Chromium Extensions

ebrke

Does anyone have a suggestion for a reliable Chromium extension to do ad blocking? I think I'm going to have to move on from FF after many years--I seem to be having more and more issues with web pages that don't seem to get along with FF. I'm assuming I can use the Chrome Web Store since there's a link to it from Chromium? After years of running FF with NoScript and AdBlock I really don't want to fight my way through ads on websites where I already pay a healthy subscription each month.

V.T. Eric Layton

In my Chromium, I use the following extensions:

- Adblock Plus
- A+ Font Rendering Enhancer
- HTTPS Everywhere
- Reader View
- Search by Image
- Vanilla Cookie Manager

And yes, I'm finding quite a few websites these days that don't play well with Firefox. In my case, though, it's because FF in Slackware Stable is a bit outdated... v68.12.0esr (64-bit).

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach

Ha, I have about 20 extensions.

Amazon Smile Redirect

Autoscroll

Bitwarden

Disconnect

Do not track

Eversync

HTTPS Everywhere

Imagus

Keyboard Privacy

Protopage

Reddit Enhancement Suite

Save as PDF

Session Buddy

Shodan

Stop ClickBait

Ublock Origin

Wayback Machine

WebRTC Leak Prevent

• Thanks 1

V.T. Eric Layton
12 minutes ago, ebrke said:

I've installed AdBlock Plus and Ublock Origin as a start.

You don't really need both, but meh... probably can't hurt anything.

I refuse to use Chrome/ium while Firefox is still viable, and here I have no issues at all with Firefox. The main worry is that Firefox and the niche browsers based on it like PaleMoon are the only alternatives to the increasing threat of monopoly by Google based browsers. Google is way too big and intrusive a company already so we should do everything we can to keep choice alive.

Privacy add-ons I use and recommend:

- Cookie AutoDelete

- Privacy Badger

- uBlock Origin

- I don't care about cookies (this one is fairly new and great because it blocks most of those "do you accept cookies?" popups)

Definitely not Adblock Plus, as raymac46 said it's less effective and whitelists some advertising sites by default.

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach

Well Chromium doesn't have any Google features or tracking. They even removed the sync feature not long ago. It's 100% open source and it's what chrome and Edge are based on.

• +1 2

My point is we don't want a browser monoculture. Remember when Internet Explorer virtually killed Netscape and became used by nearly everyone because there was no alternative? Then IE languished with very slow development, security holes galore, and started to change web standard HTML to it's own MS version so much that web devs had to code workarounds just to get pages to render properly?

Support Firefox. If it goes away we will be back in the same hole with no choice.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, sunrat said:

I refuse to use Chrome/ium while Firefox is still viable, and here I have no issues at all with Firefox. The main worry is that Firefox and the niche browsers based on it like PaleMoon are the only alternatives to the increasing threat of monopoly by Google based browsers. Google is way too big and intrusive a company already so we should do everything we can to keep choice alive.

Yes, yes, and YES!!!

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I even removed Chrome from my smart phone. I use FF on it.

Of course, it's difficult to get all the Google tentacles loose from a Samsung phone, but I scraped quite a bit of it off of mine. ;)

1 hour ago, sunrat said:

My point is we don't want a browser monoculture.

I agree, but at this point in my life I'm just not able to deal with continuing problems from an application I use every day and FF isn't performing well for me. I have got rid of AdBlock Plus based on comments above.

• +1 1

7 hours ago, ebrke said:

I agree, but at this point in my life I'm just not able to deal with continuing problems from an application I use every day and FF isn't performing well for me. I have got rid of AdBlock Plus based on comments above.

Maybe it was ABP or another add-on causing your problems? 🤔 I really have no issue with FF and prefer it to Chromium-based browsers for functionality.

V.T. Eric Layton

There are the occasional sites that I go to that won't render with FF; eBay and my cell phone provider's site to name a couple. It's most likely due to my HIGH security settings in FF. I just use Chromium when I need to visit those sites. :)

My Chromium is actually pretty nice. It's set up almost identical to my FF.

FWbWJix.png

My biggest complaint with Chromium is that I cannot get decent font rendering out of it. My fonts in FF are clear, sharply defined, and VERY dark. In Chromium, they area more gray than black and they are thin.

3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

There are the occasional sites that I go to that won't render with FF; eBay and my cell phone provider's site to name a couple. It's most likely due to my HIGH security settings in FF. I just use Chromium when I need to visit those sites. :)

So you use Chromium because it has worse security?!  🤣

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton
13 hours ago, sunrat said:

So you use Chromium because it has worse security?!  🤣

Umm... NO, actually. My Chromium is locked down pretty tightly, also. However, I'm just finding that some websites prefer Chrome-based browsers over Firefox lately. I was actually visiting a website the other day (can't remember what it was, though) that had a pop-up that said my "Your browsing experience on this page would be better with Chrome Browser than your current one." It actually had a link to download Chrome (for Windows) on the pop-up.

THIS is becoming a problem, unfortunately, as Chrome (and Chrome-based) browsers are becoming the majority, as was mentioned above by you...

On 5/26/2021 at 10:22 AM, sunrat said:

My point is we don't want a browser monoculture. Remember when Internet Explorer virtually killed Netscape and became used by nearly everyone because there was no alternative? Then IE languished with very slow development, security holes galore, and started to change web standard HTML to it's own MS version so much that web devs had to code workarounds just to get pages to render properly?

Support Firefox. If it goes away we will be back in the same hole with no choice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

My fonts in FF are clear, sharply defined, and VERY dark. In Chromium, they area more gray than black and they are thin.

That's odd--I don't seem to have that problem.

securitybreach
12 minutes ago, ebrke said:

That's odd--I don't seem to have that problem.

Same, my Chromium looks normal.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... it's always been that way for me since I first installed Chromium in Slackware a few years ago. The fonts are just not of the quality that I'm used to in my FF.

FF renders fonts really well out-of-the-box, but I'll have to confess that I do have an Extension in FF that I've used for years called "Blacken", which enhances the contrast of fonts rendered in FF. It can also be set to make "gray scale" fonts on websites render as black. Neat little extension... unfortunately, no equivalent in Chromium that I've found. :(

securitybreach
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Hmm... it's always been that way for me since I first installed Chromium in Slackware a few years ago. The fonts are just not of the quality that I'm used to in my FF.

FF renders fonts really well out-of-the-box, but I'll have to confess that I do have an Extension in FF that I've used for years called "Blacken", which enhances the contrast of fonts rendered in FF. It can also be set to make "gray scale" fonts on websites render as black. Neat little extension... unfortunately, no equivalent in Chromium that I've found. :(

This sounds like what you need https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/high-contrast/djcfdncoelnlbldjfhinnjlhdjlikmph

• Agree 1