abarbarian

Which 2 in 1 or laptop for 6 year old ?

abarbarian

I need some help .................................. I have just spent the last two days looking at and being bemused by too much choice. I would like for this portable machine to have,

Touch screen with a pen.

Decent screen ie: good colour, viewing angles.

USB C.

Wireless ac, Bluetooth.

Sturdy chassis.

Ssd or better still nvme drive.

Nippy cpu.

Decent graphics card or inbuilt.

Webcam

Fingerprint reader ?

This will be for my niece, I am tending towards a "2 in 1" as I think that format would be ideal for a child as would the ability to draw and write on the screen. I want to provide a machine that will run sweetly today and for at least a couple of years going forward, possibly till she goes to the big school at age eleven, when she would need a more uptodate pc.

So no cheap and cheerful slow flimsy rubbish and no expensive Mac types either.

The unit will probably have Windows 10 installed but I would like to have a machine that will run the penguin nicely with no major quirks as I may install MX-19 on it.

Not a lot to ask for I know 😎

Trouble is I am confused,

Cheap and cheerfull under £300

i5 with integrated graphics £500 3 year warranty

i5 integrated graphics needs extra pen £650

i7 integrated graphics 3 year guarantee £700

There are lots of products around for £300 to £400 but they have i3 or lesser cpu's and I don't think they would give a decent experience unless you were just surfing. In the £300 to £600 range you can find i5 and similar with integrated graphics. At the £600 to £750 range you can get i7 with integrated graphics.

If I am spending £750 I might as well spend £900 to £1,300 and get a i5 with RTX2060 graphics. However I think that last option is a tad over the top for a six year old.

So I am a tad lost do I stick with a 2 in 1 which is very appealing and the best I have found so far is the Medion with the i5 and 3 year guarantee. Or would I get better value with an ordinary laptop ?

Help me out folks.....................please. 😎

raymac46

I am no fan of touch screens so my newest ASUS Vivobook doesn't have one. That said if you want a touch screen I'd go with a 2 in 1 I think. i5 or Ryzen 5 should do the trick, and an SSD/M.2 drive is a must.

My only advice if you want to run Linux is no combo integrated/discrete graphics - especially AMD. Those things are a bear to get working in Linux. AMD graphics on their own are no problem.

Haven't come across Medion but I have had pretty good luck with Lenovo.

V.T. Eric Layton

This is waaaaaay out of my area of expertise. All I can say is good luck with it. :)

goretsky

Hello,

A Microsoft Surface Go, perhaps?  That start at about $400 in the US.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky