Bookmem

I just read an article from ZDNet about a bug in sudo that let's anyone who gains access to get root priveleges.  Normally, by time a bug like this gets reported, it has already been patched.  Does anyone know if that's the case with this one?  Not that I'm worried because no one but me has access to my computers anyway.

edit: Closer reading answers my question. 

was patched earlier today with the release of Sudo v1.9.5p2

Edited by Bookmem
V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. Already patched in Slackware (2 days ago) and most other Linux distributions, by now.

securitybreach

That's the beauty of opensource, we get things fixed pretty fast.

• +1 1
wa4chq

The following versions of sudo are affected: 1.8.2 through 1.8.31p2 and 1.9.0 through 1.9.5p1.

So mine is 1.8.19p1...I reckon that means only a select few can gain access to my root. 

Edited by wa4chq
securitybreach
53 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

So mine is 1.8.19p1-2.1+deb9u3...I reckon that means only a select few can gain access to my root. 

Have you checked for updates as someone else said they got the update on MX Linux?

wa4chq

I didn't see anything on the MXLinux site.  I did a reinstall of sudo and it gave one upgrade (not sure what I originally had) and what I posted above is what they upgraded to....

securitybreach

I tried earlier to look up their software repos list or mirror earlier but I got busy at work.