Mozilla's Creepy Devices Security Guide

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

BTW any piece of electronic hardware you get will have horrid privacy, that is the world we live in. It's like the security gap back in the 90s-2000 before antivirus, anti-malware, etc. We do not have any security for IoT devices and other electronics right now. Until there is security for them, they will all be privacy nightmares.

• Agree 2

Nothing smart in our home including the two people who live there.!

We own one item on the first link, Fire HD.  Alexa is disabled and I refuse to sign up for Amazon photos. I don't want any pictures I might take auto uploaded to the cloud. It also auto uploads any pictures you might copy to the tablet from a phone or computer. I did the same thing with my android devices: turned off "hey Google" and don't want photos "auto saved" in the cloud.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 2

securitybreach
8 minutes ago, zlim said:

Nothing smart in our home including the two people who live there.!

We own one item on the first link, Fire HD.  Alexa is disabled and I refuse to sign up for Amazon photos. I don't want any pictures I might take auto uploaded to the cloud. It also auto uploads any pictures you might copy to the tablet from a phone or computer. I did the same thing with my android devices: turned off "hey Google" and don't want photos "auto saved" in the cloud.

BTW turning of the assistance do not prevent them from calling home and capturing everything.

• +1 1

6 hours ago, securitybreach said:

BTW turning of the assistance do not prevent them from calling home and capturing everything.

I thought you had to activate them first. If you never actually use them--for example, disable and don't address any requests to Alexa--does it still capture stuff?

securitybreach
2 minutes ago, ebrke said:

I thought you had to activate them first. If you never actually use them--for example, disable and don't address any requests to Alexa--does it still capture stuff?

Of course, do you think these companies care if you have an account or not? Facebook proved this years ago when it came out that they were tracking everyone across the web, member or not.

V.T. Eric Layton

I've gotten so that I don't even trust my smartphone when I disable the cameras, mics, etc. The service provider still has root access to the phone at all times, so who knows what they're doing in the background that I can't see. Just because they allow you to turn stuff off, doesn't mean it's actually getting turned off.

Sad that I've become such a jaded cynic about this stuff, but if you've been reading some of the books I've read, you learn to NOT EVER TRUST any of these #Big_Tech and #Big_Corp entities. :(

• +1 1