Jump to content
crp

well after all these years i've finally gotten a pi

Recommended Posts

crp
Posted (edited)

Raspberry Pi 4 , with a case and NOOBS 16 from Chicago Electronic. original intent was to use it at work as a redirector with simpleproxy , now thinking of using it for serving up static web pages for 3 different sites. Hope to have things together tomorrow.

 

Edited by crp
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach

Check out Pi-hole https://pi-hole.net/

 

Pi-hole is a Linux network-level advertisement and Internet tracker blocking application which acts as a DNS sinkhole, intended for use on a private network.

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton

I have no pie. I prefer banana bread. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crp

uh-oh, not off to a good start. splash screen shows up , couple of modules get loaded than blank screen.

keyboard is seen, if i do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete the pi reboots. but just flashing cursor in upper left 3 seconds after the raspian splash screen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach

What distro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crp

debian flavor of raspbery linux. turns out Alt-F1 gives a console screen, startx does not work. Monitor is hooked up via usb , i don''t think xserver can deal with that. so i'm stuck with command line. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
On 4/30/2020 at 1:10 AM, crp said:

Monitor is hooked up via usb , i don''t think xserver can deal with that. so i'm stuck with command line. 

 

 

That is your problem. You can't use a usb monitor on a RPI without some xorg configuration: https://www.mimomonitors.com/pages/using-our-usb-displays-with-the-raspberry-pi-3

 

It's not a plug and play sort of thing on a RPi. Do you not have a HDMI display to use? Once you set up ssh, you don't need a display connected as you can  just control it over the network from one of your other machines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crp
On 5/1/2020 at 7:52 PM, securitybreach said:

 

That is your problem. You can't use a usb monitor on a RPI without some xorg configuration: https://www.mimomonitors.com/pages/using-our-usb-displays-with-the-raspberry-pi-3

 

It's not a plug and play sort of thing on a RPi. Do you not have a HDMI display to use? Once you set up ssh, you don't need a display connected as you can  just control it over the network from one of your other machines.

oh, I can see the console when I press Alt-F1. have to brush up on how to change network configuration from the command line. is sshserver on automatically?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
1 minute ago, crp said:

oh, I can see the console when I press Alt-F1. have to brush up on how to change network configuration from the command line. is sshserver on automatically?

 

 

Yes, physically it works but you have to manually configure xorg.conf to get it to show the graphical environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...