need them for sharing mouse/keyboard).

I'm not sure I follow you when you say it allows you to drag your mouse on to another computer.  I'm using NoMachine to connect to my computer in the ham shack.  I can open a terminal there and type something and I can open up GIMP and draw.    I'm using the keyboard and mouse on my lappy located in the living room. 

securitybreach

So lets say I have a laptop sitting on my desk or a monitor connected to another machine, when running synergy I can literally drag my mouse from my desktop's monitor to the laptop and then I can use my mouse and keyboard on the laptop. It's like a software KVM switch.

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

So lets say I have a laptop sitting on my desk or a monitor connected to another machine, when running synergy I can literally drag my mouse from my desktop's monitor to the laptop and then I can use my mouse and keyboard on the laptop. It's like a software KVM switch.

I'm still lost.  lol, what's new...   Isn't that what I'm doing with NoMachine?

securitybreach

Here maybe this is a better explanation of Synergy:

Once the program is installed, users can move the mouse "off" the side of their desktop on one computer, and the mouse pointer will appear on the desktop of another computer. Key presses will be delivered to whichever computer the mouse-pointer is located in. This makes it possible to control several machines as easily as if they were a single multi-monitor computer. The clipboard and even screensavers can be synchronized.

The program is implemented as a server which defines which screen-edges lead to which machines, and one or more clients, which connect to the server to offer the use of their desktops. The keyboard and mouse are connected to the server machine.

securitybreach
1 minute ago, wa4chq said:

Tnx for the explanation, SB.  I think I see what you are talking about.

Cool :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...