siduction new installer release!

sunrat

For the first time in 3 years, siduction announce a new installer iso - https://news.siduction.org/2021/02/release-notes-for-siduction-2021-1-0-c-blues/ 😎

It's not that siduction was unavailable as the team have released regular "unofficial" snapshot releases if you knew where to find them, and as a rolling release regular installs are unnecessary; mine is 4 years old now and still good as new.

One interesting thing in the release announcement page is the news of mystery disappearance of their lead developer, agaida. I didn't know about that. The rest of the team have risen to the task of keeping siduction moving along.

16 hours ago, sunrat said:

For the first time in 3 years, siduction announce a new installer iso - https://news.siduction.org/2021/02/release-notes-for-siduction-2021-1-0-c-blues/ 😎

It's not that siduction was unavailable as the team have released regular "unofficial" snapshot releases if you knew where to find them, and as a rolling release regular installs are unnecessary; mine is 4 years old now and still good as new.

One interesting thing in the release announcement page is the news of mystery disappearance of their lead developer, agaida. I didn't know about that. The rest of the team have risen to the task of keeping siduction moving along.

Alf Gaida is/was the main guy on the LXQT team, and he abruptly disappeared from there too.  Caused quite a stir, as he handled their webpage/forums, etc... and he just disappeared with no word to anyone, no handing off keys to the building, etc...  Eerie!  This happened back in the late spring/early summer, and folks were speculating that maybe his disappearance was covid-related, and hoping he'd be back soon, or at least notify someone...ANYONE....he's okay.  It's easily been 6-8+ months ago, and still no word to LXQT devs.  And Siduction is his baby....it was the Siduction version of LXQT that pulled me forward from LXDE.  I had chatted with Alf on forum, or email perhaps, effusively praising my admiration for Siduction's take of LXQT and called it the LXQT "flagship distro", but that I questioned whether Sid unstable was the right distro for ME, despite all my praise.  He BEAMED with pride and thanks.  That is when he informed me of his LXQT affiliation and told me "I think you could run Siduction as a daily driver....our warnings NOT to do that are to deter "beginner" distro surfers from installing Siduction, breaking it, then flooding the forum for help requests.  He also offered that Siduction was HIS daily driver, but if Siduction wasn't the right fit, he was a developer at LXQT and suggested I come to the LXQT forum and find a suitable distro compatible with the most recent versions of LXQT (this was about 18 months ago).  Of course, I did!

I thought his disappearance from LXQT was a little strange and abrupt, but I also knew it wasn't his "baby".  So I could maybe rationalize his disappearance as a temporary inconvenience due to conflicting workloads, life priorities, or maybe even a crises of pandemic.  But to disappear abruptly from Siduction too....his baby....that's concerning!  I sure hope the guy is okay.  Best case scenario I can conjure up in my head is maybe he experienced a severe and sudden burnout and just needed to get away quick.  Prayers that he's okay and getting whatever he needs from his absence...