Nvidia's U-Turn

raymac46

securitybreach

I do know anything about the whole ordeal, Nvidia's or Unboxed, but the manufacturer should not pull testing because of a bad test or not mentioning certain features. You can tell a lot of reviewers do follow the direction of the manufacturer when doing "sponsored videos" (Looking at you Linus Tech Tips).

Linus was pretty upset as well..

You might have to start from the beginning on this link. Agree this is sort of a 1st world problem. But it's my view that any hardware maker should concentrate on making a good product, rather than manipulating the media.

Edited by raymac46

25 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

Linus was pretty upset as well..

You might have to start from the beginning on this link. Agree this is sort of a 1st world problem. But it's my view that any hardware maker should concentrate on making a good product, rather than manipulating the media.

Wait a minute.  Nvidia isn't obliged to furnish free hardware to any blogger who happens to call themselves a tech reviewer.  Personally, I've never heard of "Hardware Unboxed", but I'm not into highend video cards either.  But it seems to me Nvidia has every right to cut off a reviewer they think is unfairly judging their product.  There isn't a co. in the world that wouldn't do that.  That isn't "manipulating the media", its CYA. Their mistake, IMOH, was only in using email that could later be made public.  They shouldn't have "put anything in writing" but simply not furnished the hardware.

The email was written like a press release, not a personal communication. Nvidia knew very well that it would find its way onto the Internet. 

Most of the reviewers are fully aware that getting a "free" video card isn't the point. They simply cannot do their reviews if Nvidia cuts them off from pre-shipment drivers and other info. So they are out of business. Nvidia can also get its partners like MSI or ASUS to blacklist the reviewer.

Hardware Unboxed isn't as popular as Linus Tech Tips or JayzTwoCents but he does have around 700K subscribers on YouTube. He did not give unfavorable reviews - in fact he liked many features of the latest Nvidia card. He didn't agree that RTX technology was as important as Nvidia claims it is.

I agree with you that if Nvidia had just shut up and not supplied the cards that would have been the best course of action.

Edited by raymac46