Jump to content
sunrat

Modem senses threat and commits harakiri

Recommended Posts

sunrat

My neighbourhood has just been connected to the NBN (National Broadband Network). You've probably read my comments about disdain for the government ditching a complete FTTP scheme to a hodgepodge using old copper phone lines (up to 100 years old) and reprovisioning the old Foxtel cable TV network. Politically motivated not technical, just because the other main party was in power and devised the original FTTP scheme. My area gets broadband over cable.

A sales rep called me from TPG Internet who I was with on ADSL and offers to switch me to NBN. They had been offering plans with minimum being $60 whereas I was paying $50 for ADSL, so offered the same deal on 12 month contract. Nope, don't want contract. So they offered same deal on no contract, free installation and a free new modem. Deal, I said!

Installation happened a week later with minor glitches and it's the about same as ADSL - 12mb/s. I can get 48Mb/s for $70 or 100Mb/s for $90. I also just changed from a $40 phone plan to a $15 plan with a different provider so upgrade may be in the future too, although it's probably fast enough for my purposes now.

Anyway, back to the topic title. About half an hour after being on the phone to the rep and arranging the changeover (and new modem), my old modem decides life in not worth living any more and just stops working. No connection, nada. Lights were on but no-one was home. It was almost as though the thing was sentient and sensed it's imminent redundancy, so decided to end it all right there and then!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach

Wow, that is really crapping speeds for those prices. I get 1gbps up and down for $60 bucks from ATT here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sunrat
22 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Wow, that is really crapping speeds for those prices. I get 1gbps up and down for $60 bucks from ATT here.

 

Remember though $AU1.00 = $US 0.65

But yeah, refer to my previous comment about our idiotic government totally screwing up our chance of having a decent, modern fibre network for everyone. My previous house was in a test area for fibre and we got FTTP which was magic compared to the current one. Then the government fubared the whole scheme. You can still get FTTP but may have to pay several thousand dollars for the installation.

Thankfully the govt. didn't screw up the COVID-19 response as bad as the internet.

  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
48 minutes ago, sunrat said:

 

Remember though $AU1.00 = $US 0.65

But yeah, refer to my previous comment about our idiotic government totally screwing up our chance of having a decent, modern fibre network for everyone. My previous house was in a test area for fibre and we got FTTP which was magic compared to the current one. Then the government fubared the whole scheme. You can still get FTTP but may have to pay several thousand dollars for the installation.

Thankfully the govt. didn't screw up the COVID-19 response as bad as the internet.

 

Ah ok, that makes sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abarbarian
On 5/6/2020 at 4:46 AM, sunrat said:

No connection, nada. Lights were on but no-one was home. It was almost as though the thing was sentient and sensed it's imminent redundancy, so decided to end it all right there and then!

 

An they say machines do not have souls 😲

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
raymac46

We generally have cruddy Internet service costs compared to the US. Here I pay about $110 Canadian for unlimited 150 Mbps down and 15 up. I get close to 200 down most of the time.

We have a duopoly in Internet access so no real competition. That price includes the gateway so I don't need a stand-alone modem. The supplied one works well anywhere in the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goretsky

Hello,


Could the salescritter you spoke with decommissioned your old ADSL connection once they put through the order for your new cable connection?

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sunrat
1 hour ago, goretsky said:

Could the salescritter you spoke with decommissioned your old ADSL connection once they put through the order for your new cable connection?

 

No it just died. I plugged in the new modem to the same old ADSL line a couple of days later and it worked perfectly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...